• 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:
      • Orange Livebox Wireless ADSL - Sucks something rotten, and SFR Neuf box. Sucks less.

Serial killers and sick societies

I was reading about the Virginia Tech mass murderer and noticed a comment to the effect that the availability of weapons is not the issue, it is the lunatic who wants to kill people who is the issue.

This seems abundantly clear to me, given the complete lack of gun crime in Europe's most heavily-armed country, Switzerland. So I thought about how one could look at violent crime generally and see what there is that causes some killers to just go ape**** and start a murder spree. So I looked at serial killers.

Serial killers are usually sad losers like Seung-Hui Cho.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Many noted serial killers have had dysfunctional backgrounds. Frequently they were physically, sexually, or psychologically abused as children and there is often a correlation between their childhood abuse and their crimes.

Serial killers are specifically motivated by a variety of psychological urges, primarily power and sexual compulsion. They often have feelings of inadequacy and worthlessness, sometimes owing to humiliation and abuse in childhood and/or the pressures of poverty and low socioeconomic status in adulthood, and their crimes compensate for this and provide a sense of potency and often revenge, by giving them a feeling of power, both at the time of the actual killing and afterwards. The knowledge that their actions terrify entire communities and often baffle police adds to this sense of power. This motivational aspect separates them from contract killers and other multiple murderers who are motivated by profit. For example, in Scotland during the 1820s, William Burke and William Hare murdered people in what became known as the "Case of the Body Snatchers." They would not count as serial killers by most criminologists' definitions, however, because their motive was primarily economic.
    So I would say that these guys are a pretty good indicator of the mental health of a country. If you are breeding lots of serial killers you have a country that is abusing many of it's children in one way or another. You can point to kids like the young Jeffrey Dahmer and say that the had a normal upbringing, and I would agree, that guy just seems to have been born bad, but the majority of serial killers seem to be pushed that way.

So. We all know that America leads the world in, like so many things, serial killers. I did a little superficial research and I found that America has had a plethora of serial killers, but it's a big country, it will have. Breaking down the list of serial killers by country taking only the bigger numbers and mapping to population gives a league table.

Unsurprisingly the US tops the world with a fabulous 93 either convicted or at liberty, Britain comes second with a still impressive 31 and Australia is third with 16.

But it's when you look at the ratio of killers per head of population that it gets interesting.

Here's the table sorted by number of serial killers per head:

No. of killers___Pop’n_______People/Killer

Australia

16__________20,434,176__________1,277,136

UK

31__________60,776,238__________1,960,524

USA

93__________301,139,947__________3,238,064

Canada

8__________33,390,141__________4,173,768

Poland

6__________38,518,241__________6,419,707

Germany

10__________82,400,996__________8,240,100

France

7__________63,713,926__________9,101,989

So the Aussies take the lead, Britain is second and America is third.

I cannot speak for Australia, I have never been there and the numbers are inflated by a gang of 6 that perpetrated the Snowtown Murders, but the gang was really led by only one traditional serial killer so we could realistically drop Australia's count to 11, which still leaves them in the lead, but not far above Britain.

However, I have to say that Britain's serial killer success story doesn't surprise me. It is a dreadful place and there is a grimness about it that makes it unsurprising that so many of it's denizens want to kill people.

I realise that the numbers alone leave little to discuss. So Britain is a more serial killer-rich country than the USA, big deal.

I am interested, though, by who is surprised. I am not, but I'll bet a lot of you thought that the good ol' US of A would win.

Secondly, I think it is a significant indicator of a nation's collective mental health. This seems to make a sort of sense, in that a country that breeds a lot of serial killers would, one feels, have to have something wrong in it's national pyche, but it's nothing I could prove or even argue. I just don't have any evidence.

You can dispute the details, some of these murders go back 500 years (Gilles de Rais, France), but the overall picture doesn't change much. Britain is a sicker society than the USA.

Does anyone think I am wrong?
    Last edited by Brucelles; 08-05-2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Because it's people per killer, not killers per person.

(Thanks Evilmunky)
    Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet intakes.

Amateur photographer Hans Voralberg's Avatar
    Thanks
    I wouldnt conclude that our society is sicker base on just that
    Primary kit:
    Fuji S5 Pro - Nikkor AF 50/1.8 - Nikkor AF 85/1.8
    Epson RD-1

Film Kit:
    Leica M3 - Summicron 50/2 DR - Zeiss ZM 25/2.8 - M-Rokkor 40/2

Olympus OM2n - Zuiko 50/2 Macro - Zuiko 50/1.4 - Zuiko 35/2.8

Thanks
    You can't base an assumption that Britain is a sicker society than the USA on that.......

However, I have to say that Britain's serial killer success story doesn't surprise me. It is a dreadful place and there is a grimness about it that makes it unsurprising that so many of it's denizens want to kill people.
    Do you want to flesh that out a bit? Actually don't bother, I'm not even going to bother reading your answer if you do! I find that statement quite insulting mate and quite worrying. "Success story"?? What gives you the right to make a stark generalisation like that based on 0.000051% of the population (based on todays population figures, if you compound the figures over the 500 years you suggest then this percentages becomes even tinyer!)

Britain, Grim and dreadful? Pardon? I guess the rest of the world has gold paved streets and 0% unemployment then?

I could go on picking your narrow minded generalisations to pieces, but I have got better things to do. Suffice to say, your maths is flawed, your arguments are unfounded and shocking generalisations don't go down well with me!
    Last edited by jamin; 08-05-2007 at 11:27 AM.
    Beer is life, life is good!

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+
    ...noticed a comment to the effect that the availability of weapons is not the issue, it is the lunatic who wants to kill people who is the issue.
    Well yeah, but if the guy only had access to a cheese knife, massacreing a load of college kids would have been a tad more difficult.

Those figures presuppose that murders have been assigned correctly to a specific killer though too. You may find that somewhat inaccurate.

Human rights abuse and physical / sexual abuse probably is far more widespread in places like Africa and the poorer countries in Asia - did you manage to get any figures for there?

I'm not sure I'd classify Seung-Hui Cho as a serial killer. He had a one off killing spree then killed himself. My understanding of serial killers is that they usually have some sort of cooling off period between murders?

Finally I reckon:

It is a dreadful place and there is a grimness about it that makes it unsurprising that so many of it's denizens want to kill people.
    and

Britain is a sicker society than the USA.
    Are vaguely insulting, especially coming from a Beligian

Thanks
    I think that people blame the "its to easy to get a gun" act to much.

If i wanted to i could get a gun within this week probably, i think its alot down to possibly some music that heightens the gang culture in usa which imo is much larger than here.

In the usa each part of the country has a very large and substantial gang, that commit murders, and this is then glorified through music and film, so people see it as cool.

Trenchcoat mafia, they didnt probably just think up to do something like that without watching possibly films.. reinacting something..
    Where as here in the uk, we have a murder problem and a drugs problem, but the gang side of it isnt really glorified and tellyvised as much as in usa, in some music from london it is, but the amount of people in this country that listen to that is small when compaired to the amount of americans that listen to gang rap music or w/e.
    Also as said dude who shot up the uni wasn't a serial killer by nature i dont think, by default yes as he killed 30 odd people, but as said a serial killer in my book is someone who commits a murder then plans their next one trying not to kill themselves or get found out..

but i think its pretty hard to stop the odd person like Korean dude coming out of the woodwork as when that train of thought is on your mind i doubt theres much that can change it, knowing your going to be all over the news and what not and having your final way is sweet for some people.

Also as said i don't class the uk as a dreadful place in the slightest, sure i wouldn't wanna be in some parts of it at certain times, but generally the country is strong, and a good place to live and educate hence the amount of foreigners sending their kids to our uni`s *cough*

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    The stats aren't even close to being right, you need to take into account over what time period those figures occur over. Incidents per year per population would be much more appropriate to start with.

If 1 person becomes a serial killer in a small country this sways your whole set of stats as well.

You really need to pay attention to some "random" element to the stats to rebias the whole chance accurance of someone losing the plot that badly that they go and kill a lot of people.

If you really were doing this scientifically you'd need to take into so many more factors. Making assumptions based on the most broad things doesn't bring any useful conclusions.

TiG

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucelles View Post
    I was reading about the Virginia Tech mass murderer ...blah blah blah...
    Leaving aside the apparent inability of the OP to distinguish between a spree killer and a serial killer, given that he apparently feels that Britain is "...a dreadful place and there is a grimness about it that makes it unsurprising that so many of it's denizens want to kill people." then I fervently hope that he does himself and us a favour and stays in Belgium.

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC
    In america serial killers kill a lot more people than here...

AFAIK McDonalds has killed 1000s in America

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    noticed a comment to the effect that the availability of weapons is not the issue, it is the lunatic who wants to kill people who is the issue.
    "Guns don't kill people - people kill people" ?

So I would say that these guys are a pretty good indicator of the mental health of a country.
    I would say it's a pretty good indicator of the mental health of the perpetrators. The mental health of a country is far too general and vague a conclusion based on your superficial research.

I don't deny that are more than a few places less than desirable, but there's not been anything I've seen that will incite someone to go on a spree. We have unwelcoming weather for tourists....thats about it - plenty other places have it far worse. I'd say we don't do too badly for ourselves given our land mass and detachment from the continent.

To answer your 1st question:
    I am interested, though, by who is surprised.
    If the results went either way, I'm not. Hell, if the Americans place somewhere in these kind of statistics, we're bound to place somewhere near. Some people call us the 51st State....

To answer your second question:
    Britain is a sicker society than the USA.

Does anyone think I am wrong?
    Provisionally yes. You did say it was superficial research and that you are arguing a point that you cannot prove. Again, I'm not going to deny that Britain's not in perfect mental health, but few places (if any) are. Your argument pinpoints a nations state of mental health based on [documented] serial killer statistics alone.

I would read a properly researched article with no bias, but given the vast amount of variables to consider, research and write about (not to mention draw conclusions) I think you're better off going back to your day job.

Thanks
    • Brucelles's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • AMD A8-6600K APU
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 800
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb Samsung, 320 Gb no name I can recall, 500Gb Sandisk SDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY - XLR8 GeForce 8800GTS
      • PSU:
      • 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:
      • Orange Livebox Wireless ADSL - Sucks something rotten, and SFR Neuf box. Sucks less.
    Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Well yeah, but if the guy only had access to a cheese knife, massacreing a load of college kids would have been a tad more difficult.
    True. But having just left Switzerland I was struck by their totally different attitude to guns. Having a gun doesn't make you kill people, it just facilitates it.

Those figures presuppose that murders have been assigned correctly to a specific killer though too. You may find that somewhat inaccurate.
    True again, but the numbers are generally correct.

Human rights abuse and physical / sexual abuse probably is far more widespread in places like Africa and the poorer countries in Asia - did you manage to get any figures for there?
    I hoped you wouldn't spot that. No, really I have no basis apart from a gut feel that the presence of serial killers in a population is attributable to some characteristic of that nation.

I'm not sure I'd classify Seung-Hui Cho as a serial killer. He had a one off killing spree then killed himself. My understanding of serial killers is that they usually have some sort of cooling off period between murders?
    True, but I didn't count him, it was just that his name started me thinking.

Finally I reckon:

It is a dreadful place and there is a grimness about it that makes it unsurprising that so many of it's denizens want to kill people.

and
    Britain is a sicker society than the USA. [/quote]

Are vaguely insulting, especially coming from a Beligian [/QUOTE]

Actually I live in Belgium at the moment because I don't like Britain. I put my money where my mouth was.

nichomach

As I pointed out. I do know that Cho wasn't a serial killer. I also don't say that I researched this at all beyond some analysis of numbers. Obviously it's impossible to prove a link from a Wikipedia article and an Excel spreadsheet; it's just a hypothesis I was interested in hearing other opinions of.

And, yes; I fervently hope never to return to Britain too. Last time I lived there I had my car stolen 3 times in 3 years, trashed each time. My wife was sexually assaulted in Brighton station and the first thing my daughter saw whengetting out of East Croydon station on out return was a drunk on the pavement with his trousers round his ankles. I am still proud to be British, and love us as a nation, but I really don't like living there.

TiG those are all good points. And as I am merely amusing myself while I wait for the bank's end of day to run, I may try to dig out some dates. But you notice that I mentioned that particular weakness when I mentioned Gilles de Rais.

ACiD303 Same comment as above. I am actually at my day job, but bored witless and amusing myself harmlessly on the web of lies.

(Thanks Evilmunky)

Thanks
    Well you were plain unlucky then weren't you.

And you cant class the whole of the country to where you lived which was obviously a very bad area.

Same old story every country has its bad places, and they also have their good places.

Thanks
    • Brucelles's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • AMD A8-6600K APU
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 800
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by arbitor View Post
    but i think its pretty hard to stop the odd person like Korean dude coming out of the woodwork as when that train of thought is on your mind i doubt theres much that can change it, knowing your going to be all over the news and what not and having your final way is sweet for some people.
    I agree with you. I don't blame the availability of guns for these spree killings. Cho was a smart guy by all accounts and at uni and had internet access. If he had wanted to make a bomb and kill ten times as many he could have. I think guns are a danger when someone has access to one when a drunken argument goes out of control, not when a lunatic calmly decides to take as many as possible with him when he goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by arbitor View Post
    Also as said i don't class the uk as a dreadful place in the slightest, sure i wouldn't wanna be in some parts of it at certain times, but generally the country is strong, and a good place to live and educate hence the amount of foreigners sending their kids to our uni`s *cough*
    Yes. There are parts of the UK I love, York for instance, and the British are very special people (in a good way) but when I am there I have to work in London and that sucks. I have worked in Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Hong Kong, Iran (Tehran), Paris, Luxembourg, Zurich, Brussels, Dallas and London among others, and I would choose any of the others any day, but that’s my opinion based upon experience, I know others disagree.

I was being deliberately a bit provocative with that anti–UK stuff, but it’s true that standing on a packed tube to Heathrow from Victoria last December was the low point of my year; and I missed my flight back to Zurich.

And my daughter loves Kent university and Canterbury, so you can see I haven't infected her with my views.
    Last edited by Brucelles; 08-05-2007 at 01:44 PM.

(Thanks Evilmunky)

Thanks
    • Brucelles's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • AMD A8-6600K APU
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 800
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:
    Just to clarify, it was Sussex Square in Brighton, the posh part of town. But Brighton just wasn't good to us. As you say, just unlucky, but those things change the way you feel.

(Thanks Evilmunky)

Thanks
    Good to hear as where I am in Hampshire here i wouldn't want to live anywhere else atm, although i might be moving to surrey, but then again these are the two richest counties in the uk and most of it is very nice so my view is somewhat false no doubt.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+
    Would your wife + daughter prefer to live in Iran rather than the UK too? Unless you're all in a diplomatic enclosure I doubt it....

I don't think I could live in HK either. Appart from the fact that it's slowly being eaten up by China, it's waaaay too overcrowded for me.

Thanks
    • Brucelles's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-F2A78M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • AMD A8-6600K APU
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 800
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 550W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Zalman
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27C590H
      • Internet:
    Tehran is a great city if you know how to manage it, but the answer is that my daughter wouldn't know, being born in Bahrain after we left Iran and my wife isn't too keen on going back. We are probably going to Tanzania next.

(Thanks Evilmunky)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information