Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Upgrade CPU Now or Wait A Little Longer?

  1. #1
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post

    Upgrade CPU Now or Wait A Little Longer?

    I've got the upgrade itch but struggling to decide if I should upgrade now or wait. Currently running i5-3570k but was looking to go to the latest gen10 but gen11 is due soon and gen12 in about another 6 months. I don't really want to go AMD.

    I was thinking of going z390+9700 or Z490+10600k. I'm no longer convinced about getting upgrade ready with motherboards.

    Any thoughts on buy now or wait ba little longer.

  2. #2
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,806
    Thanks
    3,834
    Thanked
    5,114 times in 3,946 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Upgrade CPU Now or Wait A Little Longer?

    Well you can a Core i5 10600K for £185 from Ebuyer now. One of these motherboards should be fine:
    https://www.ebuyer.com/974329-msi-z4...ard-z490-a-pro
    https://www.ebuyer.com/974326-msi-mp...90-gaming-plus

    If you can wait Rocketlake should not only have better performance,but also PCI-E 4.0,but as with anything the issue is you cannot guarantee availability will be fine at launch.

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post

    Re: Upgrade CPU Now or Wait A Little Longer?

    I thought the 10600 was more than that right now? Do you have a link to it?

  4. #4
    Moosing about! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    31,806
    Thanks
    3,834
    Thanked
    5,114 times in 3,946 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: Upgrade CPU Now or Wait A Little Longer?

    Quote Originally Posted by trevcjohnson View Post
    I thought the 10600 was more than that right now? Do you have a link to it?
    Just checked - the price has gone back up to £220 on Ebuyer. It was the Core i5 10600KF. It was £185 yesterday!

    The Core i5 10600K is £214 on Ebuyer currently.

  5. Received thanks from:

    trevcjohnson (01-02-2021)

  6. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    30
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    5 times in 4 posts

    Re: Upgrade CPU Now or Wait A Little Longer?

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0883MCYX4/

    £205 on Amazon, says that it'll arrives before Valentine's day, if that's your thing.

    Alternatively:
    https://www.centralcomputers.co.uk/p...Pack-Cache-Ghz

    £188.35 with 13 showing in stock, however the way their trustpilot reviews have been, I would call them to confirm stock before ordering.

  7. Received thanks from:

    trevcjohnson (01-02-2021)

  8. #6
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post

    Re: Upgrade CPU Now or Wait A Little Longer?

    Thanks, anyone would think it was a simple decision but it's proving tough to decide, maybe I'll wait a tiny bit longer and see if prices drop a little as the next processors come available. Maybe If I could actually get a decent graphics card upgrade it would spur me on but I'm currently stuck with a GTX960.

  9. #7
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    • hammy434's system
      • Motherboard:
      • whatever motherboard acer aspire m3970 has...
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB 667MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD/PowerColor Radeon HD 6850
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX 550W
      • Case:
      • whatever you call the acer aspire m3970 case...
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer S191hqlfb (yeah i know really catchy name there...)......
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity. Wired i get 32 down 5.5 up wireless 15 - 20 down 5.5 up

    Re: Upgrade CPU Now or Wait A Little Longer?

    i5 10600K is a good Intel option. If you wait for 11th gen you'll get PCI Express 4.0 and better gaming performance. But Tiger Lake is apparently just around the corner so it's a bit awkward.

    If you're willing to consider AMD the 5600x is a great CPU, that's what I went for (was on an i7 4770K previously).

  10. #8
    Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Darkest Northamptonshire
    Posts
    2,015
    Thanks
    184
    Thanked
    1,086 times in 410 posts
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

    Re: Upgrade CPU Now or Wait A Little Longer?

    What do you use it for? It's a funny time for CPUs as on the intel side the next set will add pcie 4.0 and the ones after that will shift to DDR5 (as will AMD,) so a socket change is on the cards for both.

    If its mostly gaming I'd be tempted to upgrade your GPU (appreciate that's easier said than done currently,) and either hold on to your CPU or find a second hand i7 compatible with your board to tide you over for a while.

  11. #9
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post

    Re: Upgrade CPU Now or Wait A Little Longer?

    I tend to use it for general use, occasional video render but not a huge amount. Also gaming, I would like to buy a new GPU but as you know buying anything seems almost impossible and I'm not going to get into paying over the odds for GPUs by resellers.

  12. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post

    Re: Upgrade CPU Now or Wait A Little Longer?

    Well after wanting Intel I ended up pulling the trigger on a complete 2nd hand system which came up

    AMD Ryzen 3700x
    Corsair iCUE RGB twin fan Liquid CPU Cooler
    MSI B450 Tomahawk Max MB
    16GB RGB Corsair memory
    500GB Samsung 970 EVO SSD M.2
    240GB Kingston A400 SSD
    2TB Seagate Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 HDD
    Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
    Corsair RM850 PSU
    Cougar Gaming Case
    Windows 10 Pro

    £1000 all in, ok it's not brand new but given I couldn't find a GPU anywhere this seemed ok to me.
    Last edited by trevcjohnson; 04-02-2021 at 08:16 PM.

  13. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    13
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Upgrade CPU Now or Wait A Little Longer?

    I went for a Z490/i5-10400F combo this year, only because the Z490 was on offer around black friday. Works for me as a gaming only machine.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •