Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Married?

XTR
    Va-va-vooom
    Thanks

Getting Married?

I aint ........ yet

but if you are... do you know the costs involved?

The cost of the average wedding in 2003 is £61 per minute, and it adds up to a grand total of over £25,500.

http://money.msn.co.uk/life_events/g...st/default.asp

*Disclaimer* - The contents of this message are not necessarily my own opinions,thoughts or views... they may belong to the voices in my head!

You are feeling sleepy... acidrainy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Hmmm.... ain't the tradition for the Father of the Bride to cough up?

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    I think they over inflate the prices a tad, amybe average cost but not what average earner pays. Ours (2 years ago) cost about £3,000 all in. That was getting married in the Town catle, sit down 4 course meal for 50ish people, party for 100ish people and a night for me and misses in the hotel. Then 2 weeks holiday on Isle of Wight for £300.
    Flibb

Yes, for my sins I'm offically Zak33's *better* half... Sair33's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yeah. I'd say £3000 about right. There's a lot you can do yourself without spending too much. As soon as the word "Wedding" appears the price triples, but it is possible to avoid being ripped off!

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.... It was them that started me drinking.

Thanks
    For my wedding in 6.5 weeks, Here's my breakdown......
    Ceremony + afternoon reception for 75 guests = £3500
    Rings = £500
    Evening reception £1500
    Disco = £250
    Honeymoon = £3500
    Her Dress (+ shoes etc) = £1000
    Bridesmaids Dresses (+shoes etc) = £600
    Photographer = £400
    Flowers = £350

And thats just the main costs and we've hit over £11000 already!
    I'm sure there is plenty of costs that can be added to that, like my suit hire etc.

Wedding's aren't cheap thats for sure, and mine is a "relatively" small affair.

Thanks
    I got married at the beginning of July - including the Honeymoon - I would estimate around £7k all in - though we (my wife!!) did a lot of the decorations, invites etc at home, instead of buying bits ready made. Individually (of the small items), I think the cake was the most expensive, as it was a 'one off' - the shop even said if they were to do another, it would be double the price - I think ours was around the £475 mark - not bad when you consider the icing took in excess of 20 hours alone !! (hence why they wouldnt do another one for the price).
    We also saved a lot of money as we (ok, ok the wife) made all the dresses with the help of her Aunt - good to have friends in the fashion industry
    Last edited by IainB; 04-08-2003 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks
    Gettin married abroad seems to be cheaper tbh these days...

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    Think we were lucky that the venue was council run so that kept the cost down a lot. Also it was an afternoon bash so the evening bash ran on from the main bit and didnt cost any extra. My suit was £150 and the best man allready had 1, 1 bridesmaid she allready had sommit to wear. And father In Law put £300 down at the bar for booze, unfortunately I forgot to tell anybody apart from my best mates So they guzzled their way through most of it.
    Flibb

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Tbh, and i know this would never happen (bloody women) id rather spend £500 on getting married then £3k on the honeymoon for like a month away travelling! Spending a month with ur new wife rather than 1 expensive day seems more worth it imo.
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks
    Depends what you want I guess.... but I'd say it IS possible to spend what you CAN afford and still have a fantastic day

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.... It was them that started me drinking.

Thanks
    I work in a hotel and I'm basically in for the wedding parties.

Last time I checked the till for one it was £3500 for the dinner, party and the drink that was being paid for up front (ie. wine and toasts)

You can always tell thought if they have spent big on the day though. Just have a quick scan over everyones dress and then you can work it out.

Thanks
    My wedding was around £750, registry office, reception with buffet for 130 people, disco. My folks gave us two weeks in Greece as a wedding present so that sorted the honeymoon out too.

Best thing to do is ask around, there's always someone who knows someone else who can do a deal for you.

I don't reckon its how much you spend that makes a wedding, ut what you do and how you are when you're at the wedding.

My sisters, for example, was a lavish affair, horsedrawn carriage, hypocritical church service, marquee, sit down dinner, disco etc etc and I know the groom was so wound up over appearances he didnt enjoy himself at all. the only fun I had was lamping some idiot on the dance floor and watching me Dad get steadily more and more drunk.

Not worth the effort IMHO, just do what you want to do and enjoy yerselves!

btw, that £750 was for everything, license, flowers, gifts for the bridesmaids, cake etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    Getting married next year

My wife-to-be and I are getting married in our normal clothes. No suits/dresses or other fancy stuff (we both never wanted that).

Then a drink at the local and some grub for all who want to attend. That's it. Really simple.

Then we are flying out to spend 4 weeks in US, staying with friends

Just like Deckard, my sister and my brother have both had lavish "big do" weddings. It's just not our style, we would prefer to not spend so much on one day. We know we love each other, we are totally committed to each other and we don't feel we need a big wedding to prove it
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

Thanks
    Originally posted by Shorty
    We know we love each other, we are totally committed to each other and we don't feel we need a big wedding to prove it
    Ah sweet!!!!
    You're right to do that... nothing worse than feeling pressurised into doing something you don't want to do just because it's the "norm" to do it that way. Good for you!!!

Happy Now?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Shorty
    Getting married next year

My wife-to-be and I are getting married in our normal clothes. No suits/dresses or other fancy stuff (we both never wanted that).

Then a drink at the local and some grub for all who want to attend. That's it. Really simple.

Then we are flying out to spend 4 weeks in US, staying with friends
    Now that's a quality wedding! Good luck m8 Nothing better than spending time with friends and family (who get on) in a comfortable environment Then buggering off to the US for a month
    I dont like sig pics so i turn off sigs Which doesnt help when i dont know what ive written here! DOH!

Thanks

Re: Getting Married?

Originally posted by XTR

The cost of the average wedding in 2003 is £61 per minute, and it adds up to a grand total of over £25,500.
    you haven't factored in divorce settlements to that figure or am I just bitter??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information