Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaffs of Olympic proportion

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Gaffs of Olympic proportion

Quote Originally Posted by santa claus View Post

I already pay tax and insurance on virtually every part of my life. At present I can cycle and fart without incurring a duty and I'd prefer it stays that way.
    At the same time? Is that to help climbing hills, or just a boost when overtaking?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

And every motorist that goes through....etc

Come on, it's that kind of entrenched view that is the threat to cyclists.
    True, and its not a serious suggestion, but how else do you ensure that cyclists obey the rules that apply to them?

I'd say a far greater number of motorists get punished for disobeying the rules, whilst cyclists freely flaunt them.

I already pay tax and insurance on virtually every part of my life. At present I can cycle and fart without incurring a duty and I'd prefer it stays that way.
    A cyclist/pedestrian tax seems fair though, since there would be a huge discount for the number of people involved, and you wouldnt have to ensure everyone had it, as they would automatically have it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    At the same time? Is that to help climbing hills, or just a boost when overtaking?
    All of the above

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    True, and its not a serious suggestion, but how else do you ensure that cyclists obey the rules that apply to them?

I'd say a far greater number of motorists get punished for disobeying the rules, whilst cyclists freely flaunt them.

A cyclist/pedestrian tax seems fair though, since there would be a huge discount for the number of people involved, and you wouldnt have to ensure everyone had it, as they would automatically have it.
    I agree that there may be a certain leniency toward cyclists not least because the decisions they take will put them at risk too. But your pov seems to be that of the embittered motorist envious of the two wheeled freedoms. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Cycling is gaining popularity by the day (and the Olympic results will help) it would be madness to stifle that enthusiasm. Fitter people are less of a drain on the NHS. A tax on overweight car drivers would generate more revenue and may encourage some of the lardy gits to use their legs once in a while.

Returning to the 'Gaffs' theme:

Jake Humphrey interviewing Mark Cavendish and gold medal winner, Geraint Thomas - "We'll hand you over to Sue for a bit 'cause me and Cav want our photo taken with that gold medal" The embarrassment on Cav's face was excruciating. I think the World Champion would prefer to be photographed with his own medal Jake which he will win at Rio.
    Last edited by santa claus; 04-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information