Thread: Now was THAT a Cavalry Charge, or WHAT?

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Talking Now was THAT a Cavalry Charge, or WHAT?

Oh....you all know....its Return of the King...and WHAT a FANTASTIC charge

I apologise to Sair, who has a huge bruise on her leg from my (non passionate) squeeze of her leg in the back row of the cinema

I thought the entire film started out, feeling a bit "small"..as though it was short on budget....and for 15 minutes I felt as though I was in for a minor let-down

but then the sheer dimensions of the army's came to the fore and as the film grew in speed, my excitement grew and I have to say....

WHAT A CAVALRY CHARGE....

that is one of Cinemas FINEST MOMENTS....to see the wedge of cavalrymen cut a swathe through the orc's flanks was just superb....it was AMAZING in its size

And Eowyn gets my vote as Personality of the film....wothout her and Merry hidden in the Riders of Rohans ranks, the sheer terror would not have been portrayed correctly......she was brave and stoic and she was terrified.....

what a GREAT FILM

only point though......if anyone sees Theoben King, ask him to next time, run the FLAT of his sword along the spear mens weapon shafts to get the desired noise NOT the sharp edge of his mighty sword.....silly arse.....weakened every single spear in his front line AND blnted his own sword.....fool

otherwise.....just the best film

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Cavalry Charge ?

Waterloo, 1970 - Rod Steiger, Christopher Plummer, Orson Wells

THATS a cavalry charge

Who What Where
    Thanks
    Still, one of the best moments in the film is when he is shouting to his men and hitting the spears.

Loved the charge

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Originally posted by Skii
    Cavalry Charge ?

Waterloo, 1970 - Rod Steiger, Christopher Plummer, Orson Wells

THATS a cavalry charge
    I take it you're referring to the charge of the Heavy Brigade (including the Royal North British, aka The Scots Greys)?

"The noblest cavalry in Europe - and the worst led..."

Thanks
    Originally posted by nichomach
    I take it you're referring to the charge of the Heavy Brigade (including the Royal North British, aka The Scots Greys)?

"The noblest cavalry in Europe - and the worst led..."
    The very same - cinematic masterpiece

Thanks

Re: Now was THAT a Cavalry Charge, or WHAT?

Originally posted by Zak33

I apologise to Sair, who has a huge bruise on her leg from my (non passionate) squeeze of her leg in the back row of the cinema

I thought the entire film started out, feeling a bit "small"..as though it was short on budget....and for 15 minutes I felt as though I was in for a minor let-down

but then the sheer dimensions of the army's came to the fore and as the film grew in speed, my excitement grew and I have to say....

that is one of Cinemas FINEST MOMENTS....to see the wedge of cavalrymen cut a swathe through the orc's flanks was just superb....it was AMAZING in its size

And Eowyn gets my vote as Personality of the film....wothout her and Merry hidden in the Riders of Rohans ranks, the sheer terror would not have been portrayed correctly......she was brave and stoic and she was terrified.....

what a GREAT FILM

only point though......if anyone sees Theoben King, ask him to next time, run the FLAT of his sword along the spear mens weapon shafts to get the desired noise NOT the sharp edge of his mighty sword.....silly arse.....weakened every single spear in his front line AND blnted his own sword.....fool

One of the most jaw dropping sequences i have ever seen. The whole scale of it was amazing.
    Also liked the bit with the lord of the Nazgul

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    OMG yeah, I WANTED TO GO SMASH ORCS, I love it when speaches like that make my back tingle like that. It had me going so much more than aragorn's speach later on in the film....

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak33

what a GREAT FILM

best ? Nah. They cut out saruman, invented a dead army and created six endings.

the full version should clear up two of those 3 problems, also the corny womens lib comment by Eowyn was too cheesy.

That cavalry charge was probably the most breathtaking scene of the film, an inspiring scene, something not seen in todays society.

I prefer The Two Towers though overall, as I felt that film had a more professionally done battle sequence even if it went away from the actual book. The 3rds battle was too rushed to get to the final battle which didn't last long, then the ending was dragged out so everyone could cry.

Not me tho, didn't really make me feel for the characters, unlike films like Shawshank Redemption which simply fill me full of absolute and utter sadness yet happiness at the same time, truly magical films like those... this was not.

A good blockbuster to end a pretty decent series and put Jackson on the map.

only the finest beef
    Thanks
    I'm with Mutty on this one; definitely thought that second lord of the rings was better than the first and third.

Probably in the same way that Matrix II and III weren'tr as good as the first; it's easier to create the wow effect first time around.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    I'm with Mutty on this one; definitely thought that second lord of the rings was better than the first and third.

Probably in the same way that Matrix II and III weren'tr as good as the first; it's easier to create the wow effect first time around.
    though TTT was the 2nd installment and not the first personally its strange that TTT had a better battle, due to it being so small in the book. I think Christopher Lee added SO much depth and feel to the film in the 2nd it was untrue, the third was evidently chopped up badly and also rushed by the looks of it.

As for the Matrix, I thought the 3rd had an engrossing storyline and had potential to be truly a masterpiece of film making, but the overly long battle in Xion lost the feel of the story and was just CGI zone, even if it was impressive at the cinema. The first movie is still the best, but its like this with alot of films (even tho I prefer the sequels of quite a few)

e.g.

Alien series - Aliens (2) is my favourite
    Die Hard series - Die Hard: With A Vengeance is my fave
    Terminator series - Terminator 2 imo is an absolutely perfect film, without any boring moments and I feel its a different film to the equally superb first, being more action. Schwarzeneggers defining moment in history that one, whether you like him or not.
    Batman Series - Batman Returns for me, the gothic feel was immense and really captured the true Gotham City.

there are others, but I'll leave it there for now

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Well - i think that the films would have been more enjoyable had i not read the books. THe problem with reading the books first, apart from knowing the entire story line, is that you miss the bits they were forced to leave out due to time constraints, and you notice the bits they changed to make the film more "filmey" to satisfy the masses.

All in all - all three films were superb. Jackson did well, very well. No one ever attempted it before save a cheesy animated cartoon of the first book, it was a big risk, he pulled it off.

MuTTy_Hc - i agree with you about the endings, that annoyed me a bit, i kept thinking - aah now it ends, oh no a bit more, ah now it ends, oh no a bit more. Lol for about half an hour.

Regarding "They cut out saruman, invented a dead army" they had to cut out saruman coz they couldnt fit the scouring of the shire scenes in - thus saruman had no firther use in the film. What do you mean about inventing a dead army? THe army was real, in the books. It was kept reasonably accurate, tho in the book the dead could only be seen by elves, as opposed to being a swirling green luminous death fog, but its a film, invisible stuff dont work in films

Overall - 5 star for the whole trilogy.

Butuz

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Im with Butuz on the Dead Army.....it existed....and I thought was done finely for such a rock hard subject

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Private_mojo
    Still, one of the best moments in the film is when he is shouting to his men and hitting the spears.

Loved the charge
    The whole lot is just very very moving and when theoden gives the speech beofre the charge.. immense . Loved every minute. Saw this for a second time last night and it was even better than the first time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    <snip>
    No one ever attempted it before save a cheesy animated cartoon of the first book
    </snip>
    TBH the first film is amazingly similar to the animation in terms of shot's construct and what it included and left out, clearly they are based on the same book but in a lot of ways I prefer the cartoon's take on the whole thing, as ana animation it could more easily cope with the demands of the story without having to spend years and millions on CGI. Considering the animation was done in the early 80's iirc the video overlay for it's time for the black riders/orc's was cutting edge, it's probably the only way the story would have made it to screens with any integrity at the time it was made and certainly the last thing i'd call it is cheesy, most fans who saw this many years ago rate it quite highly.

Oddly enough they also did an animation of 'The Hobbit' something that i'd not rate as highly personally as it was more simplistic.

I'd be interested to see the EE editions of ROTK as being honest I felt somwhere along the line they'd done a Matrix 2 edit on it ... ie edited it from back to front spending time at the start on building slowly when in truth it may have been better spent on other parts of the film, the 'oh it's finished ... oh no it's not' thing got a bit annoying as ppl kept getting up and then having to sit down.

I also get the nagging feeling they'll do a trillogy box set with a load more stuff on in a cash in, I just hope they don't hold back on the EE knowing the interest ppl have in seeing the additional material that was filmed.

Thanks
    I think the speech before the cavalry charge was VERY similar to braveheart.

Thanks
    The cavalry charge was epic.
    What was going on with Legolas "snowboarding" down the Oliphaunts trunk
    I would have liked to have seen the face-off between Gandalf and the Nazgul king at the gate of Minis Tirith in the film and the scouring of the shire, instead of all the mushy crap at the end.
    All in though was a very good attempt at the book.

Thread Information