Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Asus Swift ROG PG278Q

Thanks

Re: Asus Swift ROG PG278Q monitor available for Pre-order on Scan

We're going to fall out if you keep tempting me like that.

How does this do? http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

That's always been the killer for me on TN.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    We're going to fall out if you keep tempting me like that.
    It's a huge waste of money. Better?

muahahahaaa

I will try this when I get a chance - might be the weekend though as i'm out and about a lot this week (and I need darkness to do it apparently).
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Registered+
    Thanks

the bezel on this is so awesome would look epic with three of them on a triple monitor stand

Thanks
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

I heard good things about it too (some people comparing the G-Sync to SSD vs HDD, you notice one you go back to the old).

But hell, my missus would castrate me if she would find out that I planning to buy something like this.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

@dangel: does the Swift monitor support 3dVision?

I will be getting some access to a 3d Vision kit (first gen) plus a compatible monitor very soon, so I would be interested in trying these out with some time playing BF4, Elite: Dangerous and some other titles too, if I like it that might be putting the Swift monitor back on the horizon for me.

Also, how to 1080 videos look in full screen? Are you getting any issues with scaling for instance?

Thanks
    • Ridesy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA X79 Dark
      • CPU:
      • i7 4820K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x EVGA GTX780Ti Classy Hydrocopper
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q

Finally off wait list

My PG278Q is arriving 16.13 - 17.12 today.

Will try to post some feedback as have been waiting a good while now for this and hope to have fun later.

Ridesy

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Ridesy View Post
    Finally off wait list

My PG278Q is arriving 16.13 - 17.12 today.

Will try to post some feedback as have been waiting a good while now for this and hope to have fun later.

Ridesy
    Congrats, I can't wait for your feedback.

How long did you have to wait?

Thanks
    • Ridesy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA X79 Dark
      • CPU:
      • i7 4820K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x EVGA GTX780Ti Classy Hydrocopper
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q

Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardDemon View Post
    Congrats, I can't wait for your feedback.

How long did you have to wait?
    Placed Pre-order about four weeks ago now and was lucky to be in second batch of recipients for the monitors.

Have been using the ROG Swift monitor all weekend and must say I don't think I could ever go back to a non G-Sync monitor now, as game play is so smooth it's just unreal.

I had read of people having issues with SLI, but so far I have none that worry me and am running with 2 x 780ti's (but no dedicated physix card). Only think I sometime see is an odd jump of whole display as map or game loads, but once in game everything runs super smooth.

Set up with new drivers was very easy, display set to 144hz, G-Sync on in Nvidia CP, V-Sync off in games and everything has run super smooth.

Actually a very "odd" experience, as I never really noticed tearing or lag on display, but seeing how smooth the graphics and gameplay are on this monitor just shows how bad they were on previous one (which was/is also a good Dell 27" one too)!

Would certainly recommend to all and think new drivers are likely to only improve experience further!

Ridesy

9. Received thanks from:

KeyboardDemon (01-09-2014)

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Ridesy View Post
    Placed Pre-order about four weeks ago now and was lucky to be in second batch of recipients for the monitors.

Have been using the ROG Swift monitor all weekend and must say I don't think I could ever go back to a non G-Sync monitor now, as game play is so smooth it's just unreal.

I had read of people having issues with SLI, but so far I have none that worry me and am running with 2 x 780ti's (but no dedicated physix card). Only think I sometime see is an odd jump of whole display as map or game loads, but once in game everything runs super smooth.

Set up with new drivers was very easy, display set to 144hz, G-Sync on in Nvidia CP, V-Sync off in games and everything has run super smooth.

Actually a very "odd" experience, as I never really noticed tearing or lag on display, but seeing how smooth the graphics and gameplay are on this monitor just shows how bad they were on previous one (which was/is also a good Dell 27" one too)!

Would certainly recommend to all and think new drivers are likely to only improve experience further!

Ridesy
    That does sound impressive, as do the specs on your rig, very nice.

You said you were running with V-Sync off, I thought that you had to set the drivers for G-Sync and then turn V-Sync on in game in order to get the G-Sync feature to work, can you confirm which way round it works?

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

Re: Asus Swift ROG PG278Q

After my ongoing saga of getting this monitor, not getting this monitor, getting an AHVA panel, then IPS, then VA etc... I finally decided to buy the BenQ BL3200PT 32" 2560x1440 screen which has amazing colours on in, but unfortunately was a long way off from the stated 4ms response times promised in the description, it even failed to play end credits for video files smoothly, so I sent that back and replaced it with the PG278Q. I am happier with this monitor, the 27" size is not as impressive as the 32" BenQ but it is a lot better for gaming and has a fantastic colour range for Photoshop work. The only downsides are the lack of inputs and that there is no sRGB mode so I need to find a way to calibrate the monitor. I have used this site to get my brightness and contrast set but need to find something to ensure my colour reproduction is set up correctly.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I have a blue filter, as supplied with the Disney World of Wonder BluRay but I can't run this through the monitor as it doesn't have an input I can use to connect my BluRay player to my monitor.
    Last edited by KeyboardDemon; 15-11-2014 at 12:56 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • mbrown839's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabertooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 256GB , 2xWD Black 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master M2 Silent Pro 1000W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Cosmos II

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but though I should post my experience with this monitor: I've had a bit of a saga with it. Long story short, I've had to send 3 back due to issues with the panel and probably won't be getting a 4th.

The first screen (made in December) had a dead pixel in the top right and came without a UK power cord. I can deal with a lack of a power cord but this was an annoyance as the brick takes a somewhat uncommon (compared to figure-of-8 C7 and kettle) C5 cloverleaf cable. Anyway, this was sent back to be replaced by the second one (Made in November) which had very noticeable bruising in the bottom right. It may be that the 1st also had this but as my eye was always drawn to the dead pixel I didn't notice. I sent this one back almost immediately. The 3rd one (made in October, as with the 1st came without UK plug) I received I kept for just under 2 weeks before sending back, because even though it had the same issue as the 2nd one, it either wasn't quite as visible or I had gotten used to it. I thought I would completely get used to it but after about a week and a half I couldn't lie to myself; it really bothered me in some games and when using a browser/word processing where there was a large amount of white in the bottom right. So it will be picked up on Tuesday and I will consider my options. I will definitely be getting a GSync monitor. Other than the dead pixel and bruising issues I absolutely LOVED the ROG Swift. The spec and design are fantastic, and the features are very good if a tiny bit limited by GSync. I've put a picture of the 2nd screen below but the 3rd was similar.

Some people might think I'm being overly picky but it really bothers me and my eye keeps being drawn to it, and I feel for £600 it is more of a defect than I should just put up with.

The first option and the one I'm currently leaning towards is to pre-order the Acer Predator XB270HU. It's the same resolution, refresh rate and screen size as the Swift and has a IPS (or IPS-type if you want to split hairs) screen so has better colours and viewing angles than the Swift. However, it doesn't support 3DVision and while I'm not convinced I'm bothered about this, I'm not convinced I'm not either. The overall aesthetic of the Predator isn't quite as good as the Swift in my opinion and the shiny bezel is a little annoying but is something I can likely get used to (as opposed to a bruise on the screen).

The second option is to downgrade and get a BenQ XL2420G. It's 24" 1080p rather than 27" 1440p but has 3DVision as well as multiple inputs, so I could connect a console, Raspberry Pi, blu ray player etc. if I ever felt the need. The pixel density is lower, approx. 92 PPI versus the Swift's 109. I sit quite a long way from my monitor, typically about 36" and no closer than 23" even in worst-case-scenario posture mode. Using http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html and plugging 3 feet in as my distance, 27" comes up as the recommended screen diagonal, although a 24" is recommended if I move my head/monitor forward by 4 inches, so a 24" isn't out of the question. I had been using a 21.5" and found that a little small so 24" is realistically the smallest I'd go. I have a single GTX 980 clocked at about 1360/1460 boost so can run basically everything now at 1400p/60fps on pretty high settings. Most games a few years old or more will cap out; BioShock infinite usually runs at 144fps at 1440p max settings. With GSync and lowering settings (particularly AA, I almost always find FXAA fine but maybe my eyesight isn't great plus as I've said I sit quite a way from my screen) 1440p should be acceptable for quite some time without an upgrade, but 1080p even more so. I've found 40-70fps to be the sweet spot for GSync as above this I find the smoothness improvement to be subject to diminishing returns (I'm not making any factually incorrect claims about the human eye!) and below it movement is still juddery even with GSync (although improved). So long story short I could go back to 24" 144Hz 1080p.

The final option is to order another Swift. I have read online that all Swifts have the bruising issue and at least 2 of the 3 I have had came with this issue. Possibly 3 but I can't say for sure due to being distracted by the dead pixel. I love the design, but the improved screen of the Acer could sway me if I had the two next to each other.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
    • Mister's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600k 3.40ghz @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Samsung Green 16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120gb Corsair Force3 SSD, 3tb Hitachi Deskstar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 670gtx OC
      • PSU:
      • 750w Seasonic X-series
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650d
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2410T

Bought a Swift the other day, but can't decide if I want to keep it or not. G-Sync is nice and all but overall the screen itself has questionable quality. :/

It has 1 tiny dead/black pixel towards the bottom right (not noticable, so I can ignore this). But the pixel inversion thing is annoying, especially coming from a 4 year old BenQ monitor which does not do it. It's really apparent when using 3D vision, everything has vertical stripes on it. The same thing can be seen in the trail of moving objects of certain colours (e.g. muzzle flashes in FPS games).

On the up side, the colours are good for a TN. Mine has no blacklight bleed or other backlight problems. The performance hit going from 1080 to 1440 was also much less than I expected (using a 780gtx).

BTW the manufacture date on mine is Jan 2015. Apparently they have improved them since 2014.
    Last edited by Mister; 15-05-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

@Mister: Tell me more about the pixel inversion, I don't think I have experienced this but then again, not knowing what it is, I might be getting it without knowing it.

I sent my Swift back at the end of March as I noticed that it developed a stuck pixel, that was back in January, I ran one of those fixing programs that unstuck the stuck pixel but then after a few weeks I had a dead pixel again, in roughly the same spot as well. Amazon were awesome about though and actually sent me a replacement before I sent my old monitor back. The new one, so far, has been flawless.

If you have a dead pixel, contact your seller and see what they suggest, when I contacted Amazon, they didn't even ask me to tell them about the issue, they just offered an immediate swap out, they even refunded me the return postage costs a few weeks later.

@mbrown839: Sorry I missed your post earlier, but due to today's post it has been bumped so I don't know if you have found a resolution to your issues but here are my thoughts.

Firstly, at £600+ for a new monitor you should accept nothing short of perfection, I wouldn't be saying that if you were buying at 12 year old used car, but this is a new Premium monitor, I got mine swapped for a dead pixel. I don't know how you have managed to get three monitors with defects and my immediate thoughts are that the seller must be mishandling his stock or that the bruising might be the result of bad handling during shipping.

You might now like going down to a 24" from a 27" screen and the drop in resolution might also end up feeling like you are dropping down, combined it would be like taking 2 steps back, however if you need extra connectivity on your monitor it might be the only option available to you. Have you check to see if there are any 27" or 1440p screens that give you the connectivity you want?

Thanks
    • Mister's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • i7 2600k 3.40ghz @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Samsung Green 16gb DDR3 @ 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120gb Corsair Force3 SSD, 3tb Hitachi Deskstar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 670gtx OC
      • PSU:
      • 750w Seasonic X-series
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650d
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2410T

Pixel inversion artifacts look like this:
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...rtifacts/page8

A lot of people have it on the Swift and a few other monitors, it might be on all of them.

Thread Information