Thread: Jobserve job applications, chase them up if no reply ?

Thanks
    • Fatboy40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-E
      • CPU:
      • A64 X2 4200+ @ 2420 MHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB
      • Storage:
      • 200GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY 8800 GTS 320 - 648 ROP/1512 Shader/1053 Mem
      • PSU:
      • 400w Enermax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x86
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17" Acer Flat Screen

Jobserve job applications, chase them up if no reply ?

I'm starting to hot up my search for a new job as I'm going to be made redundant in the near future, and my preference is to use Jobserve for my searches.

Now a couple of years ago when I moved to my current job if you applied for a vacancy on Jobserve it seemed like agencies would call you within a couple of hours of application, now though even though I'm being very selective I hear very little or nothing back at all

Is this due to the current job market, are agencies receiving huge amounts of applications for each vacancy, or should I be actively chasing them post application ?.

Also what do others do here, do they use the application form on Jobserve's own website or e-mail the agency contact provided directly to make the application more personalised ?.

Ta
    I'm not fat and I'm not 40

Quote Originally Posted by JPreston View Post
    I'm pretty disappointed that in the 21st century so much human endeavour and industry is still devoted to ascertaining whose imaginary sky-fairy is best...

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Jobserve job applications, chase them up if no reply ?

Haven't used Jobserve, but most agencies are the same - Pretty damn useless.

If your CV hasn't got EVERY single skill they're looking for, don't expect a call back. So, spend time on your CV, making sure that it ticks their every box. Yes, it takes time, however, you end up with a far greater call back rate.

Thanks

I agree with the above. Try to make your CV relevant to each application, it will only take 15-30 minutes to do so but you will be giving yourself the best chance.

Just don't be put off by the lack of response and don't give up!

Good luck.

Thanks
    • Dingo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Kingston HyperX Blue
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force series 3 120GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 6850 OC Edition
      • PSU:
      • Akasa Vodoo 550W
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen

Any agency you chase online always has no time or patience with your enquiry!!.....why should they bother when, like most things, in this modern age,.......relationships, trust, and honesty are from a bygone era......screw the man before he screws you, make the most of the money etc, etc.....and who gives a s**t as long as we get paid...............an ugly, self serving Society.......but guess what, you (not necessarily you) voted for them for the last 13 years!!

Jay
    Thanks

You will find that a huge number of jobs advertised are fake and the agency is just farming for CVs.
    □ΞVΞ□

Thanks
    • Fatboy40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-E
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 2GB
      • Storage:
      • 200GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 400w Enermax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x86
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17" Acer Flat Screen

All pretty much what I expected guys... and Dingo, sounds like you had a very bad day before making that post !

My consultation period officialy started today, so I've effectively got six weeks until I'm made redundant (two weeks consultation pen pushing, then one months notice). I should get redundancy to cover me for two weeks after that, ouch (got wife, kids, mortage etc...).

I think I may find a forum that can help more on this topic but I'll ask here as well, I'm presuming that if an agency has two very similar candidates would they give preference to one who lives nearer to the location of the vacancy (I'd have to presume yes to that).

I'm pretty disappointed that in the 21st century so much human endeavour and industry is still devoted to ascertaining whose imaginary sky-fairy is best...

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

In which sector are you looking for work? IT?

my advice from my own personal experience is to follow steps along the lines of:

1) Get a good CV together - plenty of help on the web for this but basics are to avoid templates, avoid waffle, use bullet points and keep it to 2-3 pages depending on experience. It's not actually that critical yet as a good agency will tell you if it needs work, and will help you tailor it for their client.

2) Put that CV all over the internet on as many job sites as possible. Most enquiries I received came from people who had found my CV on Monster.co.uk, but add it to jobserve, fish4jobs, theitjobboard etc etc - as many as possible.

3) Apply for a few advertised jobs if you want to, but don't hold out too much hope as these jobs will get hundreds of applicants and you may well find yourself falling by the wayside.

4) Give it a few days and you should have agencies phoning you up with suitable positions, IF you put your CV about enough with enough detail. There is no harm at all in phoning agencies in the area you want to work in yourself either and offering your CV/asking about vacancies. The key there is to PHONE them - DON'T just email or you may well be ignored. Making a personal phone call will get you better results and it will be much quicker for you and the agency to figure out if they have any suitable positions.

Remember that they make their money out of you getting a job..so if they are any good then they will be helping you out..its in their best interest

8. Received thanks from:

Fatboy40 (29-06-2010)

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i8 8700K (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, SS 1TB, WD 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy40 View Post
    Now a couple of years ago when I moved to my current job if you applied for a vacancy on Jobserve it seemed like agencies would call you within a couple of hours of application, now though even though I'm being very selective I hear very little or nothing back at all

Is this due to the current job market, are agencies receiving huge amounts of applications for each vacancy, or should I be actively chasing them post application ?.

Also what do others do here, do they use the application form on Jobserve's own website or e-mail the agency contact provided directly to make the application more personalised ?.

Ta
    If your CV hits all the right notes then they will call you, especially if it’s a niche requirement. If it’s more general, or your CV isn’t tailored for their needs then they probably won’t call you, ever. There are a lot of job seekers at the moment so they will often pick the best 4-6 at most and ignore the rest (in round 1 anyway).

If you’re really keen you should absolutely call them, usually 1-2 hours after sending your CV, if not within 10-15 minutes. Sounds desperate? Maybe, but it also shows you’re keen. If they say they’ll call you back in 2 hours then make sure you call them once it hits 2hrs and 15 minutes if they haven’t contacted you first.

In regards to how application s are made, I use to do both but didn’t find one method to be any better than another.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy40 View Post
    I think I may find a forum that can help more on this topic but I'll ask here as well, I'm presuming that if an agency has two very similar candidates would they give preference to one who lives nearer to the location of the vacancy (I'd have to presume yes to that).
    For permanent jobs maybe. For contracts they will go with who is more likely to make them easy money, ie. The person who is available first and has more renewals (free money for them) under their belt.

10. Received thanks from:

Fatboy40 (29-06-2010)

Thanks
    • Bugbait's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z370 Auros Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • Intel i8 8700K (Watercooled)
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 4000Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, SS 1TB, WD 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-850 Platinum
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 900D (Dual D5 in series: 120.7 - EX360 + EX480) Noctua F & P12 Fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 31MU97
      • Internet:
      • VM Cable (100Meg)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    4) Give it a few days and you should have agencies phoning you up with suitable positions, IF you put your CV about enough with enough detail. There is no harm at all in phoning agencies in the area you want to work in yourself either and offering your CV/asking about vacancies. The key there is to PHONE them - DON'T just email or you may well be ignored. Making a personal phone call will get you better results and it will be much quicker for you and the agency to figure out if they have any suitable positions.
    For contracting, a few days is far too long. They’ll have the applicants done and dusted after a few days in most cases. I would advise calling them and “offering” to walk/talk them through your CV to up-sell yourself and make an impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Remember that they make their money out of you getting a job..so if they are any good then they will be helping you out..its in their best interest
    Yes, but most agents are selfish ingrates who want to maximise their income while putting in minimal effort. The only thing that’s in their best interest is to fill the role. At the end of the day they barely care about who it is. I’ve yet to meet an agent that I would rank above “kind of competent” and plenty that belong in the “so useless they should fire themselves” category.

Thanks
    • Fatboy40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-E
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 2GB
      • Storage:
      • 200GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • 400w Enermax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x86
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17" Acer Flat Screen

Spud1 and Bugbait, thanks for that, I think I need to be a little more direct but only if the vacancy is worth it.

Registered+
    Thanks

Mosts agencies just do a skills match and can't think outside the box.... CV has to match 100% and be with them ASAP

Thread Information