Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: European Elections, Thursday 4th June- Discuss

Thanks

European Elections, Thursday 4th June- Discuss

Everyone over the age of 18 gets a chance to vote in a few days.

So here's a little reminder of what you're voting for.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6384879.stm

Long story short: our Labour government totally cocked up the payment of EU subsidies to our farmers with the result that many went bust.

The EU, rather than saying "oh dear, what a cockup, we'd better help your farmers out some more", instead fined us about 350m Euros.

So Every British taxpayer has paid about £15 in fines while our farmers go bust.

Meanwhile the EU audit commission hasn't signed off their accounts for the last 8 years, because they don't add up.

I might come back when I'm sober to build on this. Meanwhile please hit google and DYOR about the system you're voting on in three days time. Frankly it makes me angry enough to spit.

And I don't know who to vote for anymore. If Cameron had called them out on it I'd vote Tory. But he hasn't.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Re: European Elections, Thursday 4th June- Discuss

Already (postal) voted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    Already (postal) voted.
    Same!! Although I found it a harder decision on who to vote for this time!!

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

Have to admit I have not DMOR on the subject and parties yet. I have no idea who is doing what. I'll make that Mondays job then, in between other bits.

Senior Lurker
    Thanks
    • Englander's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i5-6500
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk 128GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 530 Integrated Graphics
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 400W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 100R Silent Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2515H
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 38Mb/2Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post

So Every British taxpayer has paid about £15 in fines while our farmers go bust.
    To build on that point, I saw the other day on a UKIP poster (I'm aware it's probably not the most reliable source for information about the EU) that membership to the EU costs the country £40 million per day, which seems quite a lot to me. Still, I don't know how much is added to the economy by membership to the EU so that figure on it's own isn't entirely useful.

Unfortunately I'm only 17 so I won't be able to vote

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Englander View Post
    To build on that point, I saw the other day on a UKIP poster (I'm aware it's probably not the most reliable source for information about the EU) that membership to the EU costs the country £40 million per day, which seems quite a lot to me. Still, I don't know how much is added to the economy by membership to the EU so that figure on it's own isn't entirely useful.

Unfortunately I'm only 17 so I won't be able to vote
    It's not really that much money in my opinion, in the great scheme of things. It equates to about £15bn per year, but as you said it's no use just taking into consideration the costs, you've also got to consider the benefits.

To be honest, I don't understand all of this independence stuff. Britain hasn't been strong enough to go it alone since 1900, and I don't see what's suddenly changed in the last few years to our favour.

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Will they have some info about the candidates/parties at the polling station, because I haven't been following this one at all lol...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    It's not really that much money in my opinion, in the great scheme of things. It equates to about £15bn per year, but as you said it's no use just taking into consideration the costs, you've also got to consider the benefits.

To be honest, I don't understand all of this independence stuff. Britain hasn't been strong enough to go it alone since 1900, and I don't see what's suddenly changed in the last few years to our favour.
    I have never voted UKIP although i do agree with some of what they say!! The problem i have with the EU is that it is too intrusive in our affairs!! There are people in Strasbourg and Brussels who i have not voted for, and have no way of showing my anger when they **** up.

I don't like the fact that the EU:

1. Can screw our farmers and fisherman,
    2. The fact that the Human rights Act came from it (not against human right but its being miss used by prisoners and other idiots),
    3. This idea they have of a Euro defence force (as someone who is considering joining the forces the prospect of another Tony Blair in some Euro country, deciding when and where to send me is worse than allowing someone like Blair doing that here again!)
    4. Already mentioned the Human Rights Acts, but there are a number of other Act (won't go into massive detail) that affect all of us yet our elected representatives in Parliament have no say in those laws. Yes we have MEP's but when was the last time you saw them in your area, or for that matter know who they are???
    5. The fact that Europe is starting to look like a federal state is scary!! Europe can never work as some federal sate such as the USA. The USA started out early as a form of federal states and then moulded into what it is today. Now the countries that make up Europe can never and will never achieve that!! There is too much history, culture, languages, thoughts, and ways of governing. (My argument here is thin but that is deliberate as it would most probably bore most if i unleashed the full argument lol)
    6. Immigration is a big problem and has been made worse by the EU. Instead of trying to sort the problem before it gets to France or Britain its not stopped. Instead the French are reluctant to do much!! The movement of people laws are good but they need to reviewed!!

However, the one part of the EU that should be kept and expended is its trade areas!! As snootyjim says above Britain can not stand alone and succeed in tarde. Britain's factory base is near non existent compared to what it was! And so in that sense we do need to be part of the EU.

One last thing- cast your vote!! No matter what your feelings about the expense row here in the UK or that of MEP's, give your vote to some of the smaller party's who do need support.
    Last edited by AledJ; 01-06-2009 at 05:44 PM.

9. Received thanks from:

Englander (31-05-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SiM View Post
    Will they have some info about the candidates/parties at the polling station, because I haven't been following this one at all lol...
    Have a look at:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/elections2009/default.htm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8040446.stm

That was form a quick search on google. But to be honest most parties you see campaigning in local and general elections here, will also be running in these elections!

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

To be honest I just googled the candidates from the major parties, and the smaller ones who I was interested in. In the end I voted Green for a change. The guy seemed experienced, well balanced and I think we need someone who is going to speak up for sustainable ideas. The liberal democrats one seemed okay, Labour's just seemed typical labour fodder type and not strong-willed, the conservatives candidate just looked like a pompus idiot and someone I can imagine I had nothing in common with.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by AledJ View Post
    I have never voted UKIP although i do agree with some of what they say!! The problem i have with the EU is that it is too intrusive in our affairs!! There are people in Strasbourg and Brussels who i ahev not voted for, and have no way of showing my anger when they **** up.

I don't like the fact that the EU:

1. Can screw our farmers and fisherman,
    2. The fact that the Human rights Act came from it (not against human right but its being miss used by prisoners and other idiots),
    3. This idea they have of a Euro defence force (as someone who is considering joining the forces the prospect of another Tony Blair in some Euro country, deciding when and where to send me is worse than allowing someone like Blair doing that here again!)
    4. Already mentioned the Human Rights Act, but there are a number of other Act (won't go into massive detail) that affect all of us yet our elected representatives in Parliament have no say in those laws. Yes we have MEP's btu when was the last time you saw them in your area, or for that matter know who they are???
    5. The fact that Europe is starting to look like a federal state is scary!! Europe can never work as some federal sate such as the USA. The USA started out early as a form of federal states anf then moulded into what it is today. Now the countries that make up Europe can never and will never achieve that!! There is too much history, culture, languages, thoughts, and ways of governing. (My argument here is thin but that is deliberate as it would most probably bore most if i unleashed the full argument lol)
    6. Immigration is a big problem and has been made worse by the EU. Instead of trying to sort the problem before it gets to France or Britain its not stopped. Instead the French are reluctant to do much!! The movement of people laws are good but they need to reviewed!!

However, the one part of the EU that should be kept and expended is its trade areas!! As snootyjim says above Britain can not stand alone and succeed in tarde. Britain's factory base is near non existent compared to what it was! And so in that sense we do need to be part of the EU.

One last thing- cast your vote!! No matter what your feelings about the expense row here in the UK or that of MEP's, give your vote to some of the smaller party's who do need support.
    Have to admit, I'm not with you on point three, and I don't see anything wrong with the federal shift you mention in point 5. Also, that would sort out the problems of point 4. Regarding immigration, knowing that Britain does little to prevent it I think it's unfair to blame the EU. I'm not exactly a eurosceptic, I'll give it that

As I said, I don't think we can go it alone these days, and that's why we could benefit from tighter integration in Europe. There shouldn't be any need to sacrifice our culture etc in order to do so - it's all about moving forward carefully.

SiM
    Thanks
    • SiM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P5K Premium
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB PC2-6400 OCZ ReaperX + Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 3 x 320gb HD322HJ single platter in Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY GTX285
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX650W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2407-HC

Quote Originally Posted by AledJ View Post
    Have a look at:

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/elections2009/default.htm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8040446.stm

That was form a quick search on google. But to be honest most parties you see campaigning in local and general elections here, will also be running in these elections!
    I still don't understand... There are about 100 to choose from
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...873.stm#london
    Edit: OK, someone just tell me who to vote for. I haven't got the time to research

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

I've made my postal vote and they're paying me £130 on top of my regular wages to be a poll clerk for the day

Not to self: Must actually read the booklet they gave me about that before Thursday...
    ____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Emu76's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K-E:WIFI/AP
      • CPU:
      • E8400 @ 3.0GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB OCZ Reaper HPC edition PC2-6400 (800MHz)
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HIS ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Hiper 580W PSU
      • Case:
      • Apevia X-Jupiter
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2033BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin National 8MB broadband

OK, someone just tell me who to vote for. I haven't got the time to research
    Anyone but the BNP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Have to admit, I'm not with you on point three, and I don't see anything wrong with the federal shift you mention in point 5. Also, that would sort out the problems of point 4. Regarding immigration, knowing that Britain does little to prevent it I think it's unfair to blame the EU. I'm not exactly a eurosceptic, I'll give it that

As I said, I don't think we can go it alone these days, and that's why we could benefit from tighter integration in Europe. There shouldn't be any need to sacrifice our culture etc in order to do so - it's all about moving forward carefully.
    In relation to point 3 would you be ok with someone you don't know, have not voted them into power/or voted against them, and yet they are telling British forces what to do?!?!

To me that is a very scary prospect since within a year i'll be in training for the Royal Navy. At least with UK MP's I can have some say at an election. If have seen the bit of news about Spain laying claim to waters around Gibraltar (its arguing some that the water should be part of some environmental thing- and the EU has allowed it to) Now there has been a confrontation between the Royal Navy and the Spanish Navy. The Royal Navy turned the Spanish back and away from British territory waters. Now my point (other than the fact Spain are complete twits) is that if there was some EU defence force what would we do in similar situation???

How about the Falkland Islands??? Would an EU defence force be prepared to defened that British territory???

As for immigration, granted its not all the fault of the EU...................BUT it has played a big part in fuelling the problem!! For example the number of new member states which have added to our immigration problem here (i agree our government have been very slow to react) The EU should have put some restriction on the amount of people from those new members states, in order to give time to us and other to prepare! Then after a year or two those restriction would be lifted. Instead we had coaches waiting to bring the masses here.

The main point is that the EU has become too big!! It now has its tentacles in many parts of our lives which when i don't know who they are is worrying. It baffles me why Labour have signed over so much power?!?!? They don't seem to want preserve anything in this country.

Anyway, these are just my views and in no way diminish anyone else views.

Thanks

I still don't understand... There are about 100 to choose from
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...873.stm#london
    Edit: OK, someone just tell me who to vote for. I haven't got the time to research
    Allowing someone to cast your vote is just as bad as you not voting at all. If you are concerned about the environment and want more to be done about renewable energy then for for say the Green Party. Or if you want out of the EU then vote for likes of UKIP. But who ever you vote for make it your vote.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information