Thread: Rugby 2005 (PC), First Impressions:

Thanks

Rugby 2005 (PC), First Impressions:

Hello, I received the game yesterday and have been playing it quite alot.
    Luckily there are no game crashes like there were in 2004 and the graphics really are top notch. The game play is generally more fluid than the other games. The learning curb is like Pro Evo 4, fairly difficult at the start but gets simpler when you get further on in.
    If you were dissapointed by other Rugby games then I really suggest that you should get this.

These are the only problems that I could find with the game:

1) When you have taken a place kick, the camera which follows the ball is absolutely awful, you cannot even see the posts.

2) Only 3 Camera angles
    ii) Only one camera angle on replay, you can only zoom in and out.

3) Strange jump frame when doing line outs

4) Passing isn't as responsive as it should be, you have to hold down the pass button to do a miss pass. Most of the time you never have time to do this and so you end up getting tackled.

5) Very bad catching system, they often drop it or just don't pick it up. The game slows down for some reason when catching (like the lineouts). This is not due to having a slow computer as mine literally has the specifications by 5x or more...

6) Can't scroll through menus with keyboard, may sound small but it is very annoying when having to pick up the mouse midway through the game

7) Some of the plays are scripted (ie. When passing out of a line out the whole thing is basically the same thing everytime, it doesn't mix well.

If anyone does have this game, would anyone be able to help with these:

I have a few annoyances about the game, firstly my game came with no manual and so these questions may be down to this.

1) I have an official PS2 pad on my PC (using PSX converter) The button configuration is wrong in the game. I cannot change the buttons via Windows. I cannot find any where I can change the controls, is there any way to do this?

2) How do I perfom the set moves and dummies? I only see some arrows when a ruck has formed and I don't know what to do from there. How do I do number 8 Pickups?

3) On Scrums, you cannot help being pushed back? Am I right in thinking this?

4)Is there a PDF File which is available for download so that I could see a manual?

Basically, if you are looking for a very good rugby game then this is it. I am sure some patches will be coming out in the near future, this would make it an even better game.

I hope this helps with anyone wanting to buy the game, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. If anyone could answer my questions it would be much appreciated, Alex

Score when compared to Rugby 2004 = 10/10

Score when compared to normal games = 8/10

Thanks
    playing rugby on Pc is just as pointless as playing American football on PC. Boring and hard to understand. Just my two pennies worth.

Of course, If you love rugby you may think differently.
    [xp 2400 @ 133*13.5] [1Gb Twinmos DDR400 CL 2.5] [Abit NF7-s Rev 2.0] [Tagan 480W PSU] [2 x SATA Maxtor 120gb hdd - 1 x 80gb IDE Maxtor hdd - 1 x 80gb IDE Maxtor hdd] [Teac 4x Cdrw] [SonicFury S/C] [LG GSA-4082B DVD+/-RW] [Radeon 9600 np] [Zalman Al-Cu Flower - Arctic silver 3] [windows xp pro 2600 build] [3x 80mm case fans]

Thanks
    Well I do

Thanks
    Anyone got this game?

Or a Samsung Spinpoint they wanna sell

Registered+
    Thanks
    I'm finding it very difficult to get into, seem to loosing heavily every time. Haven't managed to score a single point yet. Also keep giving away penalties but the oposition never do

Think I need to practice against human oposition.

Thanks
    It really isn't that hard. Play as England and you will be sure to win. But around rucks make sure your highlighted man stays behind the back foot of the ruck otherwise it will be offside. Remember, you do not need to push in rucks, you just get the men to it and so there is no need for using the arrows. I am enjoying it.

How do you do set moves with a keyboard?

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    Just bought this on PS2, I couldnt resist, personally I hated the last rugby on the PC, really could not get on with it, and im a bit of a rugby nut.

Will have to give this a go on the PS2 tonight and see if its any better

m@
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Thanks
    Its really good despite the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Starside
    playing rugby on Pc is just as pointless as playing American football on PC. Boring and hard to understand. Just my two pennies worth.
    Why did you even bother to post that? Extreme ignorance imo.

Anyway about the game, firstly the controller issue, I have exactly the same problem with Fifa 2005, I use the PS2 controller coz its by far the best controller you can use on a pc. But EA in their typical arrogant way decided that unless your controller was supported by THEIR game, (it may work perfectly with windows or directx but you still cant configure the keys in their games).

This really annoys me, Fifa2005 sits on the shelf because I cant configure my controller. The only conclusion is that they want to push controller manufacturers that pay them affiliation money. It really is scandalous.

Back to the game, I only have the PS2 version of this game and all the points you raise are the same so I assume its a direct port, Ill answer some of them

1) When you have taken a place kick, the camera which follows the ball is absolutely awful, you cannot even see the posts.

2) Only 3 Camera angles
    ii) Only one camera angle on replay, you can only zoom in and out.

3) Strange jump frame when doing line outs

4) Passing isn't as responsive as it should be, you have to hold down the pass button to do a miss pass. Most of the time you never have time to do this and so you end up getting tackled.

5) Very bad catching system, they often drop it or just don't pick it up. The game slows down for some reason when catching (like the lineouts). This is not due to having a slow computer as mine literally has the specifications by 5x or more...

6) Can't scroll through menus with keyboard, may sound small but it is very annoying when having to pick up the mouse midway through the game

7) Some of the plays are scripted (ie. When passing out of a line out the whole thing is basically the same thing everytime, it doesn't mix well.

If anyone does have this game, would anyone be able to help with these:

I have a few annoyances about the game, firstly my game came with no manual and so these questions may be down to this.

1) I have an official PS2 pad on my PC (using PSX converter) The button configuration is wrong in the game. I cannot change the buttons via Windows. I cannot find any where I can change the controls, is there any way to do this?

2) How do I perfom the set moves and dummies? I only see some arrows when a ruck has formed and I don't know what to do from there. How do I do number 8 Pickups?

3) On Scrums, you cannot help being pushed back? Am I right in thinking this?

4)Is there a PDF File which is available for download so that I could see a manual?

1 same as tv, you never really know if it went through the posts.

2 How many do you need? But, yes it would be nice to manually configure angle, distance etc.. this wont change in patch

3 dont see this on ps2 (it could be that you havent gone through training and worked out how to do it.??)

4 this is realistic, it takes longer to judge and throw a miss pass (try it), otherwise it would be too easy. miss miss try!!

5 you need manual, you can jump up and catch pass with triangle, but in normal catches you have to position your man nearer the ball, this comes with practice. Its not bad at all, it just requires skill

6 n/a ps2 version

7 some plays are scripted, and thank god for that, last year you had to do so many damn things it becamse impossible.. Scripting works well especially in miss moves etc. When you see the preplanned move starting each player has a symbol over his head, on ps2 you press the symbol over the player you would like to end up with the ball. i.e triangle = flyhalf, square = inside centre etc.

"On scrums you cant help being pushed back" , no what you have to do is press hook (square) and then left analog stick to push forward, if you start getting pushed back press x to "dig in"

I am not sure why you didnt receive a manual (perhaps bitorrent have stopped doing manuals ) but you should really send it back because you need the manual for all the little features!
    Last edited by tom deloford; 29-03-2005 at 03:23 PM.
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram
    ATI X800 XT PE | Blackgold TV Card
    Raptor 74Gb OS/Games | 200Gb Storage
    Samsung 21inch TFT | Freecom16x DVD/RW

Thanks
    Hello, thank you very much for that. I am just wondering about the set plays. You say that you press triangle, square etc. to initiate them, when do you do this?

Thanks
    On the ps2 when there is a scrum you can press up right or down on the dpad to initiate a setplay (tight,wide or something else) then press pass and the ball is passed from the scrum, then each player has a symbol over his head, its then that you press only that symbol. The symbol you press then ensures that the that player ends up with the ball, switch move, crossover, skip pass etc. Dont know if its the same on the pc tho.
    Athlon 3500+ | 1Gb Ram
    ATI X800 XT PE | Blackgold TV Card
    Raptor 74Gb OS/Games | 200Gb Storage
    Samsung 21inch TFT | Freecom16x DVD/RW

Thread Information