Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy St. George's Day!

Thanks

Happy St. George's Day!

St. George's Day today! Historical controversy aside it brings up the question should we, and/or how should we, celebrate our 'nationalistic' holiday? It's not very PC these days but even though blind nationalism is foolish and all cultures aren't equal, nevertheless, I think all of us feel a sense of appreciation and attachment to certain good things we received from the places we grew up. They are things which we feel are attached to those cultures (although they may be found elsewhere), and which we mighty often look to as defining that culture. This applies to England just as much as anywhere else, so - all negativity aside - on this day - if you're English (or even if you're not) - what is it that you appreciate/love about England- and what does it mean to be English??

I've often tried to pin it down myself - because I felt there was something definite, and good, to be said about being English - and today, on the St. George's Day website, I found this which I think for me, sums up what I hadn't been able to before - the good ideals I feel I've been blessed with having grown up in England.

"In the year 1728 AD Maximilian II Emanuel, the Elector of Bavaria, established by Papal Bull The Royal Military Order of St George, as a means of honouring distinguished military service for it was clear that by this time, his name had become associated with the purity of spirit, selfless devotion to duty and boundless courage and valour in the face of adversity." (Emphasis my own)
    Last edited by Galant; 24-04-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Happy St. George's Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    St. George's Day today! Historical controversy aside it brings up the question should we, and/or how should we, celebrate our 'nationalistic' holiday? It's not very PC these days but even though blind nationalism is foolish and all cultures aren't equal, nevertheless, I think all of us feel a sense of appreciation and attachment to certain good things we received from the places we grew up. They are things which we feel are attached to those cultures (although they may be found elsewhere), and which we mighty often look to as defining that culture. This applies to England just as much as anywhere else, so - all negativity aside - on this day - if you're English (or even if you're not) - what is it that you appreciate/love about England- and what does it mean to be English??

I've often tried to pin it down myself - because I felt there was something definite, and good, to be said about being English
    Why the focus on English stuff? On St George's day shouldn't we also focus on Georgia, Eygpt, Bulgaria, Aragon, Catalonia, Romania, Ethiopia, Greece, India, Iraq, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Serbia, Ukraine and Russia?

Thanks

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Why does it have to be a special day to love or appreciate somethigng about the country you live in? Whether it be England, Egypt, Spain etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

Thanks

HEXUS.social member Disturbedguy's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Disturbedguy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rog Strix Z370-H Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair something or other
      • Storage:
      • 1 x Samsung 960 EVO (250GB) 1 x Samsung 850 EVO (500GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1080Ti
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32inch Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Use face palm images all you want.
    This just seems like another one of your threads that will be controversial to some people, then when they put there point across you will tell them that they clearly aren't reading what you are saying or linking to and will then tell them to read it properly etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It didn't fall off, it merely became insufficient at it's purpose and got a bit droopy...

7. Received thanks from:

MadduckUK (23-04-2012)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    Why does it have to be a special day to love or appreciate somethigng about the country you live in? Whether it be England, Egypt, Spain etc?
    There's no reason why anyone that feels like that they want to appreciate their country can't do so, but nor is there any reason why cannot or should not pick a day to celebrate it, if they wish. After all, most nations seem to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Why the focus on English stuff? On St George's day shouldn't we also focus on Georgia, Eygpt, Bulgaria, Aragon, Catalonia, Romania, Ethiopia, Greece, India, Iraq, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Serbia, Ukraine and Russia?
    Because it's an English national day, that happens to be named after St George. And that is simply about tradition.

Does it matter that St George apparently never set foot in the UK? Not to me, any more than, I'd rather suspect, he never actually slayed an actual dragon.

It's symbolism, it's tradition, and it's a celebration of Englishness by the English, just as St Andrew's and St David's are to the Scots and Welsh, respectively. It could equally well be another symbol that was used, like St Alban, or Shakespeare's birthday, or whatever, but it's been St George's day for a very long time.

And, in the UK as it is today, with a blend of people from all different backgrounds, and with a lot of those that have come to this country during their lifetimes being every bit as proud of being here as those that were born here (and more so, in some cases), why not use a symbol so widely appreciated throughout so much of the world? After all, St George is not just an important symbol in Christian belief, but in Islamic belief too. It's appropriate because it's nice and inclusive.

If people want to celebrate their national day using a symbol that's also significant to many other nations, where's the harm?

Personally, I don't celebrate it, and you won't catch me waving flags or with my face painted red and white, but if that's what rocks other's boat and makes them happy, why not?

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

There is one very good reason not to celebrate it, which I'm amazed hasn't been mentioned.

I saw some Morris Dancers when I was going to lunch today.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I saw some Morris Dancers when I was going to lunch today.

Gets coat\

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbedguy View Post
    This just seems like another one of your threads that will be controversial to some people, then when they put there point across you will tell them that they clearly aren't reading what you are saying or linking to and will then tell them to read it properly etc etc.
    spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB

Happy St Georges day all.

Going to pop over to Leadenhall Market after work for some quality Ales, have the usual events/celebrations going on...

http://squaremile.com/events/211/St-...d-Attempt.html

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Because it's an English national day, that happens to be named after St George. And that is simply about tradition.
    My point was that it's celebrated in several countries as well (the ones I listed), not for being English, but about St George.

It's symbolism, it's tradition, and it's a celebration of Englishness by the English
    And, in the UK as it is today, with a blend of people from all different backgrounds, and with a lot of those that have come to this country during their lifetimes being every bit as proud of being here as those that were born here (and more so, in some cases), why not use a symbol so widely appreciated throughout so much of the world? After all, St George is not just an important symbol in Christian belief, but in Islamic belief too. It's appropriate because it's nice and inclusive.
    It's appreciated certainly, but it's not appreciated/inclusive because of anything to do with Englishness.

Personally, I don't celebrate it, and you won't catch me waving flags or with my face painted red and white, but if that's what rocks other's boat and makes them happy, why not?
    Quite agree, just like we should be able to have a discussion on topic without someone posting random images that don't contribute anything positive. But how much better would it be if we celebrated something in common with other nations, ie, St George's patrotism, rather than Englishness?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    My point was that it's celebrated in several countries as well (the ones I listed), not for being English, but about St George.

It's appreciated certainly, but it's not appreciated/inclusive because of anything to do with Englishness.

Quite agree, just like we should be able to have a discussion on topic without someone posting random images that don't contribute anything positive. But how much better would it be if we celebrated something in common with other nations, ie, St George's patrotism, rather than Englishness?
    What does it matter what other countries celebrate about it? The fact that the English use it to celebrate an English national day doesn't stop others from celebrating whatever else they like with it.

Just because other nations see St George in other ways doesn't mean the English can't use it as a symbol of an English national day. It's about celebrating being English, and any reasonable and relevant symbol could be used to do that. Tradition just says it's St George.

This day is not about St George's patriotism. It's about an English day, just as so many other nations do, with one symbol or another.

If you either aren't English, or are but aren't interested in celebrating it (which describes me, by the way), then fine. But if people do want to celebrate being English (and clearly, many do) then ....

a) I see no problem with that, and
    b) they've been using St George as a symbol of that for a hell of a long time, so ....

.... what's the problem with that?

Thanks

After travelling a bit, one thing I found myself missing and that England does amazingly well:

Confectionery, biscuits and desserts in general:

http://www.stgeorgesday.com/all-thin...ipes/desserts/

I mean, Trifle, by itself, is culinary genius.
    Last edited by Galant; 23-04-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Trifle. Oh yuck. No thanks.

Custard, when hot, is okay, just about. When cold, it's a foul, slimy concoction.

Banned
    Thanks

After travelling a bit, one thing I found myself missing and that England does amazingly well:

Confectionery, biscuits and desserts in general:

http://www.stgeorgesday.com/all-thin...ipes/desserts/

What about spotted dick , or fish n chips ?

Breakfasts may not be healthy but bangers,bacon , black puddin and egg are still a nice treat . ( throw in hash browns , beans , ketchup t00 )

m

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information