Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Injunctions, parliamentary privilege and reporting

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Injunctions, parliamentary privilege and reporting

But what about some kinds of privacy protection, bans on reporting on certain kinds of crime for the sake of a the victims?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • roachcoach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6X58D Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930 2.8G s1366. Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black, 4x 1 TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB XFX HD5850 BlackEd. 765MHz
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 950W CMPSU-950TXUK
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS MW221u

I wouldn't think those would fall in the "super" category, more the regular one no?

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by G4Z View Post
    Heh, and what does your old friend say about him these days then?
    As far as I know they're still seeing each other, and very happy about it - apart from the kitten-snatching incident, obviously

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

There are a number of interesting points here. I alluded to one earlier in this thread about rights and responsibilities.

Now in this case a 'celeb' requested an injunction to protect his privacy (a 'right' granted under the ECHR). The press don't like these injunctions, because for the red tops, salacious stories sell papers.

If a journalist did leak the information to twitter (which has not bee proven) then he deserves to be prosecuted for contempt of court as he is challenging the rule of law. (As those journalists who hacked into voice mail will be prosecuted)

Now what about the MP who claimed immunity?

IMHO that was an abuse of the privilege. He has the right to say what he likes within the precinct of Parliament without fear of prosecution, but he has a duty to use that right responsibly. Parliament are the law makers and should be seen to be upholding the law that parliament has made (or signed up to).

The moral difficulty comes when the injunction system is used to cover up some dubious legal or ethical activity (such as dumping toxic waste in Africa). Was the judicial process correct in granting an injunction in that case? Probably not, but how do you legislate or provide guidlines for the judiciary?

(Answers on a post card to the Attorney General)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • danroyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • N/A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 4720HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD +1tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce Gtx960m
      • PSU:
      • N/A
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    There are a number of interesting points here. I alluded to one earlier in this thread about rights and responsibilities.

Now in this case a 'celeb' requested an injunction to protect his privacy (a 'right' granted under the ECHR). The press don't like these injunctions, because for the red tops, salacious stories sell papers.

If a journalist did leak the information to twitter (which has not bee proven) then he deserves to be prosecuted for contempt of court as he is challenging the rule of law. (As those journalists who hacked into voice mail will be prosecuted)

IMHO that was an abuse of the privilege. He has the right to say what he likes within the precinct of Parliament without fear of prosecution, but he has a duty to use that right responsibly. Parliament are the law makers and should be seen to be upholding the law that parliament has made (or signed up to).

The moral difficulty comes when the injunction system is used to cover up some dubious legal or ethical activity (such as dumping toxic waste in Africa). Was the judicial process correct in granting an injunction in that case? Probably not, but how do you legislate or provide guidlines for the judiciary?

(Answers on a post card to the Attorney General)
    The mp is the one that should be punished the most he deliberately abused a power that was at his disposal,

Thanks
    • Nerval's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i5 760
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint F3 1GB x 2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Radeon 5570 Silent
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS 560KM Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design P3 Silver Arrow
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq BL2400PT VA Panel
      • Internet:
      • O2 LLU - 5 meg download

Quote Originally Posted by danroyle View Post
    The mp is the one that should be punished the most he deliberately abused a power that was at his disposal,
    from the BBC reports, other MPs think he was abusing the system too.

However, Giggs plays on his "family man" image, has his kids running round him etc, and makes endorsement cash on the back of it, so he shouldn't be allowed an injunction to cover it up.

If they don't want it to get out, they shouldn't do it.
    Can you just............................?

Thanks

[/SIZE]
    This is what the MPs are point is that they get to decide the law not the judges which in the case of the superjunctions this hasnt been the case

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I couldn't give a damn really, just as long as they don't feel the need to obscure half of the screen for a minute after every ad break during stargate again, just to let me know.....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcmiller View Post
    This is what the MPs are point is that they get to decide the law not the judges which in the case of the superjunctions this hasnt been the case
    MPs get to make the law, it is the Judiciary that implements it (under separation of powers). So if the MPs don't like they way the law they made has been implemented, they should change it, using due process.

The situation in this case is complicated because privacy has been enshrined in the EHCR, which a previous Parlisament endorsed. However it is now enshrined in British Law, and parliamentarians should be very careful before abusing their privilege in over-riding that law.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

MPs get to make the law, it is the Judiciary that implements it (under separation of powers). So if the MPs don't like they way the law they made has been implemented, they should change it, using due process.
    You're just being pedantic with my choice of words.

The MP s have said quite clearly that didn't make this law and that they think the judges have created a new law, not implemented a law. This is why so MPs, David C have been going on about it
    Last edited by mcmiller; 25-05-2011 at 12:08 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcmiller View Post
    You're just being pedantic with my choice of words.

The MP s have said quite clearly that didn't make this law and that they think the judges have created a new law, which isn't their remit. This is why so MPs, David C have been going on about it
    No, certainly not. There is Statute Law, and there is Case law. Case law is the result of decisions made by the Judiciary in the interpretation of statute.

And the separation of powers is an essential part of Government. There is the Executive body which formulates and proposes Policy and Law, the Legislative body (The Houses of Commons and Lords) which creates Law after due process, and the Judiciary which implements it. The Judiciary are indepentant of the other two bodies (and more so since the creation of the Supreme Court)

The difficulty here is that the statutary law is stated in the ECHR, and has been interpreted by the Judiciary in a way that is not to Parliament's liking.

This raises another point though in that European legislation is being incorporated into British Law, which some (and I think I would agree) is eroding British Sovereignty over its own Judicial process.

But leaving aside the European aspect, a process exists to protect the privacy of an individual. Should an MP disregard that law, even though the injunction has been pretty much rendered useless through other means?

As the law making body, I would say no, because to maintain the rule of law, the law makers should uphold it. The counter argument is that Mr Justice Eady should have bowed to the inevitable and lifted the injunction on application by the tabloid press. But that would also have brought the law into disrepute as it had been swayed by media pressure - which should not consider itself above the law.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • roachcoach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6X58D Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 930 2.8G s1366. Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x 1TB WD Caviar Black, 4x 1 TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB XFX HD5850 BlackEd. 765MHz
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 950W CMPSU-950TXUK
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Win7
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS MW221u

I think he used his immunity rightly, the situation for this particular injunction, at least to remain a "super" injunction was untenable. Everybody knew about it, everyone. I think this really turned the corner when the lawyers spoke to Twitter, there was probably a collective /facepalm in the tech world right about then.

The papers were in a ridiculous position not to be able to name someone/something already all over the internet, foreign media, indeed in a different part of the UK. The MP may have stuck two fingers up to that injunction, but that particular injunction in the "so-super-we-have-to-pretend-its-not-there" sense was beyond absurd.

I do think the judges are right to keep the media from reporting the story, what the point and who really cares, but I think it's silly to pretend the injunction isn't there any more.

Thanks
    • Mblaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS PK5 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25 SSD + WD 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207 (22" wide)
      • Internet:
      • Rubbish ADSL

Courtesy of B3ta
    I don't mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am so that's the way it comes out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information