Thread: Staff meetings and Employment law.

Registered+
    Thanks

Staff meetings and Employment law.

Whats the law on staff meetings?

I have a full time day job, and a second job in a pub.

The pub job calls staff meetings early on sunday mornings and i do not really want to go. Now i did not go today and i am apparently going to get a verbal warning.

They DO NOT pay us for going to the staff meeting, so can they give me verbal warnings for not turning up to somthing i do not get paid for?

How does the law stand? I have tried looking for info but cannot find any.

Large Member
    Thanks
    Stuff like staff meetings should be in your Job contract, have a look through it. It may not necessarily say 'Obliged to turn up to Staff meetings every Sunday', it could be disguised as any number of things.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks

Re: Staff meetings and Employment law.

Problem:
    Staff meetings and Employment law.

Whats the law on staff meetings?

I have a full time day job, and a second job in a pub.

The pub job calls staff meetings early on sunday mornings and i do not really want to go. Now i did not go today and i am apparently going to get a verbal warning.

They DO NOT pay us for going to the staff meeting, so can they give me verbal warnings for not turning up to somthing i do not get paid for?

How does the law stand? I have tried looking for info but cannot find any.

Solution:

In your staff handbook there should be information on all these things, such as staff meetings and whether or not you have to contractually be there. If it is unreasonable it would not seem likely that they expect you to turn up every week. However if there is vital information that needs to be discussed in the meetings then it would seem logical that they pick a time they believe everyone would be able to go. I am sure if you explained to your employer that you could not attend they may be able to help you out. The best thing for you to do is to look in the staff handbook and get some legal advice. You can get a free first consultation from Quality Solicitors, who will be able to give you some advice. You could also try the CAB but they may not be able to help with your particular problem. Also you could ring a law firm but they may charge you for some initial advice.

Thread Information