Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iPhone 5 announcement @ WWDC (?)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Re: iPhone 5 announcement @ WWDC (?)

I doubt we'll get an iPhone 5 this year - I think it's much more likely that we'll see an iPhone 4S - with a very small spec bump (possibly slightly larger screen, and faster CPU), and of course that hideous white option.

All the hardware leaks so far have shown that its going to look almost identical to the iPhone 4, and Apple do have a track record for doing this (with the 3G-3GS), however its not even likely to be that big of a jump imo.

Next year we'll get a real iPhone 5, hopefully with that funky in-screen solar panel tech that Apple patented a couple of years ago..smartphone with unlimited batter life (if you go outside)? That may even win over some of the true anti-apple-fanboys

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Next year we'll get a real iPhone 5, hopefully with that funky in-screen solar panel tech that Apple patented a couple of years ago..smartphone with unlimited batter life (if you go outside)? That may even win over some of the true anti-apple-fanboys
    I doubt it as the product is going to have some crappy features vs. other phones for the price.

It's a bloody expensive phone because you want the brand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usxhe190 View Post
    It's a bloody expensive phone because you want the brand.
    What a massive generalisation (oh, and it's also wrong) Yes the price is probably higher because of the 'brand' (and why shouldn't Apple do that? They're a business after all) but it doesn't mean buyers want that brand.

I'd want an iPhone for the features & the wealth of apps, I couldn't care less about the brand, infact I'd probably rather it not be made by Apple but rather HTC or someone but the simple fact is...it isn't, Apple make it therefore you have to buy from them if you want the 'package' it provides.

As for solar panels, that'd be awesome, didn't Samsung do that with an eco phone recently? Although it only gives a tiny amount of power, never mind the fact we live in the UK so it'd probably be useless except for 3 days in June
    They certainly don't innovate to that degreee, they leave that to other manufacturers then jump on the bandwagon after it has been proven to be wanted by the public. They do things like better than some others like styling & screen tech though, not technically that important I guess but most people will sacrifice some features for a nicer looking phone
    Last edited by Rob_B; 31-03-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    , I buy 6 months of internet at a time for £20, plus I top it up about a tenner every four months for the rare occasions I need to text or call people (my wife and all my close friends have either Android or Blackberry push email). So that's about £240 over two years. At the very least I'm saving over 400 quid by not having an iphone. And that's enough to pay for the very smart little laptop I'm typing this on.
    That's a good plan - who's it with ?
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    What a massive generalisation (oh, and it's also wrong) Yes the price is probably higher because of the 'brand' (and why shouldn't Apple do that? They're a business after all) but it doesn't mean buyers want that brand.

As for solar panels, that'd be awesome, didn't Samsung do that with an eco phone recently? Although it only gives a tiny amount of power, never mind the fact we live in the UK so it'd probably be useless except for 3 days in June
    They certainly don't innovate to that degreee, they leave that to other manufacturers then jump on the bandwagon after it has been proven to be wanted by the public. They do things like better than some others like styling & screen tech though, not technically that important I guess but most people will sacrifice some features for a nicer looking phone
    I guess I was wrong. Maybe it wasn't just the brand then. It's the "looks" as well. But then I think the other non Apple phones are pretty nice looking too. And so, my conclusion was, it was the brand you are paying the extra pounds for.

If they do solar, don't worry, you can bet that people will think they did it first. You will just know it will happen. And then when other people point it out that they are wrong, they will then say Apple just did it better than others which doesn't really make sense but doesn't matter.

Thanks

Looks are obviously down to personal taste, I really like the iPhone 4 though, very 'industrial' when it was leaked & people said it was too ugly for Apple I quite liked it

I don't think Apple will take any massive leap like solar for quite some time, it wasn't a success for Samsung (?) & can be handled with solar powered cases/chargers for now so I don't think there is any rush.

I'm unsure what the next step to iPhone '4GS' is, screen will stay the same as it's still really good, processor might wait until iPhone 5 to swap over to iPad 2 chips so it doesn't really leave much to change apart from battery/camera/some internal chip no-one will use like wireless payments.
    Mybe that's why they might not show one at WWDC & perhaps wait for the iPhone 5 this time?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Looks are obviously down to personal taste, I really like the iPhone 4 though, very 'industrial' when it was leaked & people said it was too ugly for Apple I quite liked it

I don't think Apple will take any massive leap like solar for quite some time, it wasn't a success for Samsung (?) & can be handled with solar powered cases/chargers for now so I don't think there is any rush.

I'm unsure what the next step to iPhone '4GS' is, screen will stay the same as it's still really good, processor might wait until iPhone 5 to swap over to iPad 2 chips so it doesn't really leave much to change apart from battery/camera/some internal chip no-one will use like wireless payments.
    Mybe that's why they might not show one at WWDC & perhaps wait for the iPhone 5 this time?
    Yea, if they dont update the styling, it will be just the battery, camera etc...sorta like the iPad 2 (which should be called iPad 1s or iPad 1). Guess they will wait till iPhone 5 to fix the reception issue too.

Checking the latest offerings with other brands, can't really see the worth of the extra expense of the iPhone 4.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    That's a good plan - who's it with ?
    T-Mobile PAYG. Apparently new users only get 500MB a month (I get 1.2GB) . However I don't think they charge if you go over, just cap you. I should probably be less of a tightwad and go on GiffGaffs £10 a month deal but I basically get by fine with just googlemail .

9. Received thanks from:

Phage (31-03-2011)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information