Thread: Radeon 6950, Samsung TV 5.1 problem

Registered+
    Thanks

Radeon 6950, Samsung TV 5.1 problem

Hey guys I need your expertise with something please. I have a Samsung tv with all of my devices (Tivo, PS3 and PC) plugged into it via hdmi. The tv is then in turn connected to a Samsung 5.1 home cinema system (one hdmi port shared for dvd out and the audio back in from the tv. and one optical audio in).

Until I got my GPU the volume was through intel display audio. This was only reported as 2.1 sound because of the EDID of the tv. I was gonna try mess about changing the inf file of the tv in the registry to match the inf of the home cinema. I can't though because every time i put my home cinema to hmdi audio it reverts back to optical audio when i exit the menu. This meant I couldn't get the EDID of the home cinema. I do get round this by using the optical audio out on my tv to connect to the optical input on the home cinema.

I knew that my Radeon 6950 would use the Realtek audio anyway so I didn't pursue the above. The realtek audio does not let me force 5.1. In fact the only option anywhere is 2.1. I can understand this as my tv only has 2 speakers and the manual says it only accepts stereo as an input. However in media player classic or when using my PS3 I can force 5.1 through it and it works no problem. I know if I can make the Realtek let me choose 5.1 then I could have it available in games.

Does anyone know how I can trick the Realtek audio or the radeon sound drivers?

I don't want to use an optical audio switch because my girlfriend will moan and I don't want to buy an expensive 5.1 receiver with several hdmi inputs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Re: Radeon 6950, Samsung TV 5.1 problem

Not the same as you but I have a 6950 connected to my amp via hdmi and have had no end of difficulties with the sound.

I can't hear sound less less the tv is turned on

My setup is like this:

6950 hdmi - amp

and dvi on 6950 - monitor

amp - tv and speakers

As I said unless my tv is on the computer channel the hdmi sound won't work at all.

So now I am stuck to using optical which isn't ideal.

So not the same as yours but shows that these cards are terrible as part of a home cinema. . . .
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thread Information