Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armstrong set to admit doping - allegedly

Thanks

Armstrong set to admit doping - allegedly

All signs are pointing to a full confession from Armstrong on Oprah Winfrey's chat show when it airs this Thursday.

This following an apology of some sort at the Livestrong Foundation and an anonymous tip saying that the Oprah show is recorded and he did indeed admit doping.

I think ambivalence is the word for me. I was still sort of hoping it would come out in a better light for him. Sad to hear the truth, and yet anger that someone could so ruthlessly deceive so many so deliberately and take in all the praise and respect that he received.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Armstrong set to admit doping - allegedly

He could have told the truth to the official sports body and subsequent investigations at least. Doing it on a prime time chat show is just cynical.

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

I wonder if he has assurances that people wont sue him if he admits?

Otherwise he`s going to be very broke and possibly very jailed.

The times have already said they`ll sue him if he admits to doping after damages they had to pay him for calling him a drugs cheat.

He`d lied under oath in the US regarding this as well..

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    All signs are pointing to a full confession from Armstrong on Oprah Winfrey's chat show when it airs this Thursday.

This following an apology of some sort at the Livestrong Foundation and an anonymous tip saying that the Oprah show is recorded and he did indeed admit doping.

I think ambivalence is the word for me. I was still sort of hoping it would come out in a better light for him. Sad to hear the truth, and yet anger that someone could so ruthlessly deceive so many so deliberately and take in all the praise and respect that he received.
    I'll preface my view with a caveat, which is that I haven't paid a great deal of attention to this. From what I have seen, there's a very substantial pile of evidence, but I'm not aware of any actual convictions, or (yet) an admission. So, my conclusion is that I suspect he's probably guilty as alleged, but it is merely a suspicion and I haven't looked at any evidence enough to form a belief, yet alone anything approaching feeling sure. Such evidence may well exist, but I haven't looked, and don't care enough to spend the time doing so.

So that said, IF he is guilty, then in my view it is utterly contemptible, disgraceful, reprehensible, and disgusting. It is the epitomy of sheer ambition and greed, it is perpetrating a vast con on millions of his personal fans and sports fans in general, it adds a taint that cannot help but tarnish everyone in his sport because we all wonder if they're at it as well, and all to fatten his ego, his bank balance, or more likely, both.

So, unlike Galant, I don't feel one iota of ambivalence. If, and I stress IF he's guilty as alleged, then I feel utter contempt, and sincerely hope he ends up in court being sued time and again by anyone capable of doing so, financially crucified and ends up utterly broke, preferably prosecuted and if at all possible, jailed, because he has permanently damaged and devalued not only his sport, but all sports, by his greed.

Ambivalent? Personally, not a bit of it. This kind of thing needs to be stamped out, and stamped out hard, and ANY sportsman (or, obviously, women) caught cheating via drugs banned, and banned for life, with the only exceptions being if an appeal overturns the conviction for drug-taking. If a mistake gets made, then it needs to be corrected, but short of that, no srcond chances for the guilty, and we should have an absolutely zero tolerance policy, because anything less undermines the entire ethos of sport. It's supposed to be about pure human achievement, at an elite level, and for the records of everyone else, that (as far as we know) did it the proper and hard way, not by shooting up the latest designer cheat-enhancers, we need to stamp this out.

Thanks

He'll make money from the sobs and tears. Meanwhile those people who's careers he destroyed and companies he sued will be left to count the cost. It's all a PR move and I doubt he will admit to a 10th of what he's done. If he does he's even more of a fool as he will leave himself open to jail time. For some reason the US government aren't so keen on people using government money to fund illegal activity. (US Postal being the major sponsor of Armstrong).

The sooner this fool is out of the limelight and forgotten the better. See Cookes retirement talk for more on why http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20946301

This is worth a read if you want more info on what armstrong has been up to and the sheer weight of evidence behind it
    http://nyvelocity.com/content/interv...-ashenden?null

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

This is worth a read if you want more info on what armstrong has been up to and the sheer weight of evidence behind it
    http://nyvelocity.com/content/interv...-ashenden?null
    If that was for me, to address my self-confessed lack, then I appreciate the thought, Gordy, but I don't care enough about Armstrong to want the detail. The issue of drugs and sport bothers me, but the extent and flavour of his particular pecadillos don't.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    So, unlike Galant, I don't feel one iota of ambivalence. If, and I stress IF he's guilty as alleged, then I feel utter contempt, and sincerely hope he ends up in court being sued time and again by anyone capable of doing so, financially crucified and ends up utterly broke, preferably prosecuted and if at all possible, jailed, because he has permanently damaged and devalued not only his sport, but all sports, by his greed.
    Yup I fear he has 'outed himself' on a sympathetic TV show, so he can try and frame his acitons in the best possible light. If the roumers are true, I'd hazard a guess he will be saying how doping is rife, he was under pressure to compete etc.

Well here's an idea walk away from competative cycling. If everyone is drugged up, don't play. Do something else instead.

Unless fame is that important to you, you'd do anything to aquire it, in which case I've no sympathy.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

If that was for me, to address my self-confessed lack, then I appreciate the thought, Gordy, but I don't care enough about Armstrong to want the detail. The issue of drugs and sport bothers me, but the extent and flavour of his particular pecadillos don't.
    I linked for anyone really, as it's a fascinating article and puts to bed quite a few facts defenders of Armstrong trotted out each time. It touches on all sports really as the drugs testing for every sport is done by the same labs.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

He was barred from competing in Triathlon last year too for just being under suspicion. Seemed a bit harsh at the time, but I wasn't aware of all the background.

Although I'm all for banning doping in sport, it would be interesting to see what would happen to the times if there was a superleague where anything goes, massive amounts of steroids, the lines on the running track made out of pure amphetamine, ostrich legs transplanted on etc.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

What I don't get is how this benefits him.

It seems almost certain that a fair few lawsuits will be filed, and perhaps even a perjury case. Sure, he'll make a bit of cash from the interviews and publicity, but surely it can't outweigh all of the aforementioned?

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

Maybe Livestrong has taken a major hit because of this and him coming out and admitting might help them?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    He was barred from competing in Triathlon last year too for just being under suspicion. Seemed a bit harsh at the time, but I wasn't aware of all the background.

Although I'm all for banning doping in sport, it would be interesting to see what would happen to the times if there was a superleague where anything goes, massive amounts of steroids, the lines on the running track made out of pure amphetamine, ostrich legs transplanted on etc.
    But isn't that more of a competition to see who can find, or afford, tbe best chemist, not who is the better athlete?

Thanks

And it's confirmed. He's confessed. Lawsuits already piling up.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

But isn't that more of a competition to see who can find, or afford, tbe best chemist, not who is the better athlete?
    Meh, in order to get right to the top you can't rely on drugs alone anyway. I would hazard a guess that drugs give you a tiny advantage, probably less than 1%, but that's what separates the elites.

The reason that you don't see many Africans in TdF is probably more down to the countries not being able to afford training facilities/the latest carbon fibre bikes etc etc, not because they're not as fit. Is that fair?

Maybe he's coming clean because he's sick of being hounded, or maybe his cancer is back and he wants to set the record straight. Guess we have to wait for the interview to find out.
    Last edited by b0redom; 16-01-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity

Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Meh, in order to get right to the top you can't rely on drugs alone anyway. I would hazard a guess that drugs give you a tiny advantage, probably less than 1%, but that's what separates the elites.

The reason that you don't see many Africans in TdF is probably more down to the countries not being able to afford training facilities/the latest carbon fibre bikes etc etc, not because they're not as fit. Is that fair?
    Some of the cheats in the US Postal team said its more like a 3% boost which is the difference from being at the front or the back apparently.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB