Thread: Second hand monitor

Registered+
    Thanks

Second hand monitor

Hello there,

I need to get a monitor for my PC and due to budget limitations I need to get one second hand.

Would you kindly recommend me some sh stores that are in London? Being sh, I'd like to check it out before actually buying.

Secondly, could you recommend some actual monitors? I've used 1680x1050 and that would still be perfectly viable for me but I wouldn't say no to a 1080p one if I can get it really cheap.

Thank you very much for your help.

Thanks
    • sqwerty's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770K @ 4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2133Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 240GB Crucial SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 980Ti G10
      • PSU:
      • EVGA P2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define XL (usb3)
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24GM77
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200+

Re: Second hand monitor

You can get 22" 1080p monitors new starting at ~ £70 as it has been the standard for quite a while now, looking at lower res would either be pretty old or very small. Going second hand should let you grab a better panel for less coin but with little to no warranty, other than that I can't really help with the sh market on monitors as I've never actually been that route personally.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

How small a budget are we talking about?

As sqwerty has said above new monitors, even in PC World/Currys are very affordable now and they have a decent enough range to allow you to view a few models before buying. What I would do is go in and have a look at a few models, note the model numbers and then see if you can find them cheaper online.

The cheapest on their website were these two AOC models, a 19.5 inch 1600x900 model at £69.99 and a 22.5 inch 1080p model at £78.99.

For sh models you could look at CEX but in my experience with CEX they tend to be over priced on many of their sh items, I have seen them selling used items with a higher ticket value than getting an identical brand new item. Depending on how close you are to Tottenham Court Road you might want to try the computer fair that runs in the area or some of the independent shops near Goodge Street station and there's a computer fair style market near Queensway tube station too, iirc.

Another option is to look at freecycle for unwanted flat screen TVs, a friend of mine just picked up a Bush 32 lcd TV and has given that to his kids to use with an Xbox 360, the guy that gave it away said it wasn't good enough to sell but was too good to throw out.

Registered+
    Thanks

Thank you for your input. I will definitely check out the computer fair and the shops that you mentioned KeyboardDemon.

Had a look at the CEX website and their offers did seem a bit pricy to be honest. Saw a few cash converters stores and saw that they were the same thing as CEX but looking at their site I saw some good prices: 1680x1050 for 30£ seems like a good deal.

Had no idea that such a thing like freecycle exists. Such a great concept. But right now I'd feel like taking advantage and a bit hypocritical for getting something for free when maybe there's someone out there that needs a monitor more than me.

Thank you again for your responses guys, appreciate it.

Banned
    Thanks

Local ebay search usually shows up some ultra cheap monitors.

Registered+
    Thanks

Will check out eBay as well. Never bought anything from there so I should look for someone with good reputation I think. Thank you for your recommendation abaxas.

Thread Information