• nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber

Exclamation Paypal phishing scam alert

Just received an email which on inspection is an attempt to capture Paypal login details from the unwary:
    Personal Account Identity Verification

We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your PayPal account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your account and of the PayPal network is our primary concern. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have temporarily limited access to sensitive PayPal account features.

To restore your account access, please take the following steps to ensure that your account has not been compromised:

1. Confirm your identity by completing the account verification process.

2. Click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page.You will be taken to the Data Security and Encryption page.

3. Login to your PayPal account and review your recent account history for any unauthorized payments sent or received, and check your account profile to make sure not changes have been made. If any unauthorized activity has taken place on your account, report this to PayPal immediately.

To get started, please click the link below:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=account-verification-run

For more information about how to protect your account, please visit PayPal's Security Center, accessible via the "Security Center" link located at the bottom of each page of the PayPal website.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your assistance in helping us maintain the integrity of the entire PayPal system. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Thank You,
    The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the "Help" link in the header of any page.
    The hyperlink source code actually points to:
    http://www.paypal.com%00@goodyes.com/abm/imgs/anim3/index.htm
    They are using images in the HTML email which reference the genuine www.paypal.com site.

This is exactly why I despise HTML as an email format, and it is also why I use a separate email address for my various online services - this one was addressed to my personal email address so I know it's not genuine.

FYI this is attempting to take advantage of a hole in IE which displays the URL in the browser only as far as the null code (%00) - it has been fixed (by removing support for "user:password@site" format URLs) so if you're up to date with Windows Updates then you should be okay.

Edit:
    Silly automatic URL parsing turned itself back on after preview, d'oh
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity
    Yeh, I have recieved that email twice, and I dont even have a paypal account!

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Another one, actually trying the tack of "due to the number of phishing scams, please authenticate your details at this site...":
    Account System Cleanup

IMPORTANT
    Dear PayPal Member,
    Due to overwhelming reports of fraudulent transactions and account abuse, PayPal now requires all active members who have an account to verify that they rightfully own it.

You must click the link below and enter your email, password and reference code on the following page to verify your account.

This is NOT a SCAM or HOAX. Please check your address bar to make sure you are on the authentic PayPal website.

https://www.paypal.com/accountcleanup/

Your reference code is : PPA-2546-5437

You will be guided through a series of steps which will require you to enter personal information, such as credit card number and/or bank details.

ALL accounts not re-verified within 5 days of receiving this email will be automatically frozen.

PayPal is doing this to protect it's valued members from fraud and scams. Paypal will not share your personal information with other companies and corporations. Privacy Policy

Thank you for your co-operation,
    PayPal

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. Due to security reasons your name and personal information cannot be mentioned in this email.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here.
    The paypal.com link actually points to:
    http://www.paypal.com%00@antispam.u26.smartwebinc.com/pp/index.htm
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thread Information