Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost in translation

Thanks

Lost in translation

...has to be the biggest pile of tosh I have had the misfortune to sit through in a very long time.

Utter utter tosh.

Awful

God even remembering it hurts.

1/10 (and the 1 is generous)

Thanks
    • Trash Man's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LE Z77
      • CPU:
      • i5 2550k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB 1600 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Crucial SSD 1 x 1TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1.5GB 580 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet 680W E9
      • Case:
      • CM 830 Stacker
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 x 2
      • Internet:
      • 20mb IDNet ADSL
    Have to agree with you m8. I do like Bill Murry and that was the only reason I watch the film, but it is just dire. Can't belive they tried to sell it as a comedy when it came out :/

Living and dying laughing and crying
    Once you have seen it you will never be the same
    Life in the fast lane is just how it seems
    Hard and it is heavy dirty and mean

Thanks
    Could have swarn I saw this pretty high up on imdb yesterday (comedy section that is).

Just looked and indeed I did (8.1/10) on imdb.

Thanks
    <Andrew sticks neck out>
    I Kinda have to diasgree...

Sure it's not a great film, and if you watch it with a few beers and ur mates then you'll be bored to tears but it IS a good film.

If you're in a mellow / introspective mood, say rainy saturday afternoon, mild hangover, trying to burn as few calories as possible before another evening out, then it's enjoyable. Better in the cinema probably as then you get more involved and don't get distracted. It's a bit like "The straight story", the pace is leisurely, and the messages aren't painted in large letters on your eyeballs, you have to think a bit. Possibly its strongest point is that it makes you think about similar points within your own life if you empathise with who and what you're seeing on screen...

...Ummm, but I'll shut up now before I invite too much abuse
    They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them.

Thanks
    • Trash Man's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LE Z77
      • CPU:
      • i5 2550k
      • Memory:
      • 8GB 1600 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Crucial SSD 1 x 1TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1.5GB 580 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet 680W E9
      • Case:
      • CM 830 Stacker
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 x 2
      • Internet:
      • 20mb IDNet ADSL
    Quote Originally Posted by stytagm
    <Andrew sticks neck out>
    I Kinda have to diasgree...

Sure it's not a great film, and if you watch it with a few beers and ur mates then you'll be bored to tears but it IS a good film.

If you're in a mellow / introspective mood, say rainy saturday afternoon, mild hangover, trying to burn as few calories as possible before another evening out, then it's enjoyable. Better in the cinema probably as then you get more involved and don't get distracted. It's a bit like "The straight story", the pace is leisurely, and the messages aren't painted in large letters on your eyeballs, you have to think a bit. Possibly its strongest point is that it makes you think about similar points within your own life if you empathise with who and what you're seeing on screen...

...Ummm, but I'll shut up now before I invite too much abuse
    Maybe so, but it ain't a comedy by a long shot.

Living and dying laughing and crying
    Once you have seen it you will never be the same
    Life in the fast lane is just how it seems
    Hard and it is heavy dirty and mean

Thanks
    Fair points above, perhaps i'm too much of a fan of the traditional 'movie' but I just felt like I sat through 2 hours of people wandering around a hotel and occasionally meeting up for a chat.

I just didn't get it I suppose, I spent my childhood belly-laughing at Bill Murray in films like Ghostbusters, Stripes, Groundhog Day and Caddyshack, and there were moments when he made me smile in the film, like the height problem in the shower, the japanese director, the prostitute telling him to 'lip' her stockings, amusing, but not hugely funny.

So there we have it - 2 bored married people meet up in a quiet hotel and nearly have an affair amidst the mad mad japanese metropolis - the end.

And The Phantom Menace got slated for not having a plot

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trash Man
    Maybe so, but it ain't a comedy by a long shot.
    True, I didn't know they were punting it as a comedy, I suppose it's a drama or something. Really it's a sprt of fellgood(ish) movie, and the nearest it gets to comedy is a few bits of sarchastic moaning by Bill Murray.

I blame the corporates for needed to categorise everything as being 'just like the last thing we made money from'
    They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them.

Thanks
    Well, if a film makes a point of being about life's trivial details then the plot can be secondary. Richard Linklater is something of a master at this; see Dazed and Confused for example. Plot is: last day of school, kids go out, get drunk and high, chat, snog, fight, go home- and yet it's still a great film.

I personally don't think Lost In Translation is as brilliant as everyone makes out, but I'd still rate it at least a 7/10. Admittedly, part of my enjoyment comes from actually having been to Tokyo and recognising some of the situations/locations.

Rich :¬)

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom
    Sorry, have to say I really enjoyed this film...it's poignant, intelligent, surreal, complex, heart-renching, and spoke me to me on several levels about uncertainty and how it feels to be lacking in direction and lost on so many levels...

The cinematography was wonderful, the way the viewer was exposed to Tokyo was enthralling, and the acting was just perfect. Murray was superb, and blew me away with how perfectly he portrayed his character.

I agree it's more of a drama than a comedy, but there are quite a few funny bits...maybe it's a persons own life experiences which draw them to this film. It certainly knows how to use silence, rather than trying to fill every second with orchestrated pap as so many other films do these days...

Really wonderful film...as Stytagm said, it's not one for having some mates round and cracking a case of beer. But if you occasionally like your films more 'Dead Poets Society' than 'Dead Man's Curve', then perhaps this one is for you.
    sig removed by Zak33

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Quote Originally Posted by ibm
    Sorry, have to say I really enjoyed this film...it's poignant, intelligent, surreal, complex, heart-renching, and spoke me to me on several levels about uncertainty and how it feels to be lacking in direction and lost on so many levels...

The cinematography was wonderful, the way the viewer was exposed to Tokyo was enthralling, and the acting was just perfect. Murray was superb, and blew me away with how perfectly he portrayed his character.

I agree it's more of a drama than a comedy, but there are quite a few funny bits...maybe it's a persons own life experiences which draw them to this film. It certainly knows how to use silence, rather than trying to fill every second with orchestrated pap as so many other films do these days...

Really wonderful film...as Stytagm said, it's not one for having some mates round and cracking a case of beer. But if you occasionally like your films more 'Dead Poets Society' than 'Dead Man's Curve', then perhaps this one is for you.

I agree. I loved this film. No its not a comedy and it was wrong to push it as one but i really enjoyed this movie nonetheless.

I saw it at the cinema and a mate who saw it with me really hated it. Marmite film then, but i will get the dvd when it gets cheap

Thanks
    I was struggling to remember why I liked this film so much, then ibm went and said it!

The scenes involving culture-clash are humorous and I still smile when I remember the whisky commercial... "With INTENSITY!"

listen to escape fails :) luap.h's Avatar
    Thanks
    I thought I'd lower the tone down to my level and say the most enjoyable moment of the flim for me was the opening shots - it's just a beautiful sight

but seriously, I watched a few days ago, remembering how I'd really wanted to see it in the cinema. Strange how they did portray it as comedy, when it was only mildy amusing. It was disappointing, as it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, but it is a film I'm not going to forget, with or without the butt shot - having just split up with my g/f after 6 years for us not being honest with each other (in a nutshell) it kinda drives the point home about needing to talk to people, and not bottling it up, like so many of us do.

Thanks
    Lol luap.h i have to agree the opening scenes were very nice to watch , but i really didnt enjoy the film, seemed to me that nothing much was happening and i got bored. It was definatly not a comedy and not really the type of film i really enjoy.

Thanks
    • Gunbuster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus AX370 Gaming K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700x + Scythe Kotetsu MK I
      • Memory:
      • 32GB: 4x 8GB HyperX Fury 2400mhz CL15 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 2x Sandisk Ultra II 960GB, 1x Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming GTX970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750w
      • Case:
      • Cougar Panzer S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM IPS-2701WPH 27" 1440p IPS Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Aquiss Fibre
    I thought it was fairly good 7.5/10 I never expected it to be a comedy as I've never seen any promo for it. Its really annoying when marketeers try to sell something into the wrong category becuase it didn't fit neatly into anything else. This happened with Solaris, ok not everybodies' favourite film, but I'm sure it would have been better recieved if they hadn't tried to sell it as an Alien/Event Horizon style horror film.

Thanks
    I'm with skii, i kept watching this film thinking "somethings gonna happen soon, it has to". After 2 hours it ended, making me want to call up the director and talk to him about absoulty nothing so that i've wasted 2 hours of his life as well.

Ben

IRN-BRU(tm)
    Thanks
    i really enjoyed it - the grungy sound track was great, and to the guy who said they had an affair, they didnt. They sort of just enjoyed each others company in a strange country (unless i missed something while dozing), this film is best watched in the cinema while you are ina sleepy kind of mood, and probably on your own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information