Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Use your Wiimote on PC

Thanks
    although the fact that we can use the wiimotes for anything is GREAT for us! i think nintendo should have thought about this a little more carefully.

the whole point of the wii and why people are loving it so much is that the controlling of game movements is done with the actual movements of the user. but the only "breakthrough" was the wiimote, not the console itself. if the wii just had standard controllers, it would have been a bigger flop than the gamecube.

nintendo should have made it only possible to use the wiimote on a wii, sumhow. now, people will be using the wiimote on all kinds of things. and how much are they retailing for? £20-30? if sum brand released a pc controller that had the same capabilities as the wiimote, many people would have bought it, and easily paid around £60 for it.

people want to buy the wii for the experience! and the experience can be gained from the wiimote alone. people will just buy the wiimote, download some open source drivers...and nodoubt someone will make some better suiting games for a pc.

even im tempted to buy a wiimote now.

who aggree's? post YOUR veiws! lol

Far Superior To Meths EvilWeevil's Avatar
    Thanks
    • EvilWeevil's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5W-DH Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
      • Memory:
      • 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS-2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Caviar, 320GB DiamondMax 10, 400GB Spinpoint, 1TB MyBook External
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus EAX1900XT
      • PSU:
      • OCZ GameXStream 700W
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-G70B
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP
      • Internet:
      • Homechoice/Tiscali 8 down/1 up
    Quote Originally Posted by hsncool View Post

Nintendo should have made it only possible to use the wiimote on a wii, somehow.
    Nintendo don't exactly make it easy do they? But you can write software/drivers for pretty much anything tbh - plenty of previous console controllers have been hacked for use on a PC, so why not the wii-mote. While the Wii marketing strategy is obviously based around the wiimote, it also relies on the availability of suitable games. Precision control over a katana or tennis racket vs novelty of playing a PC game with motion sensors and then getting owned by someone using KB and mouse?

I doubt that the tinkerings of a minority of geeks is really going to affect the 99.9% of their customers who think the wiimote works using fairy magic.

And just read some of the idotic comments from people who are obviously out of their depth and thus should really have kept their mouth shut

My DeviantArt | tomhendriks.co.uk | Need something (reasonable) hosted? PM me!

Not Very Senior Member RavenNight's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've just tried it with a Sensor Bar and the newer version of GlovePie, it works really really well, the pointer mode is far easier to use than the rolling script I tried earlier. I reckon some IR LEDs, a USB connector (to supply the juice) and a couple of resistors and you could get a pretty powerful remote control for your PC.
    AMD 3700+ San Diego @ 2.8GHz | Zalman CNPS 9500LED + Arctic Cooling MX-1 | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe + Zalman Northbridge | 1024MB DDR RAM (2 x 512MB Corsair XMS Pro TwinX) | Leadtek nVidia 6600GT 128MB | Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music | 2x80GB Hitachi Deskstar SATA-II (RAID 0) | Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case | Hiper Type-R 580W Modular | Enermax Ultimate Fan Controller| Microsoft Nautral 4000 | Logitech G5 + fUnc 1030| Ideazon Fang | SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 Surround Headset | Samsung SM913N 19" TFT | Compro DVB-T200

"Dell? You get better tech support with a cheese sandwich"

Registered+
    Thanks
    ive gotta question about the wiimote...

it does have 6 degrees of freedom right? as in you point it up , down, left and right, and roll it side to side, as well as move it up/down , left/right and front/back

what im looking for is to map the front/back movement to the scroll wheel, this should make it more useful for strategy games where you use the scroll wheel to zoom in... ideally i find an IR source and use the wiimote something like a laser pointer for the cursor, and when i hold down a button , the left/right and up/down movement will be mapped to the mouse movement as well, so it will feel like you are pulling your view of the world around ....

Thanks
    • Spitfire01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B75-G41
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 3770
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Coresair RM750
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell WFP 2407
    front and back can work with the scroll wheel.. something like

mouse.WheelUp = Wiimote1.RawForceX + 5
    mouse.WheelDown = wiimote1.RawForceX - 5

I could be wrong I need to setup my wiimote to my new comp to test it.

Thanks
    Interactivity is easily getting better, I'm just not sure I can play my PC games with this remote. It's good people are creating better apps for it though

Thanks
    • Spitfire01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B75-G41
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 3770
      • Memory:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Coresair RM750
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell WFP 2407
    It is tricky using a wiimote+nunchuck playing games like HL2 and FEAR. quite funny though. Need to make my own IR sourse because having the wii on just to power soem LEDs is a bit of a waste of energy.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire01 View Post
    It is tricky using a wiimote+nunchuck playing games like HL2 and FEAR. quite funny though. Need to make my own IR sourse because having the wii on just to power soem LEDs is a bit of a waste of energy.
    naah, just imagine how much electricity the power led on your pc is using , and i would think that because of the physics of it, an IR led should need less energy than a led giving out visible light ... like, you know, energy is proportional to the frequency and stuff....

but anyway, i think that if you give up on the nunchuck and use your left hand like you would normally , i.e. on the keyboard, having your whole arm aiming for you should help you do better in terms of accuracy... im assuming that there is also a 'jerk' command like what he did in the video to jump? maybe if you could set up the driver to 'release' the mouse when you jerk it backwards , then 're-engage' the mouse when you jerk it forwards, so you move your hand in this kind of stabbing motion... something like picking up the mouse and putting it back in the middle when youve run out of space on your mousepad... but you'll definitely have to get over trying to use the wiimote like a gun or something, like you hold it beside you like slightly higher than where the mouse would be, rather than in front of you as if you are holding your tv remote

i think that these 'jerk commands' are gonna be the most useful when it comes to non-proportional control , i.e. things controlled by keystrokes, especially the non-movement actions that arent dealt with your left hand... you jerk it left and right to switch weapons, for instance

i hope that its actually possible to make commands that modify other commands in the drivers, something like what belkin did with their n50 and n52 controllers, where you can set one key on the controller aside that changes the function of the rest of the keys when you press on it, rather than directly giving a command in-game...
    Last edited by carmatic; 30-07-2007 at 01:49 AM.

Thanks
    • Spitfire01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B75-G41
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 3770
      • Memory:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Coresair RM750
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell WFP 2407
    IR leds have amuch lower frequency and think about it the wii uses I tihnk 8 LEDs set up like this /||\ I'd only use maybe 6 max maybe 4. and dis-engaging it for motions might work but would require a button being held down anyway..to the best of my knowledge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information