Thread: LCD VS Plasma - Can't Decide from Tv's

MurphmanL

LCD VS Plasma - Can't Decide from Tv's

Well, i think the time is right for me to upgrade my aging dell lcd tv to something more modern and give my eyes a break from following motion blur...
    I currently have an LCD tv with 16ms response, and while some people will swear blind this is fine, I find that for playing intensive 360 games, my eyes are strained, especially on test drive unlimited, to keep up with the trails that sometimes follows motion.

So to eliminate the problem I have come up with two tv's I am pretty much set on getting.
    I am determined not to purchase a tv from an online retailer due to the sheer complexity of the item.

Anyway, so I will be collecting from my local Comet and I am stuck between this Philips LCD TV:
    http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p...rue&sku=394165

And this Samsung Plasma Display http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p....do?sku=383732

I have read 2 positive reviews on the samsung, that in most cases it handles motion well and gives good picture quality. However over on AVforums i read of streaking lines, and problems affecting a pool of users, and knowing my luck i'll be the next one off the diving board and into the pool!

I cannot for the life of me despite intensive googling find anything on the philips, so I have managed to track down a thread on AVforums and based upon people's feedbacks managed to retrieve some opinions, but nothing definitive.
    It seems to tick some good boxes, especially the 5ms response quoted, 1080p signal acceptance and downscale, pixel plus hd, higher panel resolution than the sammy,and an array of connectivity.

But, I am clueless, one philips lcd i remember got a rather decidedly average review...
    But, coming from a Dell LCD (however well these stand in the market today) perhaps i wouldn't even be able to distinguish between a poor modern day lcd standard and decent standard, i just don't know!
    The thread on the philips tv can be found here on av forums : http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...=1#post5139813

As well as various scattered threads of mixed bag / good opinions on the samsung plasma.
    Some advice / opinions would definately be appreciated!
    Part of me is tempted to take my 360 down and see if they will allow me to hook it to the tv's to give it a try, since the demo feed running does not do any of the sets justice.
    Please do not suggest other makes / models. I am set upon these tv's.

Registered+
    Thanks
    what do you want to connect upto it?

and do you have a seperate audio system?

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    i got one of the new samsungs, and i think its great compared too the current plasma offerings, even ones hitting that price bracket.

problem is you need to tweak the colours a bit, they have a habbit of having them rather saturated by default!
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

MurphmanL
    Well i ended up with the philips, partially because the comet crew were saying how many returns they had have with the samsung plasma in particular, having a mind of its own switching aspect ratios, and recent batches having issues with colour banding and such.

The philips did appear even on the grainy aerial feed to have a more detailed picture anyway, but only time will tell. Haven't set it up yet but will take some snaps once I do for the hexus cinema setup thread.

Registered+
    Thanks
    i have also heard the new samsung plasmas are pretty good (for the money) and that was from my local retailer (who would make more money selling me a panny/pioneer).

Thread Information