Thread: So what do you think of COD2 then?

Thanks

So what do you think of COD2 then?

Figured I'd start a thread about COD2 and what the general concensus was around here.

I've only had it for a day and so far I'm finding it good fun. Runs really well, it certainly doesnt demand as much h/w resource as FEAR, and (in my eyes) it doesnt look as good either. But for the gameplay its pretty much more of the same. I dont think it would unreasonable to say if you liked the original (and the add-on) then you're pretty much set.

One thing though, Im finding it really really easy! Believe me im no FPS master (im an old 30 something) but im breezing through it. I think i've only died once (trapped on scenery trying to run from a grenade) and so far I've completed all the Russian and English missions - all in one sitting, all within a couple of hours.

So, what do you reckon to COD2? Worth the wait?
    What we share with everyone is glum, and dark...

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    hehe yet again you have got it a full day before release xD Will tell you tomorrow night when I get it installed

Thanks
    Its all about the game pre-orders... Never let you down for that early delivery

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    Yeah gotta say I love this game As i thought I would. It is far far too easy on normal and below though - your health just regenerates too fast and the only way your going to die is if you do something totally stupid like run into a room full of german soldiers with no ammo.

It gets better on the harder difficulties though as you can only take 2 or 3 hits before your dead, and it takes 10s or so to recover. Much better I'm still on the russion missions as i didnt have that much time to play it yesturday, but its well worth your money

Thanks
    Definitely play it on the harder settings, even if you're not that good at FPSs... it's too easy on anything below mid-difficulty.

I think this is the way we'll see a lot of big name games going, tbh.

Call Of Duty 2 is going to be an Xbox 360 game as well and things like the health regen system, which allows you to make mistakes and still live, and the lack of a save function other than the checkpoints, all have the hallmarks of console ease of use.

Happily for PC gamers, the gameplay is still great and CoD 2 is a nice step forward for the series. The AI aren't too shabby and it feels far more realistic than previous versions... probably because they've spent much more time on the animations so the soldiers move more realistically.

The one gripe I do have is that soldiers seem immune to fire when they're climbing over walls etc. In the Russian campaign, there's a bit where you ahve to defend against a counter attack and the Germans will come climbing through the windows... I've emptied entire clips into them as they came through and they didn't tumble over backwards, they just carried on coming through... bit of a downer that one, tbh.

Some of the set-pieces are great though and the voice acting is superb. Be warned, there's a surprising amount of swearing, which, from the war books I've read, is tottally realistic but might shock younger gamers... Heed the rating on the box!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • Zyte's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI 770-C45
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 Classic
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung Spinpoint-F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 1GB HD 5850
      • PSU:
      • 600W Coolermaster Silent Pro
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Gladiator 600
    does your health regenerate in multiplayer?

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick

Call Of Duty 2 is going to be an Xbox 360 game as well and things like the health regen system, which allows you to make mistakes and still live, and the lack of a save function other than the checkpoints, all have the hallmarks of console ease of use.

What a surprise eh the Xbox having a negative effect on yet more pc games

Still it doesnt ruin COD2 unlike the other console destroyed games eg deusEx2

I've not tried multiplayer yet so don;t know if your health regenerates there too..

Thanks
    FYI - you can save at any point in the game by dropping down the console, type in save and it should auto-complete, I cant recall the exact command.

Thanks
    I don't mind checkpoints, i thought it was well done in Far Cry most of the time, and it makes you play a little more carefully.

What is pissing me off, is this stupid health system. They say that Health packs are un-realistic, well so is running away from war, sitting in a corner like you taking a ****, and healing.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    I've found this really easy also on the standard difficulty, games like FEAR I've had to put on easy as its really tough from the outset and I still find it challenging enough. From what I read about this game in last months PC Zone and online in various places there was supposed to be medics in you're squad and you had to keep them alive or you didnt get healed.

Hide away for literally a few seconds and life is fully restored and ready for you to go on the rampage again, it worked well on HALO but not so much on this.

Finally, I have noticed that the opening missions (1st mission) on the Russian and British scenarios are quite long but the remaining 3 are pretty short and you can get through them in around 15 mins, tank charge was over in around 10 mins for me. I am on the last British scenario already and can honestly say havnt been playing that long at all.

First CoD and UO were fantastic but this one stinks of a portover from Xbox with better DX9 graphics. Great visuals dont neccesarily make a game, a challenge would be nice also !

Thanks
    Tell you what though - I've just had some of the best fun a bloke can have when-the-missus-is-away-visiting-family-back-up-north on his own for a long time. Picked up on the later levels of the game and I've just had a <literal> blast. The later sections are just great, pile on the surround sound sit back and enjoy.

Thanks
    It may not offer anything new, and it may have its shortcomings, but it is a hell of a lot of FUN!!

Back in Sunny UK...and it is sunny too :D...pleasant surprise.
    Thanks
    Well I got it on Friday and had to go for it on easy to experience the game as I returned to Malaysia on Sunday night. My laptop won't run it.

I have to say it is very easy on the easy level. I completed the game on Saturday (but then I am a COD whore) and restarted at a harder level to see how the life system worked further up the scale.

I like the idea of surviving minor hits but you get a rifle bullet in the head and down you go. The same appears to be true with the enemy soldiers too. Wing them and they fight on, though limping a bit, a double tap to the forehead sorts them out a treat though. A downed German may wriggle a bit and if you aren't careful he will draw a pistol for a last ditch effort at taking you with him. Grenades have taken me out instantly in some of the melees when I didn't see them land in the confusion. The Germans in the game are in love with the damn things!! I did notice that sometimes the Germans are very hard to kill. Especially from distance and when they are climbing over obstacles.

I had a good laugh when one of my British squad mates yelled "shoot that bloody w*nker!!" for the first time. The battle chatter feature is quite good. The game to me is more brutal than its predecessors. Graphically and aurally. Wounded soldiers will scream as you move in and finish them off. In fact there is a constant yelling and screaming from both sides. You get the feeling of being in a much bigger scenario than in the original. Something that UO started but COD2 has enhanced. Also the multiple approach to objectives on some levels aids this and makes the game much less linear. Nice touch.

The game ran smoothly all the way through for me (3.0 Ghz P4, 6800GT, 1 Mb RAM) and I had the number of bodies on screen set at 'insane'.

In short, it's a whole load of fun and I love it, but will benefit from a patch to sort out a couple of minor bugs.
    "You want loyalty? ......get a dog!"

Thread Information