Thread: 4690k vs Ivy Bridge-E for SLI/Xfire

Registered+
    Thanks

4690k vs Ivy Bridge-E for SLI/Xfire

Hi,

I'm currently designing a new system that I plan on eventually upgrading to a 4K system when it becomes a little more viable. I've been looking online for benchmarks that specifically test multi-GPU gaming performance across Haswell and Ivy Bridge-E and I have to say that I've not found any answers that I'm happy with. If I could post links I would link to the AnandTech review of the 4960x which shows that with 2 GTX Titans, There is no real difference between Haswell and Ivy Bridge-E at 1080p/Ultra, but, like a bad movie, it leaves me with too many unanswered questions. What about at 4K? What about 3+ GPUs? What about when games get more CPU intensive in the future? Can somebody with a better informed opinion shed some light on this?

Liam

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

Re: 4690k vs Ivy Bridge-E for SLI/Xfire

The trend in the software market is slowly going away from CPU dependence (DX 12 or Mantle).

The little overclocking edge that a IB-E would grand would negate the architectural benefit of Haswell.

Also with the new instruction error found in the Haswell CPU (TSX) I would just go for IB-E anyway.

To be sure,get a cracking cooling and motherboard so you can squeeze the max out of it and be happy for the next few years (2-5 years with a bit if luck).

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Re: 4690k vs Ivy Bridge-E for SLI/Xfire

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Dud View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently designing a new system that I plan on eventually upgrading to a 4K system when it becomes a little more viable. I've been looking online for benchmarks that specifically test multi-GPU gaming performance across Haswell and Ivy Bridge-E and I have to say that I've not found any answers that I'm happy with. If I could post links I would link to the AnandTech review of the 4960x which shows that with 2 GTX Titans, There is no real difference between Haswell and Ivy Bridge-E at 1080p/Ultra, but, like a bad movie, it leaves me with too many unanswered questions. What about at 4K? What about 3+ GPUs? What about when games get more CPU intensive in the future? Can somebody with a better informed opinion shed some light on this?

Liam
    The main advantage Haswell-E would have for Crossfire or SLI is that it will have 40 lanes of PCI 3 available, allowing for 2 or 3 GPU setups at full bandwidth. To get a similar bandwidth on socket 1150 Haswell with Z97 chipset, you'll need a motherboard with PLX PEX8747 bridge chip, which increases power use, heat, & adds a bit of latency. In all honesty though, the performance difference between the two systems is probably negligible, & Z97 is definitely more cost-effective.

Thread Information