Thread: Views and Thoughts on Multitouch and Alternatives

kag
    Registered+
    Thanks

Views and Thoughts on Multitouch and Alternatives

After watching Windows 7 Demo video, here are some things i thought off which hopefully someone would implement it or even make a software(freeware pls) for it if it isn't patented hopefully. >.<

I feel multitouch although is a great feature but it would not appeal to the low level consumers.
    Multitouch isn't a feature meant for long usage as you have to move your hands around a lot.
    Not the most energy efficient way to use for the whole day to get work done.

This is my alternative which i think could be easily implemented at least for most laptops.
    I would like to talk about the Fn Key on almost all laptops.
    Treat the Fn Key as such that it sort of becomes a touch whenever the cursor points.
    Some gesture examples:

Gesture 1(Zooming)
    Fn + Holding Right Click + Diagonal Motion
    Hold Right mouse button and move top left to zoom in and bottom right to zoom out. (I'm not sure if actually having a right click would be better since i'm used to firefox mouse gestures)

Gesture 2(Flicking)
    Fn + Mouse scroll up/down
    Maybe to minimize a window when cursor placed on the title bar
    And for fluid scrolling up and down

Gesture 3(Panning?)[Might not be as effective as you have to lift the mouse alot]
    Fn + Holding Right Click + Left and Right Motion[Maybe changed to scroll up and down but can cause confusion]
    Scrolling to pictures, maybe songs in media player

Gesture 4(Swapping)
    Fn + Holding and Releasing Left Click after the motion + Left and Right Motion
    Move Back and Forward for web browser and explorer
    Prev and Next Songs

What do all of you think?

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom

Re: Views and Thoughts on Multitouch and Alternatives

I think it's all bollocks. A complete gimmick. Multitouch has been around since the Bill Buxton started innovating back in the 1980s, and it's only now that computing power has made it accessible.

It's all about the software behind it, and until developers genuinely start to support the concept, it's not going anywhere fast. We'd have to switch to multitouch interfaces, completely redesign work areas, and switch digital process before anything like this takes off. You can see graphical developers jumping on it - which is funny, since it's such an apple product and Microsoft have jumped all over it.

As for your suggestions, they're workable. Could even be put into practise without too much hastle, but you're still looking for a level of standard adherance that isn't normal within the software developing industry.
    sig removed by Zak33

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

I'm sure multitouch has it's place but there's a reason that the design of the mouse hasn't significantly changed in the last 30 year.

It works. Really well.

When you start to think about the ergonomics of multitouch on a desktop scale it all starts to fall apart. Who wants a monitor right in front of your nose (close enough to comfortably touch for hours on end) and conversely who wants to stretch their arms out to operate a monitor a foot or more away? As IBM says, it's just a gimmick.
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

I think the complete opposite, and the optimist in me likes to believe that multitouch has loads of potential.

On the home desktop I'd agree with the above comments, it's a bit of a gimmick. In other areas, though, it could be great.

At present, I use two systems most of the time; my desktop and my notebook. I wouldn't particularly want touch-functionality on either, though it could be interesting on a notebook.

What would be handy is other PCs around the house, wall-mounted systems that I can quickly touch to bring up mail or the web. On-screen keyboard to relieve clutter would be a big bonus, and it'd be a fully-featured OS in a convenient space. Would be handy in the kitchen.

Same goes for internet cafes or libraries, be handy to have a wall of 10 PCs where you just go up and touch to get what you need.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by Parm View Post
    What would be handy is other PCs around the house, wall-mounted systems that I can quickly touch to bring up mail or the web. On-screen keyboard to relieve clutter would be a big bonus, and it'd be a fully-featured OS in a convenient space. Would be handy in the kitchen.
    This is what i've been thinking as well. Hopefully with all the technology becoming more mainstream, the price premium you currently pay for touch screens will shrink or even disappear in some cases.

kag
    Registered+
    Thanks

Well hopefully in the future you will actually be holding the screen itself to your lap in your living room while still getting the big screen.
    Meaning a screen as your only input device, it would be something really nice to have for a media pc setup or a home control system.
    You can even switch off the screen so it becomes a huge multitouch pad and obvious you can have a onscreen keyboard when required.
    (I know it is sort of like a tablet, but a tablet is heavy to carry around your house and tend to generate lots of heat)

The real advantage is a ability to switch purpose, like becoming an electronic keyboard on screen or becoming a online chess game or even with your friend or maybe a home security and power management control and of course mobility.
    The major disadvantage is the lack of feedback, a really long lasting battery that doesn't weight a ton(Fuel cell pls >.<) and the requirement for wifi input devices (Would be nice to have a wifi HID standardisation [Imagine the screen as your DVD/TV/Light/Power Switches/Phone remote control]).
    And of course webcams and speakers will all get integrated.
    But if it happens, it would probably cause an arm or a leg at first until the day PC starts integrating to everyone's living room.

Not really related to multitouch feature, but it would surely be a small push to the future of our homes.
    It does have a great future for leisure and special purpose but nothing beats keyboard and mouse for office work.
    Last edited by kag; 30-10-2008 at 12:03 PM.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

multitouch, why is crap is simple, its the same 'problem' i have with my tablet pc.

My arm isn't transparent.

Simple, that's why it sucks.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom

Transparent arms!!! Now there's a product I could get excited about.

[/deadpan]
    sig removed by Zak33

Thread Information