• Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Militant secularisation

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    I keep seeing these two blokes in a large black car. I'm so suggestible.

You wan't to buy CAT-THE-FIFTH a Xeon E3-1230!

2. Received thanks from:

format (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Shouldn't that be flashing ?
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

Shouldn't that be flashing ?
    no, family forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

5. Received thanks from:

Phage (14-02-2012)

Thanks

I will be open here and state that I am coming to the place where I believe that in the not too distant future it will, practically speaking, be illegal to be a Christian. It wont be the outlawing of Christianity per se, but it will be the outlawing of things so that Christians will not have freedom of conscience.

Perhaps the closest parallel I think of would be the Roman Empire where 'freedom of religion' existed, as long as you performed the required Emperor worship. Fail to do that and you were in trouble.

Laws are in motion moving towards the government regulation of speech and practise of religion - saying what you can or cannot say (offensive speech laws) and saying who you can or cannot or must hire, and what you must or must not do in your own building.

Christian opinion and doctrine will become illegal and the practise of the faith outlawed if you fail to tow the line.

Those who are praising militant secularism should be careful. While you're on the top all is fine, but when the militant, totalitarian boot comes down on you, it's a different story.

What you are seeing is a death of religious freedom and freedom of expression and belief and democracy.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/cr...-british-mind/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...s-threat-trigg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...rder-act/print

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15811223

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...e-bishops.html
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

7. Received thanks from:

fuddam (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

Secularism, in the day to day life's of people with many different even contradictory beliefs is the art of compromise and in a good compromise every one is a little disappointed. No-one gets everything they want. I could easily make exactly the point you just made but from the militant theism perspective, religious schools, bishops in the house of commons, tax breaks etc and claim that a militant theocratic boot was about to come down, but it's not.

The government obsession with trying to control speech, well offence and positive discrimination I agree with you on however. The right to free speech is the right to offend and no matter what word you put in front of it, discrimination is discrimination it's negative effects are felt just as keenly regardless of the direction you take it or how you apply it.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chuckskull View Post
    Secularism, in the day to day life's of people with many different even contradictory beliefs is the art of compromise and in a good compromise every one is a little disappointed. No-one gets everything they want. .
    Sure they do..

people still get the basics they lust for ,the chance for sex, drugs , more money , fame , sport , video games that keep them attached and hooked to doing the same ol habits like a monkey,as long as these things exist in one form or another people will put up with anything , as is the case now for the majority .

They even did a study to prove peoples happiness adjust to their level of suffering , and the reason for that is because their not even aware of it to start with , other than few minutes of outrage - its forgotten and accepted , as " life " while they slave on and trade in their freedoom for less and less.

m
    Last edited by melon; 14-02-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    What you are seeing is a death of religious freedom and freedom of expression and belief and democracy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15811223
    Oh dear, people can't treat gay people differently because of their religious believes, how AWFUL.

If your argument for religion is so that someone can discriminate on the expressed sexual preferences of someone then I mean this, I hope every ounce of that religion is removed. How can you say its anything other than pure evil?

Two people in a civil partnership are not allowed a to share a bed, because they are both of the same gender?

Or is it OK to discriminate on such things? What about if they'd been black, or Jewish?

The idea that someone should be allowed to discriminate, because, and lets be clear on this, of something which has no evidence for its being, is shocking. How would that be any better than if I wrote a book called the Church of the People I Hate, and then claimed that I wouldn't allow short people, or the welsh in my shop?

This is why, I really do think we need to remove all public funding for any kind of religion, remove charitable status, the state funding of religious schools etc. I'd argue the legal protection for someone to pratice a faith is fine and dandy, they just shouldn't be encouraged in anyway, and if they start expressing views with anything based on "mah bible says so" then we should be able to publicly ridicule them in the exact same way people do the Flat Earth Society.

Ask yourself, do you want to live in a world were people are tolerant of someone else's choices, choices which have no impact on themselves or not?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Ask yourself, do you want to live in a world were people are tolerant of someone else's choices, choices which have no impact on themselves or not?
    This isn't my thread so I'm not going to reopen the debate on homosexuality again. I will provide an answer with two points.

First of all, in response to your question, yes I do - that's exactly the point. People are always going to disagree on something, they should be allowed to do so without being arrested or fined. The two men were free to move on to somewhere else and with publicity the free market could speak if others wished to boycott their B&B.

The second point is to see how this applies to the specific issue of homosexuality. You see, you - and many others - compare homosexuality to being black or Jewish. The problem is that we're talking apples and oranges. Being gay is not like being black or being Jewish. The science of the matter is that homosexuality is not genetic in any way similar to how being black or Jewish is. Jewish people are born Jewish because they come from Jewish families. Black people are born black because their parents are black. In the case of a black and white couple the baby born would be lighter brown, however, if monozygotic twins were born they would both be the same colour. Gay parents - do not produce gay children - firstly because no gay couple has ever produced a child - and interestingly, in even monozygotic twins where one is gay, the other is often not.

The science so far shows that sexuality has some mild but undiscernable genetic influence but that environmental factors play a large and complex role too. I wont go on, I'll leave it there. Sexuality is not genetic in the way everyone usually talks of it.

Having said all this, the B&B owners' perspective (and the one posted on their website for 24 years - apparently) was that they do not issue beds to unmarried couples (of any sexuality).

Considering the science is so poorly understood, public opinion is so skewed, because we are considering all of this in the light of a couple rights to run their own business in their own home, and because they were in no way rude or abusive to the two gentlemen, I believe it is wrong they should be liable to being sued and then fined.

We have to find ways of living with different opinions and beliefs. Those two men could have and should have shrugged it off and gone on their way. Instead they brought court action to essentially force their own beliefs about a disputed subject upon a couple of different opinion.

So yes, you're right, I would like to live in a society of tolerance, not bullying.
    Last edited by Galant; 15-02-2012 at 04:28 PM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

12. Received thanks from:

fuddam (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

should have shrugged it off and gone on their way.
    No room at the inn, eh ?
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks

This isn't my thread so I'm not going to reopen the debate on homosexuality again. I will provide an answer with two points.

First of all, in response to your question, yes I do - that's exactly the point. People are always going to disagree on something, they should be allowed to do so without being arrested or fined. The two men were free to move on to somewhere else and with publicity the free market could speak if others wished to boycott their B&B.

The second point is to see how this applies to the specific issue of homosexuality. You see, you - and many others - compare homosexuality to being black or Jewish. The problem is that we're talking apples and oranges being gay is not like being gay or being Jewish. The science of the matter is that homosexuality is not genetic in any way similar to how being black or Jewish is. Jewish people are born Jewish because they come from Jewish families. Black people are born black because their parents are black. In the case of a black and white couple the baby born would be lighter brown, however, if monozygotic twins were born they would both be the same colour. Gay parents - do not produce gay children - firstly because no gay couple has ever produced a child - and interestingly, in even monozygotic twins where one is gay, the other is often not.
    Wow.

I'll be honest here, I think it will be hard for many tolerant people to read that and not think your a very bad person. You are using some predjudice towards someone. Ignoring the whole genetic / choice thing, for another time (there is an interesting body of evidence that suggest in sheep, its genetic, in sheep few people think of sex as recreation... its all about the farming, hence the value of such research) What would you say if I refused to serve people with body peircings, or those who wear a cross? It's their choice, I should be allowed to discriminate.

The question I ask, is what, what possible harm does having your hotel room been let to two gay people pose to you? How is it any of their business.

How would you feel if someone said "sorry this hotel isn't for your kind" or "you have to go to the other end of the bus" or "this drug isn't available to your kind" its just wrong, its not nice and its not needed. You claim you need religion for morals, or rather you've suggested before that without religion one can not be a moral person.

Just ask yourself as someone who said this:
    So yes, you're right, I would like to live in a society of tolerance, not bullying.
    What is bullying? I would suggest its singling people out for been differen't is one definition. Don't you think your a bully, don't you think your actively making the world a worse place, due to a belief system hidden in a collection of books from 2,000 years ago, when you'd stone people to death for things which todays society considers normal?

15. Received thanks from:

Phage (15-02-2012)

Thanks

No room at the inn, eh ?
    Careful now, its not as if scriptures tend to be quite contradictory and people pick and choose whichever ones serve their personal whim...

Tell me who in the Christian faith wears blended fabrics?.......

Thanks

How could we have morals without Religion!?!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-for-kiss.html

What could be more moral, I mean she chose to use her own body to kiss a man, who wasn't even the right colour or religion, what a bad choice.

Thanks

(there is an interesting body of evidence that suggest in sheep, its genetic, in sheep few people think of sex as recreation... its all about the farming, hence the value of such research)
    Wow indeed. I was referring to the genetics and studies of human beings (those being immediately relevant) and you mention the genetics of sheep?

What would you say if I refused to serve people with body peircings, or those who wear a cross? It's their choice, I should be allowed to discriminate.
    I would say that they, and you, should be allowed to discriminate on those grounds. Just like people discriminate on the basis of whether you're wearing a shirt or shoes. What we shouldn't do is have the society or crowds or the government lock people up or fine them because of those differences.

The question I ask, is what, what possible harm does having your hotel room been let to two gay people pose to you? How is it any of their business.
    Erm - it was their business. Their house, their B&B, their business. It's called freedom of conscience - that you cannot be forced to act against your conscience in matters of morality. How would you feel if someone else, the government forced you to do or support something you thought was wrong?

How would you feel if someone said "sorry this hotel isn't for your kind" or "you have to go to the other end of the bus" or "this drug isn't available to your kind" its just wrong, its not nice and its not needed.
    I don't think we should legislate based on feelings and whether something is perceived as 'nice' or not? The fact the UK government and others have been doing so is, I believe, a huge part of the problem.

What is bullying? I would suggest its singling people out for been differen't is one definition.
    I would suggest it might well be singling someone out and fining them because they don't believe what you believe - even if they have been perfectly polite about the whole thing.

Don't you think your a bully, don't you think your actively making the world a worse place, due to a belief system hidden in a collection of books from 2,000 years ago, when you'd stone people to death for things which todays society considers normal?
    No. I don't. Just because my belief system is old doesn't make it wrong. I have no intention of stoning anyone, nor would I. I'm sad you feel this way, but that isn't representative of my faith at all. The couple at the B&B didn't stone anyone. No-one is stoning anyone. Think about it. No-one is saying it or believing but you're claiming the whole Christian world wants to stone gay people. We don't. We aren't. We just see the issue of homosexuality as something different to the genetic equation it is often presented to be. I believe the science backs that position. Therefore I believe we should be entitled to hold our position as long as we do so peaceably and kindly and reasonably.
    Last edited by Galant; 15-02-2012 at 01:19 AM.

19. Received thanks from:

fuddam (15-02-2012)

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    But, if it's "supernatural", then by definition, there wouldn't be anything in nature supporting it, would there? That's kinda the point.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you but I admit the possibility I could be wrong. Not least, I could be wrong because what's needed to detect the "supernatural" is something we don't have naturally, and haven't yet invented.

For instance, x-rays exist, yes? And we can now both detect and generate them. But, until the last few decades, we had no idea they existed. Much the same applies to gamma radiation. We can infer the existence of gravity from experiment and theorise about how it works, but as I understand it, nobody has yet explained the mechanism.

Most of what we know "scientifically" has become known to us the what's little more than a blink of the eye in the evolution of humanity, and we're a relatively young species on a relatively young planet, in therms of the age of the universe.

We could, and I stress could be failing to detect the supernatural in the same way that Galileo failed to detect radio waves. They were there, but he had no idea what they were, or how to detect them. I don't believe, personally, that the "supernatural" exists in that way, but note I said "believe", not "know".

And has been known to be wrong in the past, and I'd bet will be found to be wrong on something else in the future, too. The whole point of science, surely, is to accumulate and assess evidence, to hypothesise based on experience and theorise, and test and experiment and revise, based on results. It isn't to presume to know the answer, just because you have no evidence, but to know what you don't know as well as what you do.

Sure, we have no (convincing at any rate) evidence that the supernatural exists .... and Galileo had no evidence of gamma rays either. Nor, in her early work, did Marie Curie, a mistake that (apparently) later killed her. And on that, we're talking about barely a 100 years ago.

Nobody said that. Or at least, I sure didn't. I said if people lived by those religious mandates, the world would be a better place. Sadly, most don't. Still, they're not a bad set of objectives to aim for, whether for religious reasons or not.
    But then the argument falls to balance of evidence. Dawkins, love or loathe him, has a good way of describing atheists vs theists on a sliding scale. 10 is an absolute atheist and 0 is an absolute theist. He puts himself as a 9, firmly believing that there is no God, but open to a proof.

X-rays and gamma rays are the same thing fundamentally (one can transform to the other under the Doppler shift, for instance). We hypothesise that there is something called a photon, regardless of how abstracted the notion is. We suggest that it can be in certain discrete energy levels and formulate a theory to predict them. Once we understand that within our theory, a photon has an energy that is variable, we can predict the effects of higher and lower energy photons. This predictive power has led to the exploitation of terahertz radiation recently.

Point being that science is tested, we make a prediction ideally in advance and then we try to disprove it. Once particle physics took off, some of the greatest results in scientific history were the advance prediction of certain particles that appeared right at the expected energy. We then use this as basis for believing in the theory.

The beauty of science is that as soon as you disprove something, the entire community - hundreds of millions of people - should immediately change their minds. And thus is the scientific method.

Religion offers no proofs by construction, it must be accepted on faith, this is fine, however a lot of what people believe in - the power of prayer, for example - simply doesn't hold up to scrutiny. People still believe in miracles, that visiting Lourdes will cure you of incurable diseases.

Not entirely on topic, but: http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScien...ityofWrong.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Galant
    I will be open here and state that I am coming to the place where I believe that in the not too distant future it will, practically speaking, be illegal to be a Christian. It wont be the outlawing of Christianity per se, but it will be the outlawing of things so that Christians will not have freedom of conscience.

Perhaps the closest parallel I think of would be the Roman Empire where 'freedom of religion' existed, as long as you performed the required Emperor worship. Fail to do that and you were in trouble.

Laws are in motion moving towards the government regulation of speech and practise of religion - saying what you can or cannot say (offensive speech laws) and saying who you can or cannot or must hire, and what you must or must not do in your own building.

Christian opinion and doctrine will become illegal and the practise of the faith outlawed if you fail to tow the line.

Those who are praising militant secularism should be careful. While you're on the top all is fine, but when the militant, totalitarian boot comes down on you, it's a different story.

The issue is not in religion itself, it's when religion has a discernible affect on a populous that, by and large, does not agree with it. Suppose 90% of the UK were atheist, is it fair then that the laws should be dictated by the remaining 10% who are Christian (or whatever faith)?

The point of a secular state is that religion should not play a part in lawmaking. By construction, secularism is unbiased by the entrapments of religion and therefore does not pander to anybody. You are free to practice whatever religion you feel like, so long as you don't try to force it on others without their consent. Similarly religious conviction would not be considered either a defence or a crime in a secular state, it is a completely separate matter. This is what the US was envisaged to be, by the founding fathers. Ironically countries with state religions tend to be more secular and countries with secular constitutions tend to be heavily religious.

And actually what is happening is the opposite. We are becoming more politically correct by the day and it's shooting religious people in the feet because we, as a society, are so loathe to offend. Far from being outlawed, religion will be so heavily tolerated that it becomes impossible to practice it.

21. Received thanks from:

format (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Warsi says the Catholic church was instrumental in "toppling communism" and "securing peace in Northern Ireland".

I'm actually astonished by this. Genuinely.

23. Received thanks from:

format (15-02-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

Wow.

I'll be honest here, I think it will be hard for many tolerant people to read that and not think your a very bad person. You are using some predjudice towards someone. Ignoring the whole genetic / choice thing, for another time (there is an interesting body of evidence that suggest in sheep, its genetic, in sheep few people think of sex as recreation... its all about the farming, hence the value of such research) What would you say if I refused to serve people with body peircings, or those who wear a cross? It's their choice, I should be allowed to discriminate.

How would you feel if someone said "sorry this hotel isn't for your kind" or "you have to go to the other end of the bus" or "this drug isn't available to your kind" its just wrong, its not nice and its not needed. You claim you need religion for morals, or rather you've suggested before that without religion one can not be a moral person.

Just ask yourself as someone who said this:What is bullying? I would suggest its singling people out for been differen't is one definition. Don't you think your a bully, don't you think your actively making the world a worse place, due to a belief system hidden in a collection of books from 2,000 years ago, when you'd stone people to death for things which todays society considers normal?
    The funny thing about all of this is Galants use of logic and reason rather than his religion to define his morality, it almost makes me wonder half the time if your trying to convince yourself more than us ( which is worrying for someone whose morality is based on faith )

The idea of love itself as I understand it is something " unconditional " ,so I find the idea of any one in touch with god using that to discriminate - and further encouraging it - pretty suspect to say the least .

Sure you can disagree , but why would you unless that person posed a threat to you - which of course takes us back to your faith ( that version of it ) and one of the many reasons why I personally mistrust it.

Separation in any language is not usually good, why do you think it refers to God / Jesus / Holy spirit being the one and the same ?

"As Above, So Below"

m
    Last edited by melon; 15-02-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information