Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: books...

Herr Doktor Oetker, ja!!! pollaxe's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: books...

I'm afraid I tried Robert Jordan and once I came across 'trollocs' I laughed out loud. From then on I had a mental block and gave up. I do occasionally still shout trollocs, though, so it wasn't entirely wasted. Some good friends of mine are passionate fans of the Wheel of Time series but not me.

I'm not an admirer of overblown American fantasy, Book 15 of the Cobblerarium etc. Having a background in history has also made me extremely critical of writing and art in fantasy settings in particular. I find I look at book covers and think, 'Hmm, how could they bend at the middle in that armour?' and 'Grr, why do they write 'fire' whenever someone shoots an arrow..?' and so on.)

Of course Saracen's caveats are worth taking on board but as we're recommending books on personal experience then I'm going to list some. The Da Vinci Code was a rip-roaring read but I found the technique of ending each chapter on a cliff-hanger a little artificial and once I noticed it, I struggled a bit. I'm a big re-reader, most of my copies get read multiple times over the years and I tend to have at least three books on the go at once but I've never re-read Mr Brown's book.

There are too many I love to list but ones I would mention would be:
    Fantasy/Historical
    Ash: A Secret History - Mary Gentle.
    1610: Sundial in a Grave - Mary Gentle.
    Anything by Peter Morwood (particularly The Horse Lord series and the Prince Ivan series.)
    Anything by Sharon Penman (a bit romantic at times, but good otherwise.)
    Anything by Bernard Cornwell, particularly his Arthur series (simply some of the best stories I've ever read) and Sharpe of course. I like his historical stuff (Azincourt was my most recent read) but feel the Arthur and Sharpe books are the strongest.
    Anno Dracula and The Bloody Red Baron by Kim Newman.
    Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit (of course!) I could never get into The Silmarillion or his other works, I'm afraid though.
    Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials series.

Military/Thrillers
    Anything by Duncan Falconer (pseudonym of an ex-SBS man.)
    Eye of the Storm - Peter Ratcliffe (ex-RSM of 22 SAS and a far more believable read than most of the other memoirs out there.)

Erk, running out of time (work!) anything by Bill Bryson and How to be a (bad) Birdwatcher by Simon Barnes.

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable

Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    That's exactly what i was going to say

I recently read this, absolute genius - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Me-Cheeta-Au...0857283&sr=8-1

If you like your hardcore Sci-fi, Dan Simmons Hyperion is a must.

Love Bill Bryson stuff too.
    Thanks for the heads up on the Me Cheeta book, think I will give that a shot, sound interesting enough

Also check out Douglas Coupland:

Generation X
    Microserfs
    jPod
    The Gum Thief
    Eleanor Rigby
    Hey Nostradamus!

To name a few of his.

The only other book I can think of right now would be Neuromancer (released in 1984 and first coined the phrase cyberspace and essentially predicted the internet) by William Gibson. Great Sci-Fi book and the follow up to it Count Zero and then the third in the trilogy The Mona Lisa Overdrive best of all they aren't linked as one long story but the themes and certain characters come back in other books etc. The only other book of his I have read would be his latest one called Pattern Recognition.
    Last edited by Grey M@a; 28-04-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by pollaxe View Post
    Of course Saracen's caveats are worth taking on board but as we're recommending books on personal experience then I'm going to list some. The Da Vinci Code was a rip-roaring read but I found the technique of ending each chapter on a cliff-hanger a little artificial and once I noticed it, I struggled a bit. I'm a big re-reader, most of my copies get read multiple times over the years and I tend to have at least three books on the go at once but I've never re-read Mr Brown's book.
    I can't forgive Dan Brown for Digital Foretress. Where a massive computer melts as opposed to just crashing due to overheating, or the fact it was designed without any kind of thermal self protection at all amazed me. Pretty much gave up after that. And if you don't get sucked into the constant cliff hangers of The Davinci Code, it's a terrible book.

Just my opinion of course

Thanks
    • Zadock's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Corsair Vengeance 8Gb (1600Mhz)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 500GB HD501LJ Spinpoint T, SATA300, 7200 rpm
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX HD6950 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520W HX Series Modular Powersupply
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 HP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 27" LED
      • Internet:
      • BT

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    Dune
    Everytime I read it I pick up on something new.
    +1

Dedicated to ecologists everywhere or the like it says in the front, made me smile because I am one

I rather like Clive Barker particularly: Cabal (on which the film Night Breed is based), Mr Begone (very funny), The Great and Secret Show (and the sequel Everville, which I am yet to read but if its anything like the great and secret show it will be quite epic).

Matty, if you like the game The Witcher two of Spakowski's books about the Witcher are now available in English. "The Last Wish" (a collection of short stories that kind of re-counted whilst Geralt is recovering from the injury he sustained from the Striga, see the intro video to the game she gets him at the end) and "The blood of the Elves" - first proper book, the character of alvin in the game is inspired somewhat by the character of Ciri in this one. I've read both and they are a good read, quite short but very clever and often very funny.

System 1: Case: Antec 900 Motherboard: Asus Z77 CPU: Core i5 3570K @3.4GHz RAM:8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz GFX: XFX AMD Radeon 6950 2Gb (Cayman) HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 500GB O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

System 2: Lenovo Ideapad S205: AMD E350 APU (1.6Ghz), 2Gb 1066Mhz DDR3, Radeon HD6310 (integrated), 250Gb HDD, Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium

System 3:Asus Eee 901: 12Gb Ubuntu 10.10 Gnome Desktop edition

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:

How could I forget this:

Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers. Bloody good Russian Sci-Fi if anything it's almost like they seconded guessed the Chernobyl incident (loosely I will add as this book is more about the after affects if such an accident would happen) and also it's a massive influence on the STALKER games

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grey M@a View Post
    How could I forget this:

Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers. Bloody good Russian Sci-Fi if anything it's almost like they seconded guessed the Chernobyl incident (loosely I will add as this book is more about the after affects if such an accident would happen) and also it's a massive influence on the STALKER games
    That's a good suggestion, think I'll order that now actually. I really like the movie Stalker, which is based on this, and through which it influences the STALKER games. Which I really like too .

OK, in a similar vein then I'm first to recommend Stanislaw Lem - collections of short stories like Mortal Engines or the Cyberiad might be a better place to start than Solaris (not that I've read Solaris yet...but I like the original movie...). The Cyberiad in particular is almost like a children's book....but a book for robot children in a universe where all intelligence is artificial.

Not many autobiographies yet...I recommend Robert Mason's Chickenhawk to the Bravo Two Zero lot above (or anyone interested in helicopters - it's about his time flying choppers in 'Nam) and Papillon by Henri Charriere (the definitive ripping yarn, and amazingly it's true).

Speaking of ripping yarns, someone recommended me The Count of Monte Christo and I really enjoyed it. And since that's a classic, I'll just go nuclear and recommend Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky, which is surprisingly accessible given it's about the most illuminating novel on the human condition that mankind will ever produce.

I've started re-reading 1984 since posting here yesterday, and I'll re-recommend it again because it's even better than I remembered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Thanks
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by mediaboy View Post
    Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - by Douglas Adams.
    Inheritance Series by Christopher Paolini

Those ones by Hicks that are kicking around in his siggy. If it is hicks. I might have it wrong. Run a forum search
    Would this be the guy you are talking about?

http://forums.hexus.net/members/bluecube.html

Has two books which were given away free but you can make a donation if you wish. I read the first one and it was very good, need to start the second one. I have said before that these should of been snapped up by a publisher but for some reason Bluecube isn't having much luck Well worth the read.

8. Received thanks from:

mediaboy (28-04-2009)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Whiternoise View Post
    Iain M Banks (Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, Excession, Feersum Endjinn, et al)
    Although if your only just into reading, stay clear of Feersum Endjinn for now It can be a very hard read.

But otherwise, Iain M Banks books are awesome.

My person favourite though is the Necroscope series of books by Brian Lumley. Bit of a horror-fantasy-SciFi crossover.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    For instance, if you're after an entertaining read rather than a literary masterpiece, give something like the DaVinca Code a try. Because you might enjoy it. I certainly did.
    Well, assuming you mean the Da Vinci Code, that's the worst advice in human history. I mean, it's Heat magazine in book form. Hyped up complete tosh, for the very, very, very easily pleased to slowly die while reading.

Everything by Dan 'American Person' Brown is pretty bad, but there are limits.

DO NOT waste your time with this book, consider watching Trisha instead, you'll get the same level of interaction, and watching Trisha is deeply less humiliating than reading this school girl nonsense.

11. Received thanks from:

JPreston (28-04-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tzarbo View Post
    Well, assuming you mean the Da Vinci Code, that's the worst advice in human history. I mean, it's Heat magazine in book form. Hyped up complete tosh, for the very, very, very easily pleased to slowly die while reading.

DO NOT waste your time with this book, consider watching Trisha instead, you'll get the same level of interaction, and watching Trisha is deeply less humiliating than reading this school girl nonsense.
    It's easy to be a critic Tzarbo, but could you write a book like the Da Vinci Code?

Well, the answer is obviously 'Yes - anyone with a reading age above 9 could'. The problem is that there would be no market for such a book, because all the people who will only ever read one book in their lives have already read that book, and that book was the Da Vinci Code.

Have some Stewart Lee on the subject

I bet you're a big Harry Potter fan too...

(BTW that post earns my first thanks, ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Quote Originally Posted by Tzarbo View Post

While it isn't the earth shattering read it was hyped to be when it was released it's not that bad a book in my opinion, it's the kind of book I'd buy if I'd got nothing to read on a long journey to be fair because it's still entertaining even if it does lack substance, Tom Clancys books are very similar in my opinion, amazing literary works they aren't but they keep you entertained well enough that you keep reading.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JPreston View Post
    Is that the 'the famous man looked at the red cup' line?

I bet you're a big Harry Potter fan too...
    Nothing specifically against Harry and his average chums going about their predictable adventures... I've never bothered to read one though.

It's just strange how people these days act as if JK invented childrens books, and before Potter there were no great books for kids to read. Roald Dahl was writing books far more magical and engrossing decades before Potter.

James and the Giant Peach > Harry Potter and the Tree of Nothing.

(BTW that post earns my first thanks, ever)
    Oooh, you little tease.

One last thing, there is something lower than reading the Da Vinci Code and thinking it was a good book - reading the Da Vinci Code and thinking it's a true story.

Thanks
    • BigGlenn's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K
      • CPU:
      • E8400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Western Digital, 400GB + 500GB Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX560ti 2GB Twin Frozr II
      • PSU:
      • 500W Antec
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata III
      • Operating System:
      • XP
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2261V 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Zen

Like a lot of things... it all comes down to personal choice but here are a few other authors to throw into the mix

neonplanet40 mentioned Magician by Raymond Feist, personally I enjoyed that and have quite a few of his books
    If you enjoy that then you may want to consider books by David Eddings

Tom Clancy - eg Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger to name a couple of his books that were made into films, personally I prefer the books to the films

Clive Cussler
    Terry Goodkind

boop, got your nose
    Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

talking about the Da-Vinci code, we have 14 copies of it - which leads me onto my point..

if you're not sure what books you'll like, rather than paying full price or 3for2 price at tesco./asda/wherever then why not find an auction house that does house sale auctions. if you're lucky you will find a box or 5 full of books of all kinds and just pay £1 for the lot (its the reason my dad had 50,000 books last year). when you have finished reading them, just sell them on ebay or back at the auction, as long as you get more than a £1 back you would have read hundreds of books and made money in the process.

it will also help decide what kind of books take your fancy, but be warned, you will get hundreds of copies of 'mills & boon' and readers digest books. most of the books recommended by the other posters have been in these 'auction boxes' at one point.

you might even get lucky and find a rare book about todmorden that sells for £200

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Thats a good point Stevie. A guy I worked with only bought books in charity shops, because it was cheaper than the late fees when he kept forgetting to take books back to the library. Once he had read it, he'd just hand it back to the shop when getting some more. So it cost him about 50p for a few evenings entertainment.

Thanks

Something else I've recommended before is having a listen to BBC7, as they serialise some good stuff scifi/fantasy/classics etc & you might hear something you like & then follow the author up.
    Also I click along those 'people who bought this also liked' suggestions on Amazon (even if the titles aren't all obviously related to your original choice, it can take you off on some ok tangents sometimes.)

Thread Information