Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #GamerGate

Thanks

Re: #GamerGate

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    But that's a fabricated excuse. That's the point.....

But none of that is part of #GamerGate.
    Fair enough if it's not related to the hashtag and we're limiting discussion to that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

There we go. 3 weeks of IRC logs, where #gamergate was planned as a means to destroy "SJWs", summarized.

https://storify.com/strictmachine/gameovergate

All the "ethics" and "integrity" stuff is fabricated. It's just about kicking women out of gaming.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cptwhite_uk View Post
    Basically some sexist, immature, (most likely) virgin, 15-25 year old bedroom hackers with personality and hygiene issues thought it might fun to destroy someone online for no other reason than they can. Pathetic.
    Replies like that don't get anyone anywhere. Yes some of the indie devs in question have been doxxed (not the same as hacked), including zoe quinn and phil fish. Yep, it sucks and they should prosecute those people if they acted outside the law. That does not mean that we should not talk about it.

It's not just about a few people exchanging sex for favors nor is it about nepotism in general within the gaming media. It stretches further than that;
    - with games getting awards on festivals from people that have funded them and have a vested interest in making them successful
    - other indie devs not being allowed to speak out otherwise they'd be shunned by the others and their careers as devs will likely be destroyed
    - forums censoring everything around it (search for gamergate on giantbomb and you'll find literally nothing)

People want more clarity with what kind of bias a gaming journalist/jury has. Instead of focusing on insulting the doxxers who probably will never read this, I'd prefer to talk about this gigantic problem in gaming 'journalism'.
    Last edited by Waswat; 08-09-2014 at 05:12 PM.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Waswat View Post
    - with games getting awards on festivals from people that have funded them and have a vested interest in making them successful
    It is not an investment where financial success makes the slightest bit of difference.

People on panels at gaming things are gamers, and they are just as interested in games as anyone else. Does it surprise you that they might equally be interested in games as non-judges?

People who grew up on point-and-click games might fund a kickstarter to see another game of that type, because they want to play such a thing? Fancy that!

- other indie devs not being allowed to speak out otherwise they'd be shunned by the others and their careers as devs will likely be destroyed
    Wait, who's controlling who again?

- forums censoring everything around it (search for gamergate on giantbomb and you'll find literally nothing: http://www.giantbomb.com/search/?q=gamergate )
    Forums are private property of the sites running them. You can't say what you want here on Hexus either.

People want more clarity with what kind of bias a gaming journalist/jury has. Instead of focusing on insulting the doxxers who probably will never read this, I'd prefer to talk about this gigantic problem in gaming 'journalism'.
    The idea that indie games is some evil cabal controlling the media is so ****ing laughable as to be absurd. The guys with the huge full-page adverts, those are the ones you need to be concerned about - see Gerstmanngate. But do the "gamergate" people see a problem with EA paying the bills on a gaming site? No, they see allies - "Operation Disrespectful Nod" is about getting EA etc to exert editorial control over "corrupt" sites by getting them to threaten to pull advertising money unless they fire the journalists being singled out for punishment by the court of #gamergate.

Registered+
    Thanks

It is not an investment where financial success makes the slightest bit of difference.

People on panels at gaming things are gamers, and they are just as interested in games as anyone else. Does it surprise you that they might equally be interested in games as non-judges?

People who grew up on point-and-click games might fund a kickstarter to see another game of that type, because they want to play such a thing? Fancy that!
    http://i.imgur.com/jbp3XKj.jpg
    I wouldn't call 20k or 10k a mere kickstarter investment, especially since it wasn't via kickstarter at all. Furthermore, via kickstarter you don't get any revenue back from investing.

Wait, who's controlling who again?
    http://i.imgur.com/34RwPcn.png

Forums are private property of the sites running them. You can't say what you want here on Hexus either.
    Right, that's true and i'm quite happy about it. At least here we CAN talk about it.

But do the "gamergate" people see a problem with EA paying the bills on a gaming site?
    First of all, they're not all the same people. You're very much overgeneralizing. But yes, there's a reason why the phrase "can't spell ignorant without IGN" exists. The big hype sites that hype up all the triple A games have lost a lot of respect over time. And yes, Gerstmanngate was a huge problem just as well; it opened up a can of worms which lead to a lot of things including the formation of GiantBomb. However, back then the outrage wasn't centralized. Reddit was still in kids shoes for example.
    I agree, the whole problem isn't just indies. What do you say we do about it? Just stay quiet and ignore it? Because I don't know if I can...

Edited a bit for clarification
    Last edited by Waswat; 08-09-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

http://i.imgur.com/jbp3XKj.jpg
    I wouldn't call 20k or 10k a mere kickstarter investment, especially since it wasn't via kickstarter at all. Especially since via kickstarter you don't get any revenue back from investing.
    The outrage is that Indie Fund funded an indie? Heavens!

Regardless of what it is now to a number of participants, #GamerGate started, 100%, as a harassment & purging campaign. Maybe people who jumped on board subsequently really believe the ethics dog-whistle was the only motivation. Maybe you do too. Maybe he did. But a good way to lose friends in a relatively tight knit community is to leap in and say "zomg the corruption is true" when your peers are being chased out of their homes with murder-rape threats or doxxing. Perhaps a tiny bit uncouth?

As for supporting your point? https://twitter.com/phubans/status/507641703910477824 - he specifically refutes it.

First of all, they're not all the same people. You're very much overgeneralizing.
    How can I not overgeneralize, when the only unifying factor is the self-assigned hashtag? #GamerGate belongs to 4chan just as much as it belongs to the concerned gamer - which makes them part of the same self-assigned group.

But yes, there's a reason why the phrase "can't spell ignorant without IGN" exists. The big hype sites that hype up all the triple A games have lost a lot of respect over time. And yes, Gerstmanngate was a huge problem just as well; it opened up a can of worms which lead to a lot of things including the formation of GiantBomb. However, back then the outrage wasn't centralized. Reddit was still in kids shoes for example.
    I agree, the whole problem isn't just indies. What do you say we do about it? Just stay quiet and ignore it? Because I don't know if I can...
    It's Enthusiast press. If you want decent writing, you pay for decent writing. Who writes those cheques, you or advertisers? And regardless of who pays, can you trust people to have the integrity to be objective, regardless of professional relationships? Can HEXUS be honest about, say, a QNAP product review when there's an advert to the right of this edit box right now for their products? (The answer is yes, by the way - and it was "yes" for most of the targeted games journalists too when the mob tried and convicted them)

Registered+
    Thanks

The outrage is that Indie Fund funded an indie? Heavens!
    No, it's about judges of IGF investing in the indies they later on 'judged'. You probably didn't see the video that I edited in (while you were responding I guess).
    Please just ditch the snarkiness though, it's rather tough to take you seriously if you're gonna act like that.

As for supporting your point? https://twitter.com/phubans/status/507641703910477824 - he specifically refutes it.
    Fair enough! I'm glad he did not get "run out of the game industry". At least I can cross that from the list of problems. He did add that there is a group of people/clique that doesn't like him just because he is worried about corruption.

It's Enthusiast press. If you want decent writing, you pay for decent writing. Who writes those cheques, you or advertisers? And regardless of who pays, can you trust people to have the integrity to be objective, regardless of professional relationships? Can HEXUS be honest about, say, a QNAP product review when there's an advert to the right of this edit box right now for their products? (The answer is yes, by the way - and it was "yes" for most of the targeted games journalists too when the mob tried and convicted them)
    Here is i guess where the lines get blurred. Enthusiast press is a bit of a broad term and covers quite a lot of murky territory. I wouldn't mind paying for a good newspaper as much as i wouldn't mind paying for good game journalism. Of course I am in the minority here. Can I however trust people to have the integrity to be objectives regardless of their relationships or should I take their opinions with a pinch of salt? I don't know. For you the answer may be yes, but for me it could very well be a resounding "No" and it means that I'd have to look for more sources elsewhere.
    Hype articles, "previews" and other sensationalism aside though... I probably would not trust a site/journalist to be objective about a product review when that product is being splattered all over it. Yes it is possible, but why 'risk' it?

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

No, it's about judges of IGF investing in the indies they later on 'judged'. You probably didn't see the video that I edited in (while you were responding I guess).
    Please just ditch the snarkiness though, it's rather tough to take you seriously if you're gonna act like that.
    The IGF judges are people who are big in the indie scene - the people who've been successful enough in their fields of endeavour to be regarded as "experts". Which means, yes, a lot of crossover with the people who also have enough money to contribute to Indie Fund (which is an absolutely essential resource for indie developers)

Hype articles, "previews" and other sensationalism aside though... I probably would not trust a site/journalist to be objective about a product review when that product is being splattered all over it. Yes it is possible, but why 'risk' it?
    Because that's how you keep the lights on. Most game journos are getting paid a pittance for their work - minimum wage at best. I believe $50 an article is the norm. How much time does it take to make an article to earn $50? Plenty of time, if it's a review.

It's a vicious cycle. Most content on games sites is marketing - review copies of games come from the marketing budget, "news" is digested from press releases (and adds hype for the requisite products). Ads are bought in advance by the companies who want to target the demographic the site represents - which means people interested in the products the site talks about, which means most ads are for games or products of interest to gamers like peripherals or services or stores. The only way to get the bigger ad buys is by offering a steadily increasing number of eyeballs, through more and more content - opinion pieces, roundups, analyses, etc.

You don't want objectivity. Try reading http://www.objectivegamereviews.com/titanfall-review/ - is that meaningful? Does it say anything which would convince you more or less to buy the game than reading the back of the box? No. Your thirst for news (regurgitated press releases) and reviews (marketing) from reviewers you trust (whose biases align with yours, as demonstrated over time) is sated by finding sources you can get on with. I don't read IGN reviews either - but they often have decent walkthroughs I read on there. I don't agree with everything Leigh Alexander writes, but she always writes things that are interesting regardless of whether I agree or not, and ultimately that's what I want - interesting games being made, and interesting things being written, by interesting people.

That's the great conspiracy. Gamers finding each others' work interesting. Sometimes interesting enough to draw attention to, sometimes interesting enough to support financially. It doesn't change whether they still share enough likes and dislikes with you that they can tell you what you want to know - i.e. whether product X is worth your time or not.

Registered+
    Thanks

The last question is from a consumer/viewer/reader point of view, not the journalists. It's not hard to figure out why they'd do it.

My wording is a bit off (English is not my native language), so excuse me for that. I do understand I don't want 100% objectivity in game reviews. However, I also don't want to read a game review; see it seems great, buy the game and find out that it's not nearly as great as the review author promised. As I said at the start of the discussion, people (or at least, I personally) want clarity. I want to know if a review has been specifically paid for and preferably I want to know if the reviewer was put a gag order on negativity. (This seems to happen a lot, especially on youtube.) Just as much as I want to know if the link I'm about to click in my google search is a sponsored ad or not.
    Last edited by Waswat; 08-09-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

The last question is from a consumer/viewer/reader point of view, not the journalists. It's not hard to figure out why they'd do it.

My wording is a bit off (English is not my native language), so excuse me for that. I do understand I don't want 100% objectivity in game reviews. However, I also don't want to read a game review; see it seems great, buy the game and find out that it's not nearly as great as the review author promised. As I said at the start of the discussion, people (or at least, I personally) want clarity. I want to know if a review has been specifically paid for and preferably I want to know if the reviewer was put a gag order on negativity. (This seems to happen a lot, especially on youtube.) Just as much as I want to know if the link I'm about to click in my google search is a sponsored ad or not.
    Assume, as the default position, that the firewall between advertising and editorial that Saracen mentioned is strictly enforced. It is, in most cases. Correlation between "X knows Y" or "X funded Y's Patreon" don't necessarily mean their reviews won't meet the same conclusions #~~~

Next, work out the reviewers whose opinions you trust, based on their past correlation.

Finally, be super-suspicious of any review which isn't posted until on or after the release date of a game (this only happens when the publisher knows the game is bad, and doesn't want negative reviews to affect day-1 sales). Usually review copies are handed out weeks in advance, with an embargo date agreed upon by all sites receiving the review code as a condition of receiving that code (again, be suspicious if your favourite site is missing a review on embargo day, It probably means there was a minimum score attached to the embargo date). If IGN posts a review in advance but Polygon doesn't have anything up until release day, that usually means the scores won't line up. Oh, and on this point, note that most sites would prefer to post a negative review late than a lie of a review on embargo day.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

I made a blog post from all this. http://apebox.org/wordpress/gaming/635/

Registered+
    Thanks

If you're accepting any criticism: That was just one huge rant and way too painful to read through due to the writing style. But I'm probably not the target audience considering you're using some of the same arguments I disagreed with.

As far as your previous post goes, easier said then done when there is no transparency. At least the escapist took a huge step in the right direction!
    Last edited by Waswat; 11-09-2014 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I'm amused by how the 'leaked' photos of Zoe Quinn were merely the ones already publicly hosted on the likes of the Suicide Girls website anyway...

Registered+
    Thanks

Interesting take on it by super bunnyhop:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLNZFWR0Q8M#t=160
    The most relevant stuff was probably the interview imo. It shows how much of a very fine line all this is from a journalism standpoint.

"Would you say funding a sources creative projects crosses that line?
    - Absolutely, no doubt in my mind whatsoever. If you're the writer and I'm the inventor or creator and somehow we have a monetary relationship that we hope will result in my success, then for you to write [about me or my projects would be] unethical."

He goes on to say that roommates would be even worse and sexual relationships would be crossing that line as well.
    They would apply DOUBLY to the editorial writing because it is an opinion and "why should i trust your opinion if i don't believe it is objective?"

It shows that it really is a disclosure issue.

The full unedited review is here:
    http://youtu.be/4-7RLxrsJ04

Furthermore he asked mitch keller (a somewhat recently retired author for the new york times) about this as well, and here are his thoughts:
    http://i.imgur.com/rTXvx00.jpg
    To quote:
    "[developing a closer relationship with the source] shouldn't happen but it does. And when it does, the reporter has a responsibility to inform his editor and remove himself from the beat and not do any more writings related to that beat or that source."

See, there lies the issue.
    Last edited by Waswat; 12-09-2014 at 01:16 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • sidsapcewalker's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI UK Z97-G45 Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-4690K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova 750G2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VS239HV

Just adding my two cents to this discussion:

The following video is a discussion between the co-founder of The Escapist and a Twitter user. They talk about how much more profitable it is for a website to run a rage inducing article. http://youtu.be/rdDDIIL-mdk

Hope you will have learned something new by the end of it.
    Last edited by sidsapcewalker; 30-09-2014 at 03:29 PM.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

You got a couple of things the wrong way round there, Ttaskmaster.

So, "gamergate".

About 3 weeks ago, a guy named Eron Gjoni posted a long rambling account of how his ex girlfriend did him wrong, cheated on him, etc. The accusations made by Gjoni were that his girlfriend, an indie game developer, received positive coverage from various blogs as a result of her sleeping with the writers covering her games (especially the free browser game Depression Quest, for which she is best known).

"Gamers" were outraged, and immediately began a witch hunt, citing concerns over ethics in the game industry, to track down everyone involved with developer Zoe Quinn, and any possible relationships those journalists might have with others, etc. Twitter turned into a vicious rape-and-death-threat party, and anyone trying to defend her was attacked in return. Controversial indie developer Phil Fish was "doxxed" by outraged gamers (every possible piece of personal information they could hack their way into obtaining was obtained), and announced he was quitting the games industry in response (again). On top of the doxxing already done of Quinn, e.g. spreading nude pics around.

In response, a number of the besieged game journalists and bloggers wrote a few articles along the lines of "the 'gamers' label is meaningless these days anyway, when every retirement home has a Wii and every smartphone has Angry Birds - those clinging to the badge today are trying to associate themselves with the sexist people attacking Zoe Quinn". These articles were mostly ignored until Leigh Alexander did one for Gamasutra, when suddenly it was the biggest ethical problem of our times.

Aaaaand around the time this was happening, pop culture critic Anita Sarkeesian published the latest in her video series drawing attention to patterns of sexist themes in games. The "gamers" on the Internet hate Sarkeesian, so that set her off even more. The "I'm looking at your house, and am going to murder-rape you" messages drove her from her home.

Currently, #gamergate is the leftovers of that spat - gamers insisting that every criticism of the games industry is wrong and forbidden, mostly targeted at women or their allies, all under the banner of "ethics".
    So pretty much standard "Twitter court of public opinion" then. Still, never let the truth (whatever it is) get in the way of a good flame war. On a similar
    (but unrelated topic) interesting to se that a Twitter keyboard warrior was jailed for 18 weeks for stalking an MP with death threats. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29411031
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information