Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boosting My Vinyl Collection....

Thanks

Question Boosting My Vinyl Collection....

Hello all,

I'm a bit of a budding DJ and I've started to play out my sets in parties etc and I want some more vinyl to spread across a wider range of genres.

At the moment I have a nice RnB set, with a bit of hip hop in their thrown in towards the end, this kind of builds up nicely... theirs approx 40-50 records in the set and now I want to expand to suit more peoples needs.

I did a gig at a party on Bank Holiday Monday along with a mate, as a favour for another friend. My mate started off first with a bit of RnB and Hip hop, in no particular order, for about 2hours, then I did a 2hour stint.

My mate has a few RnB tracks (similar to me), and then he started going onto hip hop. By the time I started off, people were getting up and dancing for a bit as they had more alcohol etc... After I finished, my mate came back on and started doing some dancehall and garage... the crowd started getting up and dancing.

I figured I need some of this music, as I do quite like it, and it would come in handy to get the crowd dancing if I was on my own.

Now heres where you lot come in, I need some artists and or track names of the following genres;

- Dance, be it old school like N-Trance etc... or some new stuff...
    - Dancehall, be it Elephant Man or Beenie Man... what gets you jiving?
    - Garage, what artists have you got for me here? Wideboys?

If you yourself are getting rid of any vinyl get in touch... click my sig to email me... otherwise state some artists and I'll go hunting the high street with a bit long list!! (Online is too expensive with delivery on top - except eBay).

Many thanks for your help and if you read that ridiculously long post, you deserve a medal.

Nick

Thanks
    I dont buy vinyl myself but plenty of people on another forum I visit do. You've already mentioned Ebay but do you go to second hand shops like oxfam and the like?

What equipment do ya have? Im tempted to get into this mixing lark and have almost bought an mp3 DJ console, almost

Thanks
    Hi Raz316...

I havent been into Oxfam or similar for records, nor have I been to 2nd hand record fairs. Something to look out for I'm sure.

I have a pair of NuMark TT200 turntables with a NuMark DM1002Mk2 mixer. Does the job perfectly. I'm buying some Shure M4-47 carts in the next week or so as one of my needles went during the gig!

Thanks
    Nice, I was recommended them, but i thought against it not actually having any vinyl

so when the needles go what do you do? quickly skip to the other deck and replace it? Does it make a load of horrid noise when it goes? I really am clueless

Thanks
    Pop into our local independent record shop and ask the people who work there. I can bet you they can pick you out a nice stack of records pretty quickly.

independents have the best staff and 90% of the time they know almost everything they have in stock aswell!

Thanks
    dance is a pretty big genre to cover, try breaking it down to house, garage, breaks, dnb and alike.
    your best bet is to checkout dj forums and see what tracks are happening, download the mp3 to make sure its what you are after then buy the vinyl. ebay is a good source but the condition of some records is crap, i was sent one in a bubble wrap sleeve! there are plenty of online record stores and if you check around your area you should be able to find some record exchanges and alike.

artists i like to get people dancing are krafty kuts and plump djs, even old school tracks from the prodigy, chrystal emthod, propellorheads, chemical brothers. you really need to do some research into what you like, and djing is about putting songs together that fit, i find experimenting with mp3s works best, then drop the needle.

herbalist
    Thanks
    http://www.htfr.com/ have a load of vinyl mate. order a catalogue, its great.

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

Thanks
    http://www.chemical-records.co.uk/
    http://www.htfr.com/
    http://www.germantrance.com/
    http://www.juno.co.uk/
    http://www.replayrecords.com/
    http://www.gemm.com/

And to find those tracks that you want:

http://www.di.fm/

I DJ trance (also just starting out) and i only have 40 records but i order 1 a week, should get a job soon and get a few more. Theres also DJforum.com, but most of the members are up themselves so i dont go there anymore (you also have to have 1210's to fit in, otherwise you're a noob)

Ben

Edit: gemm.com and ebay are my places of choice. Gemm looks a bit complicated at times, but it really pays off cause someone somewhere in the world (usually in the Uk though) will be selling the record you want.
    Last edited by silent ben; 02-09-2004 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanks all for the help, I now have a massive Favourites list to go through. I've heard of the DJForums.com, it's American based, and I have to agree, you need 1210s and listen to what they are into to get any kind of feedback!

PrivatePyle - Just searched for mikeythepikey on eBay, he/she has a +3 rating... but nothing for sale...

http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....ort=3&since=-1

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    http://www.htfr.com/ have a load of vinyl mate. order a catalogue, its great.
    Dont ever buy from these people. They're ripoff merchants and have been swindling the public by making their own unauthorised pressings of more rare /in demand records.

Another source for 2ndhand vinyl is www.djneeds.com

And www.discogs.com has a comprehensive database of vinyl releases where users can state which releases they own and users can request their wants accordingly to release.

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    Oh yeah, bargain buckets are your best friends - you can spend hours and hours in these places and even if you just find one track (this is where I find most of the rarer stuff) it's all worth it.

Im also selling a large portion of my record collection, but screw typing it all out I only do request/wanted lists so if u get a wants list, then let me know

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD303
    Oh yeah, bargain buckets are your best friends - you can spend hours and hours in these places and even if you just find one track (this is where I find most of the rarer stuff) it's all worth it.

Im also selling a large portion of my record collection, but screw typing it all out I only do request/wanted lists so if u get a wants list, then let me know
    Thanks for the tips.

Have you got any hip hop / rnb ? Dancehall ?? Garage?

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    Only got hip hop stuff out of those - and I'd be keeping them.

Most stuff Im selling is 4x4 . . .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ACiD303
    Only got hip hop stuff out of those - and I'd be keeping them.

Most stuff Im selling is 4x4 . . .
    If you dont mind (I know I'm asking a lot), but out of the 4x4 u are selling would you be able to hit me with a few artists? I have a mate who is into his 4x4 stuff, and I could pass the info on to him.

Panzer Division Marduk PanzerKnight's Avatar
    Thanks
    i see you dont live to far from birmingham, go take a visit to Hard To Find Records over there.

They have a webiste to, just google it.

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    If you dont mind (I know I'm asking a lot), but out of the 4x4 u are selling would you be able to hit me with a few artists? I have a mate who is into his 4x4 stuff, and I could pass the info on to him.
    Not really - not out of laziness, but I hardly have alot of any given artists, and or label. . . if you give me an example of sound you're looking for that would make it a lot easier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information