Thread: New Mobile Phone

Registered+
    Thanks

New Mobile Phone

Imagine I have been on another planet for a year and know nothing about mobile phones over the last 12 months and you would be about right.

I have a sharp GX10 which I pre ordered theough vodaphone a year ago and my contract runs out at the end of september!

What would I expect to get for my phone when i sell it and what should I buy to replace it?
    I have bluetooth for my pc so that would be nice, but other than that I havent got a clue what is good out there at the moment or is there something worth waiting for?

stuart

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    one's in top nick seem to be going at around the £150 mark on ebay, is hard to believe they've been out a year already, you could get a GX20 for £160 as a replacement, i don't know how good they, or any of the lastest phones are though, as i've sill got a few more months left on my GX10 yet

Registered+
    Thanks
    Im fed up with mine... its too big and bulky... and the live thing never seems to work when i want it... and the photo quality is pants!

need something shiny and new

my gx10 has quite a few chips on it through a lot of use but the battery is still in amazing nick - I was guessing about £80 but if they are going for £150 then maybe I will ask £100

stu

Registered+
    Thanks
    nice amp by the way... Ive just picked up the 5300 for a decent price... very happy with it

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    you tend to get pretty good prices on ebay for mobile phones, so you could always put it on there. i know what you mean about the gx10 being bulky and mates taking pictures of themselves gets a little tedious after a while , definately something slim for me next time!

the 5300 is a very fine amp , deinfately can't do much better for the money, i'm very pleased with my marantz amp, what've you got yours hooked up to?

Registered+
    Thanks
    a 30" phillips lcd tv, playstation, shuttle, sky digital, vcr and a set of Maudant Short speakers

I have to say I am very impressed with it, and I just got a new ru950 pronto remote to make it easier for the missus to use

might take some pics at some point... what about you?

stu

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    Sony 29" FD Triniton WEGA TV
    Toshiba SD330E Multi-region DVD Player
    Marantz SR 6300
    6 x Mission m74i Speakers wired with QED Silver Anniversary Speaker Cable
    BK Electronics XLS 200 Subwoofer

i've got Sky Digital, a Gamecube and my PC hooked up as well. no wife though, so i'm stuck with 101 remote controls hopefully they will drop the £10 monthly subscription on Sky+ so i can get that too, i always forget to watch programmes i wanted to see i'm really impressed with the setup as a whole though, even if my neighbours might not be, crank it up on T2 or Star Wars and the difference some good quality surround sound makes to the whole movie experience is awesome, just need some more space to squeeze in a big screen projector now!

we've got a home entertainment forum btw, do take some pics and post them up there!

Registered+
    Thanks
    yeah I will take some pics this weekend if i get the chance.

I looked at the silver aniverasry speaker wire but didnt need it I thought, I was still shocked at spending over 100 quid on gale speaker wire .... I never knew how much the stuff cost until now, and interconnects are just as bad spent about £3.5k in the last month upgrading from my old goodmans tv

The only problem with my setup is that where my two sofas are means that i dont sit in the sweet spot, it does annoy me a little but then i bought the setup in the knowledge that I wont be living in this house forever where it is inpractical to sit in the centre of the room...... roll on a well paid job and new house!

stu

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    that's a lot of £££ on a tv !!

speaker wire is frigteningly expensive if you've got long runs to make, i couldn't force myself to buy banana plugs at £5 each as well (i'd need 36!! ), bare wire will have to do for now! interconnects aren't quite so bad if you shop around, a philex thor scart for £17.25 :- http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TR26481T.html, i've got to get myself a couple of those, and i got a profigold digital coaxial cable for £20, but it does all add up

i'm just waiting for the day when i can have my own dedicated home theatre room, then the serious upgrading begins! barco cine 9, meridian 800 series electronics, meridian DSP8000 speakers and a couple of SVS B4-Plus subs! sorry, i think i must be day dreaming again! i know the HT bug is going to force me to get them someday though!

Registered+
    Thanks
    I’m also looking to change my phone, have T68 at moment, good but text messaging is a little slow.

Depends if you want a camera or not. Personally I hate having a bulky phone. Nokia 6100 (102 x 44 x 13.5 mm) looks good and small, but no camera, 7250 (105 x 44 x 19mm) is small for one with a camera, main thing against it is it’s quite common. The 6800 (119 x 55 x 23 mm) and 3650 (130 x 57 x 26 mm) are to big IMO. 7210 (106 x 45 x 17.5 mm) is cheap, but more or less same size as 7250 but with no camera, so I can’t see what it is has going for it.

Samsung v200 (91x48x23mm) looks very good, it’s the one the rotating camera. Only thing is it’s not a Nokia and I like their text messaging because it super-quick. My T68 is slow and cannot keep up with me does anyone here have the v200? What’s the software like, esp. how fast is the text messaging?

I also have a bluetooth connectivity for my computer, so far the only phones that I’ve read have bluetooth are the huge Nokia 3650 and Siemens S55 (101 x 42 x 18 mm).

BTW, dunno what contract your are on, but o2 do and internet only deal where you can get 500 offpeak mins to landlines and o2, 50 anytime Xnet mins and 500 texts per month, for £20, not found a deal anywhere near as good as that (they do it o2.co.uk). Anyone know of a better contract?
    "Keyboard missing - press F3 to continue" Message seen on an Apricot PC.
    "To start press any key. Where's the any key?" Homer Simpson.
    Hexus Trust

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    could go for t610 but i hear screen is poo in day light which kind of defeats the object of it all - perhaps they'll bring out another like the t68i did ... a t610i?...