Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a little help and/or advice please

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks

a little help and/or advice please

Anyone know much about what to put in a letter to a company as a complaint about a product I'm not at all happy with? i.e. how to go about telling them in a way without resorting to 'your products are shoddy/cr*p/not worth spit etc. in my experience...'
    even better anyone know much about mountain bikes?

well, I got a new mountain bike a while ago and the suspension forks that came with it are, perhaps, one of the best available in the world. saddly in only 2weeks from buying them they broke - they have a feature on them that allows you to turn off their compressability through a 'lock-out' system that makes them like normal ridgid forks. I had them sent back for repair....
    now they are leaking oil and air (they use high pressure air as the spring rather than steel or titanium springs cause air is, well, firstly free and secondly loads lighter!) and I'm rightly peeved.

here's what I've written so far, don't worry too much about technicals just wondering if it seems reasonable:

On the 31st January 2004 I purchased a pair of Fox Racing Shox Float 80RLs as part of a complete bike, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (2002 model) from Evans Cycles Ltd., London. I am an endurance athlete with the intention of competing at elite level cross-country racing, so you may understand my frustration at the problems occurring and having to cut my rides short because of them.

Within 2 weeks of the date of purchase (for one of which I was unable to use the bike) the fork’s ‘Compression Lock-out system’ had developed a fault and was returned to Mojo Suspension to be repaired on the 17th February 2004 (the forks [and bike] were returned to me on the 19th February: a fast repair time for which I was very grateful).

Over the following weeks I became aware of an appreciable loss in performance as the forks seemed to be progressively ‘softer’ in their action, with an increase in the ‘sag’ beyond the limits I had set the fork to at an earlier date. I took some advice from the shop from where I purchased the forks and used a certified ‘Shock-pump’ to adjust the internal pressure to my riding style. Over the course of just one ride I noticed a marked loss in performance and with a loss of pressure in the region of 10-15psi. The loss in pressure was not incurred through removal of the shock-pump – as can sometimes be the case – as I double-checked the pressure prior to riding in light of this possibility.

Further to this I have also noticed a leakage of oil around the ‘Bottom Nut’ on the air shock/air piston side of the fork (i.e. not the lock-out side), which, despite wiping away, still persists and to my knowledge should not be present.

Having been repaired once, due to a fault after only such limited use, and continuing to develop further problems I am deeply unsatisfied with their poor performance. I find it unacceptable that a pair of forks, as highly regarded as these, should develop these problems so soon after purchase and through such limited use. They do not live up to the high standards I expected of Fox Forx, and from personal experience of Fox Racing products. I would not consider for one moment that I could have used them beyond their normal capacity, given my riding interests, and being relatively light (70kg/155lbs) I doubt that the forks ever came under any excessive stress beyond their tolerance limits.

Having experienced such problems you can understand that I am hesitant as to whether anything short of replacement will resolve the matter. Despite this fact though, I do have complete confidence that an acceptable and more than satisfactory solution can be found through replacement or a thorough repair, enabling me to fully enjoy a pair of Float 80RLs as intended and also restoring my confidence in Fox Racing Shox.

Yours sincerely
    moi...!

sound ok in terms of 'what's your game' and 'why should I put up with this?' type stuff?
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    Sounds good so far but if I were you I'd make it a bit meaner, and let them know your professional biking friends agree with you. They're more likely to sit up and take action if you do that.

Thanks
    Well written, seems like a very polite complaint to me, no sign of you getting pee'd off and emotional on them!

Thanks
    so what do you suggest I insert and where?
    something like; I am extremely upset at having to continually return to the shop due to a fault and to have them send away further reduces my confidence in such a highly rated productas this is not is what is to be expected of a fork worth in the region of £500 (yes they really are that much guys! thats how good they're meant to be)

my riding partners, with identical forks, have experienced no such issues and haven't had to 're-fill' their forks with air for a considerable period of time - perhaps since they purchased them over a year ago - and with considerably extensive use have suffered no ill effects what so ever and recommended I alert you to my suffering.

..hmm..maybe suffering too strong?...

I cried and cried for days when I realised that there's something wrong. how could you let this happen? I hate you, I never want to talk to you again!...

...no wait thats what the ex said. perhaps a bit over the top..!

Thanks
    p.s. there's me being too damn polite again!

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    Your first mail gets the point accross and well. Always try softly softly first then you can always resort to "stronger" language when you get an unsatisfactory response. Dont get aggressive at all, the proper response to the mail you drafted is : Extremely sorry our standard dropped on this "one" case replacement is on its way. Otherwise get medieval on their asses.
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Thanks
    Well for your first contact with them there is no need to get emotional.

Just state the facts as they have done and see what they say, if they brush you off, then you can get more 'passionate'.

What I would do is get a report from a tech at a bike shop to back up your claim. In fact, I am surprised the shop you got the bike from hasn't swapped out the fork already.

As to the forks, the air loss does sound like an out and out fault, the oil less so. A lot of MTB forks have a foam 'oil wiper' just under the seals proper, it's job is to keep the forks lightly lubed to prevent corrosion, which in turn can rag the proper seals.

Thanks
    bike shop being really annoying to be honest. they basically took the bike in over night when I first discovered the problem several weeks ago, said they'd pump the forks up to around 100psi (above their normal operating pressure) and see if any is lost over night. now, any idiot knows this is not the same as riding out on a trial where the forks are being actively compressed and extended, often rapidly in a very short space of time - as is their specificaltion and 'job description'. even so the next day I was told - nope, no problem, shut up and go away...i.e. problem not dealt with to my satisfaction. I go for a ride and air is lost. bunch of hairy *rses...

the oil coming out is not on any moving part but is coming out of the bottom of the fok's left leg - hence why i recon its not meant to, i'm fully aware that it might come out of the sliders as its meant to to ensure smooth action etc. but out of the bottom? surely not, as eventually I'd be left with no oil in the fork! [it would drip dry!]