• RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro Ultimate
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

i7 4790K Overheating Issues

There have been a number of threads here and elsewhere regarding overheating issues with the i7 4790K, which seem to identify dodgy CPUs as the main cause. If these have been RMA-ed is there any published information from the various retailers (Scan, Overclockers, Ebuyer etc) or Intel itself that would help identify whether this was a batch problem or a wider chip manufacturing or design problem?

The threads have also often discussed cooling with an apparent consensus that the stock cooler is not up to the job of cooling the chip in stock mode. If this is the case has anyone used consumer rights as, basically, if something you buy is not fit for purpose you have a legal right to return in within a reasonable period for repair, replacement or refund?

If Intel was selling a known insufficient stock cooler as standard to cool the 4790K, that would simply be illegal under consumer legislation.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: i7 4790K Overheating Issues

I had a 4790K which was basically a dud chip from the word go, idling was fine, any sort of load would send it up to >90c immediately resulting in thermal shutdowns on many occasions.

RMA'd back to OCUK and a new one was sent through, they found it faulty but no explanation as to what was wrong with it, I've still got the brand new replacement chip sat on a shelf and I really should get around to testing it just in case it also has a similar fault.

I can't comment on the Intel coolers because I only tend to buy OEM chips without coolers, mainly use water cooling.

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

Yes, I have read the thread about your overheating problems. It would certainly be interesting to see if your new chip is okay.

I also wonder if it would be useful to have a thread where individuals could note the batch details of their dud chips so any pattern could be picked out.

Similarly, it could be that the retailers, such as Scan, have experienced cooling issues when testing the systems they build for sale.

Registered+
    Thanks

Just to clarify, the failed 4790K I had was from Malaysia batch B533.
    Last edited by Slingfox; 10-09-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks

There seem to be a fair few threads around about this, it would seem to be a stock cooler issue but to play devils advocate - shouldn't people be using an after market cooler if you're getting the K edition with the general idea being you're going to OC it? Still would see if the stock coolers a dud though, didn't look like it was up to much.

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBC View Post
    There seem to be a fair few threads around about this, it would seem to be a stock cooler issue but to play devils advocate - shouldn't people be using an after market cooler if you're getting the K edition with the general idea being you're going to OC it? Still would see if the stock coolers a dud though, didn't look like it was up to much.
    That would support the position that Intel is breaking basic consumer law in selling a stock cooler that's simply not up to the advertised job of the processor.

Thread Information