Thread: Want to get a PS4\PRO, PC guy here.

Thanks

Question Want to get a PS4\PRO, PC guy here.

Hi everyone,

My last console was probably something like Sega mega drive or something similar many many years a go and it was PC gaming for me all this time.

I am at a point where i feel like PC gaming is not what it used to be and i would like to experience all the exclusives on the PlayStation platform like the Last of Us and Horizon Zero Dawn, and may more games that will be released this year and beyond.

I'm a graphics guy and my current set up is a I7, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD, GTX1080 and 3440x1440 monitor which will be my primary console monitor.
    i'm OK with having black bars on the sides of the screen but i'm not sure what is the best console for me, is the PS4 or the PRO, i know that PRO can be very versatile and you can change 1080p @ 60hz or 4K @ 30 in some cases but if i have a 1440p screen how would that work. is the support for the 1080p and 4k modes is coded into all the games or this is per game bases?

Visual quality is important as i'm coming from a decent PC and i was always sensitive to jagged edges and any graphical imperfections however i can enjoy old games like F.E.A.R for example like i'm playing again right now.

Thanks to everyone who helps me out.

Apologies for any grammatical errors, English is not my first or second language

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Re: Want to get a PS4\PRO, PC guy here.

I can't comment on PC gaming as my current set-up is not powered for it and my last game was Civ 3, but I have a PS4 pro. As I'm sure you're aware the PS4 can't compete with the best GPUs available for PCs and may feel like a step down from your 1080. Having said that, the last of us is an incredible game, the best FPS I've played, both campaign and multiplayer, and it runs pretty smoothly @ 4k, 60fps, HDR on my setup (don't quote me on that, I think you may have to sacrifice to 30fps to gain HDR, I'm not 100%). I have excellent eyesight and a decent tv and it looks pretty good to me.

HDR implementation is also an advantage PS4 pro has over PC gaming of course.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vidati View Post

Apologies for any grammatical errors, English is not my first or second language
    All we expect is that a post is understandable and you manage that easily. Any grammatical errors are minor, and to be honest, your English is good or better than quite a few people that do have English as a first language.

You will see some posts where people correct other's grammar or spelling, but don't worry about it. Lots of us have known each other tor 10 years or more, and it's just friends messing about.

Welcome to HEXUS.

Registered+
    Thanks

get a PS4 pro, it will do 4K
    and if games support 4K then all is good if they only support 1080p no worries it will all work ...

I've got a 55" samsung 4k TV [at work and use a pro there ]

however - I do prefer PC for games YMMV

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I do hope that Sony follows the lead of Microsoft and introduces FreeSync and keyboard and mouse compatibility too!

I would get the PS4 Pro - the GPU is probably as fast or faster than an RX480/RX580 it appears.

Edit!!

Oops,I meant around RX470 level for the PS4 PRO(was thinking about the XBox One X).
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 19-03-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

I'm primarily a PC gamer, but picked up a PS4Pro just over a year ago - and the VR kit just before xmas. The exclusives are worth it (Last of Us, Uncharted, GT Sport, Wipeout) as well as a lot of the VR titles.

It's great to be able to just fire up a game in the living room, specially the 2 player co-ops you can play with your wife without her leaving crumbs all over your PC den.

7. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (14-06-2018)

Thanks

Thanks for your replies guys and the warm welcome

Speaking of VR, I own Oculus rift DK2 for a couple of years now and its been a blast! Alien: Isolation comes to mind and i recommend playing it, just be prepared to swap you underwear often as the game intense!

On PC you can force a game into VR mode even if the game was not designed for that purposes to begin with, is it similar to PC in that regard? and what kind of game would you recommend for PSVR, you can skip anything that is available on PC like FO4 or Skyrim.

Cheers guys.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Vidati View Post
    Speaking of VR, I own Oculus rift DK2 for a couple of years now and its been a blast! Alien: Isolation comes to mind and i recommend playing it, just be prepared to swap you underwear often as the game intense!

On PC you can force a game into VR mode even if the game was not designed for that purposes to begin with, is it similar to PC in that regard? and what kind of game would you recommend for PSVR, you can skip anything that is available on PC like FO4 or Skyrim.
    I've had a Rift and Vive and ended up moving them on as I never used them in my office where my gaming rig lives and didn't have time to really do much on the software dev side. The PSVR has stayed - everyone in the house can use it and it always ends up on when we have people round.

The PS4 does let you play any game on a huge virtual screen - which is good if you want to be playing something while someone else is watching TV. The resolution isn't quite as good though, but acceptable for most titles.

There's not much on PS4 VR that isn't available on PC - GT Sport's VR mode is VERY good, but incredibly cut down - to the point it's not really a "game" and more of a playable tech demo.

Statik is fantastik if you like puzzle games, pretty sure that's a PS exclusive. Driveclub, Farpoint and Tumble worth a look too.

Thanks

Thanks everyone

I'm really impressed with the content of the games.

Horizon is incredible! and Uncharted is showing its age (the first one) but its actually very nice. I see that the new tomb raider games drew a lot of inspiration from this series.

Again, Thanks for answering all my questions.

Registered+
    Thanks

I recently played through the Uncharted games on the PS4, the re-mastered first 3 and then number 4. You're right, I wasn't that impressed with the graphics of the first 3, but when you get to number 4 there's a really nice leap in the quality of the graphics. I'd also recommend The Last Of Us, which has some lovely graphics and has an amazing, if sometimes heart-wrenching storyline.

Thanks

All these PS4 games can be played without internet? Thinking of getting a PS4 myself and dont do multiplayer myself.

Also, is the Pro version a must? Lastly, can one watch dvd's on a playstation? Or, from an external hard drive? Sorry for noob questions

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by Lost4words View Post
    All these PS4 games can be played without internet? Thinking of getting a PS4 myself and dont do multiplayer myself.

Also, is the Pro version a must? Lastly, can one watch dvd's on a playstation? Or, from an external hard drive? Sorry for noob questions
    By internet you mean Playstation plus, if so then all the PS4 games listed can be played without it. (But internet is needed for system updates and patches)

The PS4 plays DVD and Bluray discs (But needs access to internet to activate DVD/Bluray playback the first time you use the feature)

The Pro isnt a must, but if you have a 4K TV i would get a PRO, but from what i can tell some newer games i.e. RDR 2 show a better picture with a PRO.

External hard drive i dont know, but it looks like it can do that too. https://www.geek.com/games/ps4-can-f...layer-1625413/

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

A lot of games do have enhancements for pro, typically 4k output, HDR, higher resolution textures, more particles etc.

I'd go for the pro, specially if you can get a good deal on it and have a decent TV.

I picked up Astro Bot Rescue Mission - a PSVR exclusive. It's a bit cartoony but it's an excellent game and well implemented in VR, and Beat Saber is coming soon.

Thanks

So i would need to activate online to play dvds on the PS4?

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by Lost4words View Post
    So i would need to activate online to play dvds on the PS4?
    It looks like putting the latest firmware and connecting to internet once to download the Bluray player.

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-use-a-PS...s-and-Blu-rays

But is it because you dont want to connect to the internet? or there isnt any where its being kept..

Thread Information