Thread: Sega Megadrive 2

Thanks

Smile Sega Megadrive 2

Hi all,
    I bought a second hand Sega but when I try to tune it to the tv I can only get a black screen. I have used a new flatscreen and an old box tv. Get the same results on both tvs. It does have a small controller box with a switch between I and G. Anyone have any ideas?? Am I doing something wrong??

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Re: Sega Megadrive 2

Make sure you have the lead in the correct port on the back of the machine, there is standard RF and also a yellow connector (forgot the name but it is where you have yellow for vid and red / white for L&R Audio).

The control box, if you look at it you will see that one side when switched over will point to an empty input (used for rooftop aerial input) so switch it to the side that is hard wired in.

On a modern flat screen you need to tell the TV to search for analog signals not digital and it should be just fine with the old CRT.

Also make sure you have a game in there when you turn it on so you have a reference point once it actually finds something to eventually fine tune, if there isn't a game in there you get just a blank / black screen.

I would suggest buying a scart lead from Cool Novelties or Retro Gaming Cables looking forward.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    Make sure you have the lead in the correct port on the back of the machine, there is standard RF and also a yellow connector (forgot the name but it is where you have yellow for vid and red / white for L&R Audio).

The control box, if you look at it you will see that one side when switched over will point to an empty input (used for rooftop aerial input) so switch it to the side that is hard wired in.

On a modern flat screen you need to tell the TV to search for analog signals not digital and it should be just fine with the old CRT.

Also make sure you have a game in there when you turn it on so you have a reference point once it actually finds something to eventually fine tune, if there isn't a game in there you get just a blank / black screen.

I would suggest buying a scart lead from Cool Novelties or Retro Gaming Cables looking forward.
    The Megadrive 2 only has two plugs at the back. The power in and a 9pin Din plug output to a small RF box. The box has the tv antenna cable on it to plug into the tv. The other one is the aerial input, after you take the aerial out of the tv but I think I only need this plugged in if I want to switch between the game and tv... which I don't.

I get the black screen but even fine tuning the tv comes up with nothing.. I'm thinking maybe something wrong with the RF box and a new lead will be a better option.

Thanks

On my console I only have a power in and a 9 Pin Din plug out. It goes to an RF box that allows you to connect to the aerial in on your tv. The other side of the RF box has an Aerial in where you plug the aerial from the tv too switch between tv and game without unplugging it. I don't think I need to plug the tv aerial into the box as I wont be switching between game and tv so I'm starting to think there is something wrong with the RF box or RF cable into it.. might be easier to get a new lead for it

Thread Information