Thread: Yet another monitor related question.

Thanks

Yet another monitor related question.

Greetings one and all,

I have a problem or rather a dilemma that I have come seeking a solution from my betters in such matters.

I am looking for a monitor that will be used in two locations, as such, it will be fitted with a quick release plate.

I have a HP 8300 that is used for work purposes (MS Office, Adobe Premier and Elements & Internet). On this machine the monitor will be used on a table arm mount.

The second machine the monitor will be used with is a gaming PC. Sadly I only get to use this PC in our summerhouse which is pretty much one step up from a shed and unheated. As such, during the colder months the PC lives in a cupboard in the house and when used the summerhouse is heated. On the gaming PC the monitor will be used with a wall mount arm.

While I can afford two separate monitors I can’t leave a monitor in the summerhouse during Autumn/Winter as it is unheated and I have no where to safely store it when not in use. As such I genuinely require a monitor that can provide the best of both worlds, or as close to it as possible.

I suppose I should note at this point my new gaming PC does not yet completely exist and is just a few components still in their packaging at this point. But the final build should be running with and I7 6700K & 980Ti.

Now I realise this should cope with 1440p in most instances at this time I would prefer to stick with 1080p at least until I see what Pascal has to offer. I should also note that the largest monitor size that will fit on my work area with the HP 8300 is 25”, nothing larger will fit.

So I need a monitor that is
    Suitable for gaming
    Suitable for light image / photo and video editing
    No larger than 25”
    1080p

The results of two weeks of light research I have come up with the BenQ XL2420G and that’s about it. So before I click buy… does anyone have any better recommendations or reasons not to buy this monitor ?

Thank you kindly in advance for your time, effort and assistance.

A

Thanks

Re: Yet another monitor related question.

You must live somewhere pretty cold, monitors are frequently rated for at least -10°C non-operating temperature. BenQ's website doesn't give a figure for the one you're considering but Dell's S2716DG G-sync screen, for example, is rated for -20°C to 60°C non-operating temperature for storage:
    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/pr...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

Thanks

Hi EndlessWaves

It's not just cold but also damp. If my memory serves me well in 2013 temps dropped to around -20 although that's not exactly common. Either way I still wouldn't;t want to leave a monitor out there 24/7/265 unless it had an IP rating on it.

Isn't the S2716DG 27" and 1440p ?, sadly not what I'm looking for.

Thanks tho

A

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb

I don't understand why you don't want 1440p with a 980Ti. The Dell U2515h is the right size, with a very thin bezel, but it's 1440p. It's a great monitor.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anrkyuk View Post
    It's not just cold but also damp. If my memory serves me well in 2013 temps dropped to around -20 although that's not exactly common. Either way I still wouldn't;t want to leave a monitor out there 24/7/265 unless it had an IP rating on it.
    When you say the next thing up from a shed I assumed dry but unheated. I just gave the dell as an example to show what a similar screen could cope with as BenQ didn't give figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorsson View Post
    I don't understand why you don't want 1440p with a 980Ti. The Dell U2515h is the right size, with a very thin bezel, but it's 1440p. It's a great monitor.
    2560x1440@25" is neither one thing nor another. It's a bit high for 1x scaling and a bit low for 2x. While it'd be good for gaming, 1.5x isn't ideal for a lot of applications. You ideally want quad resolutions unless you're sure all your applications are HighDPI ready.

I don't think that monitor supports variable refresh rates and it's only 60hz to begin with, so it's less demanding than the 1920x1080@144hz and has even less requirement for a GTX 980ti.

LG do a 2560x1080@25" variable refresh rate screen, but it's using the DisplayPort standard which nVidia don't yet support. Although given how much surplus of power you've got they might be worth considering, variable refresh rates make biggest impact at lower frame rates.

There are a few other 1920x1080 screens using the nVidia-only tech though, have you considered the
    Acer XB240H and AOC G2460PG?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-24-Inch...dp/B00P67ZW3C/
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-ao...m1-1ms-usb-hub

Thanks

The Benq monitor is good for gaming purposes but an IPS monitor would be better for image/video editing in terms of colour reproduction and quality.

There is a review on displaylag.com about the Benq monitor which should give you some idea.

I don't think there are any IPS monitors which offer G-Sync@144Hz@1080P

Alternative to Benq is Asus VG248QE which is a TN panel and doesn't come with G-sync but offers everthing similar to the Benq at a lower price. This monitor allows you to install G-Sync module seperately but not sure if it is still available.

ASUS PG279Q and Acer Predator XB270HU are 27 inch and offer an IPS panel @144Hz with G-sync which is big for your requirement but an option.

Thread Information