• XFX 7900GTX
      • PSU:
      • 500W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Dell
    Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    i dont know how slaughterhouses are, but im pretty sure in europe the animals are killed humanely. watch the video and you'll see how they kill them. the guy guts a live one while it struggles and you see a gush of blood rush out. watch the video and you'll see. plus this is mass killing of the dolphins. sure in slaughterhouses they kill alot too but it isnt as barbaric. i dont support fox hunting too. any harm to animals is bad. insects are a different kind of species.
    Maybe they are more humanely killed, but they are killed and that in itself is barbaric enough for me I'm not watching the video, I'd be sick or something. Don't want those images in my head for the rest of my life. Maybe insects are a different kind of species, but I can't help that I think they deserve to live as much as any human.

NOT Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by htid View Post
    Maybe they are more humanely killed, but they are killed and that in itself is barbaric enough for me I'm not watching the video, I'd be sick or something. Don't want those images in my head for the rest of my life. Maybe insects are a different kind of species, but I can't help that I think they deserve to live as much as any human.
    true, but slaughtering animals to eat dates back so long ago that we just cant stop it i guess. as for insects, im not saying they should die, but ones that are pests should be controlled. survival of the fittest, mosquitos spread disease, we have a reason to kill them. stuff like that. also lemme ask you one thing. are you a vegetarian?

Thanks
    • htid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 180gb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GTX
      • PSU:
      • 500W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Dell
    Indeed I am. I guess you have a point about killing insects...but still I can't control that I care lol. As for the people killing the dolphins, maybe they see no harm. I was on ogrish and there was a video (which I didn';t watch) of some Chinese guys skinning a dog alive and beating it to death with clubs, I assume they thought there was nothing wrong with that...different cultures and all that, they've grown up with that sort of treatment to animals and are probably desensitised to violence and barbarity like that.

NOT Banned
    Thanks
    Indeed I am. I guess you have a point about killing insects...but still I can't control that I care lol. As for the people killing the dolphins, maybe they see no harm. I was on ogrish and there was a video (which I didn';t watch) of some Chinese guys skinning a dog alive and beating it to death with clubs, I assume they thought there was nothing wrong with that...different cultures and all that, they've grown up with that sort of treatment to animals and are probably desensitised to violence and barbarity like that.
    ugh, ogrish. i should never have looked at that sight. but it is in human nature to be curious about such stuff. as for skinning the dog, that is disgusting. dog is meant to be mans best friend. but over there they eat dogs so i guess its normal for them.

Thanks
    The worlds 3rd most intelligent species killing the worlds 2nd most intelligent.

Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    Before I start, I'd like to make it clear that I don't in any way support the kind of killing shown in the video, nor would I ever knowingly eat dolphin meat (or whale, for that matter). I only buy line-caught tuna.

However, I'd be very interested to know how many of the people expressing utter outrage in this thread eat, for example, KFC on a regular/semi-regular basis? Because intensive poultry rearing is IMO far more cruel overall than capturing some animals who up until that point have lived a happy and free life in the wild, and then killing them slowly and inefficiently. 90% or more of the chicken meat consumed in this country is 'intensively reared'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_agriculture

What that means in practice is that chicks are hatched, transported to the factory farms in giant crates, then spat out from a big machine like little fluffy seeds onto the floor of a giant shed where they'll spend the rest of their short lives. Once there, they simply stand still and eat a contantly drip-fed grain mash until they're so obese they can barely stand up- it's easy to go into any supermarket and find hock burns on many of their 'fresh' chickens. I'll post the following link, even though it's from a vegetarian organisation, because I've read it through and I can't find anything wrong with it:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/broiler.html

So- are you going to get outraged about the killing of a few thousand dolphins, or are you going to get outraged about the suffering of the literally hundreds of millions of chickens that die in our own country each year?

I'm not making this up. I'm a commited carnivore, but nowadays I only buy organic chicken, even though it's frighteningly expensive. Same goes for pork, pigs being the other widely abused animal in this country.

If you want to make a real difference to animal welfare, I'd suggest that not buying any more factory farmed chicken or pork is going to make more of a difference than signing a petition against the Japanese government about dolphin killing. What that means in practice is that your sunday bird is going to cost you £8 instead of £3. So do you mean it? Do you? Really?

Thanks
    I see nothing wrong with killing them for food, granted it should be more humane though. But hell if its tasty, eat it.

Thanks
    • htid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 180gb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GTX
      • PSU:
      • 500W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Dell
    @ Rave..

Exactly what I wanted to say but thought I'd get flamed because I'm vegetarian...but since you brought it up, I'll wholeheartedly agree.

Thanks
    @ Rave..

Exactly what I wanted to say but thought I'd get flamed because I'm vegetarian...but since you brought it up, I'll wholeheartedly agree.
    Humans, like chimpanzees, are omnivores. It's been suggested, although not proven, that it was our prehistoric ancestors' ability to catch and eat other animals that led to the very rapid development of our abnormally large brains (by the standards of other animals).

As a purely random example, there are tribes in the wilds of Ethiopia who keep herds of cattle. Every day, they'll choose one, shoot an arrow into its neck, and drink a couple of litres of its blood, thereby providing a valuable source of vitamins and protein for the whole tribe. The cows don't run away, even though they're not constrained by any kind of fence. Domestication of animals, and eating them for meat, is a two way street, and by the large I think (IMO with good reason) that the animals have been happy to co-operate- they may die a bit sooner and get eaten, but they don't have to spend the rest of their lives fending off truly vicious predators like wolves, because their human 'masters' do it for them. That's why I have never had a problem with being an omnivore. You clearly do have problem, hence your vegetarianism, but I hope you'll see that my omnivorism is well considered, and not simply based on the 'well I'm alright jack' principle.

To me, factory farming is a perversion of this age old relationship between man and beast, and a cruel one. Hunting, in it's simplest sense, fits in fine with my worldview, which is why I'd happliy eat a rabbit that I'd shot or a fish I'd caught on a line. Factory hunting as shown in the video- or even dragnet fishing, currently decimating fish stocks around the world- does not.

Thanks
    im sort of with Rave too on this one. and im an omnivore

NOT Banned
    Thanks
    i rarely have a kfc. junk food is rare for me. last time I visited pizza hut with my family was when i was 12, yes 7 years ago, mc donalds was last year in america, same for burger king, and kfc was only last september. thats how big the gaps are between when I eat junk food. at home its rice and vegetables. most of the junk food i eat at home is chips/waffles/smilies.

Thanks
    • BlackDwarf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz w/ Corsair H100i
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Samsung 850 EVO, 60Gb Crucial M4 & 2TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 550W Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 540 Air
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 24" Dell U2314H
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fiber 80Mb/20Mb
    Rave, I have to agree with you.

A previous girlfriend of mine's father owned a Meat Company. We went on a trip to France, mainly because he was meeting this guy about the possibility of getting a chicken slaughterhouse over there.

I of course, went in with him. It was quite a sight. One that will unfortunately be in my mind forever. There is no real way to easily kill chickens on that scale, without being inhumane to some extent. And bear in mind the company is very much into the good treatment for animals. Saying that however, doesn't matter how well they are reared if they're all killed in the same way.

I still love a nice bit of chicken breast meat though

I think the main difference is that Dolphins are incredibly intelligent. Chickens, Sheep, Cows.... Really, really aren't. That doesn't mean they should be treated any differently, but as I saw that video, it might as well have been a fisherman killing a man.
    Diablo (Main PC): Corsair Air 540; Gigabyte Z77-D3H; i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz; 16Gb Corsair Vengeance PC3-12000; 120Gb Samsung 840 EVO; EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid; 2x Dell U2414H; Windows 10 x64.
    Imperius (VM Server): 2x Intel 5640, 64Gb RAM, 2x1Tb, 6x Intel NIC, VMware ESX 5.5
    Tyrael (File Server): Synology DS410 w/ 4x HD154UI; 2Gb RAM; DSM 5.2

Thanks
    • htid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 180gb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GTX
      • PSU:
      • 500W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Dell
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    You clearly do have problem, hence your vegetarianism, but I hope you'll see that my omnivorism is well considered, and not simply based on the 'well I'm alright jack' principle.
    I do see what you mean and that we are generally omnivores, but still I disagree of course. I just think that any killing of animals is as bad as the dolphin thing or the factory farmed chickens. We established long ago in another thread that I care more about animals than humans, which probably explains my opinion, but I can't control that I think that way and can't control that I think eating meat is barbaric. I know we've been killing animals for food for centuries...we were also living in huts and wearing animal skins as clothes for many centuries and we don't any more, I personally feel we have evolved past needing to kill them to survive, but if you (and many others) don't then fair enough, I'm not going to argue because I know I'm going against human nature, but still, I don't agree.

Thanks
    I can understand the controlled and humane fishing of dolphins and indeed whales but this practice is completely unacceptable.

So I signed it, and yes i did watch the video
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    why are they making a pertition to the prime minister of japan as unboubtably he doesnt care what other ppl think only his country, ppl need to put more pressure on EU to stop killing like.
    Theres loads of other stuff like this that goes on, like killing elephants for ivory really is disgusting

Thanks
    I cant see a problem with eating dolphins over any other kind of animal. Where do you draw the line on intelligence? Pigs are apparently very intelligent, but they sure do taste good in sausages so we will allow that yeah!

In the UK you can get lots of Halal and kosher meat nowadays , they even sell it in tescos. How about finding a petition for that too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2977086.stm

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information