Thread: Callout and Sleep!

Thanks

Callout and Sleep!

Anyone else here work on an oncall basis?

I work on a 1 week in 4 basis, which I don't mind as it gives my liver a rest. I always sleep much lighter if I'm oncall as I am always conscious that the phone could ring at any time, but if I get called out and get home after midnight I can't get to sleep.

Got called yesterday at 17:30 and got home at 02:45 this morning, got in feeling tired, had a shower, got in bed and ping I was wide awake! In the end I had to get up as I started to get fidgety and woke the missus up.

Ironically since I limited my caffeine intake to no more than 3 cups a day and only in the morning, a couple of months ago my callout insomnia has got worse!

Admittedly tonight may have been stress / adrenaline as the fault I was working on could have potentialy reduced a certain mobile phone providers capacity by about 80% and I was under considerable pressure to get it fixed. But normally the stress level is reasonably low and I still can't sleep! If I do feel stressed in general I manage it with breathing / relaxation exercises.

Have tried herbal sleep aids with no success, I have stopped watching 2 hours of TV when I get in, I have stopped playing games, if I am hungry I only eat a light snack. I even tried taking sleeping pills that I got in the USA last year to make me sleep when flying as I hate flying, they got me to sleep but made me oversleep by about 3 hours. And I don't want to go down the prescription (or not) route as I don't consider this a healthy option.

On a normal night I get to sleep within about 15 minutes!

Arrrg!
    Beer is life, life is good!

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media
    may i suggest a large mallet. the missus could join in to
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

Thanks
    • Neo_VR's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI X48L2R
      • CPU:
      • QX9450@3.2gig
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x36gb raptors striped 640gb AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gainward 8800gt
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Liberty 600
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 22" wfp
      • Internet:
      • BT 8meg
    I think the problem you will have is that any "chemical" that is designed to make you sleep will send you into a deep sleep, not something you want to do when your on call..

I had problems sleeping about a month ago.. mainly due to work stress, i was only maybe dozing off at 5am, and had to get up again at qtr to 6.. this went on for about a week. i was getting more and more run down.

eventually i took the plunge and took some nytols.. boy it did the trick.. 12 hours straight.. and i felt terrible the next day.

In that case i think just breaking the cycle of not sleeping sorted me out.. but theres a million things that can effect someones sleep, from what they are thinking, to what they had to eat/drink that day.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    I do 2 weeks in every 4 on call, used to do 3 in 4

I find I don't have any problems unless I actually get a call, its the feeling when you try and go back to sleep that either your fix was not maybe 100% and/or the issue may re-occur that keeps me awake........or the occasional 4am call that ends in "sorry, I've just been silly, there isn't actually a problem"
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    I don't know about you, but I find that having a shower wakes me up. Maybe it's best to save it until the morning?

Thanks
    Sex just before you intend to get to sleep would be a good idea. Always makes me nod off anyway (to the annoyance of the missus!).

Thanks
    Extreme maybe, but get an aromatherapy session once a month - they'll take your symptoms and then you get a massage too. Boy will it knock you out. Also, will usual heal/cure/help whatever your ills are

Thread Information