Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 4790K overheating with NH L12

Thanks

Re: 4790K overheating with NH L12

That sounds pretty poor - which is why it would be best to know in advance what sort of testing they would perform, and have an RMA issued *based on* the problem you're having. Like I say, posting in their sub-forum might be worthwhile.

I don't suppose, like the guy from the other forum, you're still within the cancellation window? In which case you could return it either way.

Another option would be Intel's own support if you have no luck with Scan, and I certainly wouldn't risk getting fleeced for £36 if they can't agree on the testing terms - that's just plain preposterous.

Thanks

1st i tried the BOX fan.
    the box fan was 40c on idle _ and 100c when converting MKV to AVI (110c in seconds)
    i removed the box fan and installed it again and test.-> i did that three times.
    on all three times i got 100-110C from the BOX fan!

when i installed the Noctua NH-C12P SE14 i got this:
    on idle 33C
    on LOAD (prime95 and some conversation works) 71c MAX!

my conclusion is this:
    you need to use a good custom fan!
    the idle fan would be somthing that came to the market when ivy-B was released (or atleast Sandy-B)

some technicians in a few computer shops i know told me "NO WAY! _ the BOX Cooler should be anough"
    Today i TELL them: "WRONG"! Its not enough!

thread opener:
    you and me are not the only ones who got it,
    iv seen at least 10 threads with same temps.

cheers

Registered+
    Thanks

Unfortunately I am five weeks into ownership due to intervening builds for family and also problems with the motherboard. SCAN were very cooperative about these as I was covered by SCANsure, so I am sure their procedures and charges reflect the material reality of their costs. Its just a consideration for me to make sure I have got my ducks in a row.

I started a question at the Intel forums, to ask if I can go through Intel, but so far noone has answered.

I have asked about testing in SCAN chat and they were open about it saying they used Intel stock HS/F and recommended AIDA64, so the other guy's story doesn't quite match my experience. I performed these tests myself and sent them a .png and they authorised an RMA and I am crossing my fingers that it will work out OK. I am not overly concerned about the money angle really. I just dont want to waste their time or mine with stuff I could fix with a google.

Thanks

Just bear in mind that AVX code will cause higher considerably temperatures on Haswell than non-AVX code; apparently AIDA64 does contain AVX code but only in certain benchmarks. Hence what I said about ensuring their tests match the ones causing issues on your system.

Fair enough if they've authorised the RMA based on that - I see no way it could pass on a stock cooler if it's failed consistently on a far more capable one.

I mean it's good that you've gone through the process of eliminating other issues before RMAing - I can see why erroneous returns could be an issue for companies, especially smaller ones. But even based on that quoted email, assuming genuine, that's poor considering the CPU is reaching throttling temperature with a cooler significantly better than the stock one which is supposed to be sufficient for stock clocks.

I didn't see the post-edit bit added to your last post until now, but in reply: I don't think 4-5C ambient difference should matter all that much - case choice or having a GPU exhausting air below the CPU cooler could make far more difference than that, for example.

My point, based on the bit-tech thread, is that accepting an RMA based on thermal issues, then refusing it and profiting from it despite confirming it, is simply unacceptable. I refuse to accept that collection/delivery added to their contract, and a few minutes to test, comes even remotely close to the price they charged. If they knew they wouldn't replace the CPU based on thermal issues, why did they accept the RMA?

I'd just make sure you're very clear about why you're requesting the RMA, and keep logs of your communication to back you up. If you're vague and say something like 'the CPU is overheating', they might test for thermal-tripping, and pass it when that doesn't happen, for instance.

I wish you luck anyway, and hopefully the BT thread is just an outlying bad experience.
    Last edited by watercooled; 07-08-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hi Sylvester,

I am going to be putting an RMA through to Scan for exactly the same issue, I have checked your Intel thread my my batch number is virtually identical to yours (L418C380), I have only been able to check the cpu with the stock cooler as I'm waiting for the NZXT x61's to hit the UK. I am experiencing similar temps/symptoms to you with the stock cooler which IMO are far higher than they should be even for stock cooling as the processor should be able to operate fully at stock settings. however with AS5 TIM I am getting idle temps of ~41deg, 20/30% load of 70deg and after about 15 seconds of intel burn test my cpu its hit 100deg and crashed. Thankfully I got Scan CS over live chat prior and run through the issues I have had and the actual intel burnt test run.

Please keep this thread active, If I get anything myself that could be reinvent ill post it here myself.

Registered+
    Thanks

Update to this thread. Scan have tested my CPU and the motherboard together and found an apparent overheating fault when they are paired resulting in throttling. They have also tested an I7 4770K with the same motherboard and it also appears to overheat, suggesting a motherboard issue. The test used was AIDA64 standard settings, see intel thread for more details.

The motherboard has the latest F4 bios which through a strange quirk of fate was installed by Gigabyte themselves (I previously sent it off to them for testing for different reasons). I have every confidence in their support. New tech often has teething troubles. So I will stick with this mobo model until we get it working right.

Currently I dont know the nature of the fault, if it is real overheating or a monitoring error, or if it is specific to the individual mobo or a generic fault. Will update when I know more.

Product description GByte Z97MX-Gaming 5 MoBo
    Fault found Yes
    Scan diagnosis overheating CPUs. i7-4790k and i7-4770 both throttle under AIDA stab test
    Last edited by Sylvester; 20-08-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks

Interesting! Glad to hear Scan's support was good too.

I wonder if it's supplying more voltage that requested then? Or maybe it has something to do with 'MultiCore Enhancement'?

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro Ultimate
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

Is there much in the way of known mobo/cpu combination issues such as this?

It would be interesting to have a look at the boards used by all those experiencing 4790K overheating to see if there are any correlations.

Registered+
    Thanks

The board I am having these issues with is the Asus Maximus Hero VII. Even after updated to the latest 1104 Bios. My Processor and hopefully Motherboard should be off to scan by the end of the week, unfortunately the RMA number as it stands only contains the CPU.

Registered+
    Thanks

SCAN are replacing my motherboard. Since they found a fault they are providing all carriage and even agreed to update the replacement mobo's BIOS and backup BIOS to latest so it is as up to date as the faulty one, for which I am grateful. You can't say fairer than that, I know I sound like an advert but full marks for service.

Still no info on the fault but will post it as soon as I have it. I just hope it isnt caused by updating the backup BIOS to F4, as that could be Groundhog Day all over again! Unlikely I know but this has been a nightmare "anything which can go wrong" type build already so I am half expecting it. Though SCAN and their insurance service Scansure have definitely had my back throughout so I guess we will work it out if it is that.

... I am not normally superstitious but I have to wonder if it was wise to name a CPU ... "Devil's Canyon"? dun dun duuh (will surely be remembered as the build from hell!)

Thanks

No, not an advert, but it's good to hear you had a good experience. After all, people often only bother to say something if something bad happens, which of course skews things.

If you search for a company + bad experience, you're pretty much guaranteed to find examples for any company.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvester View Post
    (will surely be remembered as the build from hell!)
    I think we've all had one of them at some point.

Edit: Oops, that was supposed to be an edit, not a new post.

Registered+
    Thanks

... I am not normally superstitious but I have to wonder if it was wise to name a CPU ... "Devil's Canyon"? dun dun duuh (will surely be remembered as the build from hell!)
    Good to here your not having any issues with scan as I've got scansure myself as well. Also this is turning into a build from hell myself. Ill see how my experience with there rma is and post up with my experiences, but judging by your post it should be all good.

Registered+
    Thanks

Redroth, did they agree to check your mobo?

Registered+
    Thanks

i would rma it

Registered+
    Thanks

Redroth, did they agree to check your mobo?

Both My 4970k and My Asus Max. Hero Vii MB are on there way to Scan as we speak.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information