Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Russian Mafia tax! and the run on the banks.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Re: Russian Mafia tax! and the run on the banks.

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    You're not getting my point. If they increase everybody's debts, that money won't be realised for years if they don't increase monthly repayments. If they do, then the money will be realised slowly over the next few years. To realise it quickly, they'd need to dramatically increase repayments, and then most would probably default.

Taking savings means all of the cash, in one day.

There's a big difference.
    The collective debt could be sold as a bond. Instant cash.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

One thing is certain, the Cyprus government (well, the Greek side - coincidence??) has got a tiger by the tail, and if I were a betting man, I'd say it is a dead cert that there will be a run on the banks when they evdntually re-open.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

thats what a cyprus guy (george theadoru) has said on tv - doesnt matter what happens now when the banks re-open there will be a run on them and some banks will likely collapse next week.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    One thing is certain, the Cyprus government (well, the Greek side - coincidence??) has got a tiger by the tail, and if I were a betting man, I'd say it is a dead cert that there will be a run on the banks when they evdntually re-open.
    I'd say it's a dead cert too.

We only choked off a bank run here by the government explicitly stepping in, to calm down Northern Rock fears and massively propping up HBoS.

And even that ONLY worked because there was enough credibility with depositors that the assurances were believed. Given what's happened in Cyprus, what credibility is there, when that same "guarantee" (though now 100,000 Euros) was in place, and this measured would have neatly side-stepped it and taken the money anyway. It showed, EU wide, that that guarantee might cover you if the bank fails, but not if the government steps in just before it fails, and 'nationalises' (i.e. legally steals, despite the contradiction in terms in that) your money to pay for saving it. Talk about splitting hairs.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HalloweenJack View Post
    thats what a cyprus guy (george theadoru) has said on tv - doesnt matter what happens now when the banks re-open there will be a run on them and some banks will likely collapse next week.
    Surely they will be placing withdrawl restrictions on them?

It's telling thou, that someone I know was planning to return to Cyprus, been originally from there, had resigned his job just last month, has now decided to stay in London.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Surely they will be placing withdrawl restrictions on them?

Probably.

But will that not just mean a slow-motion run?

I mean, if I had a couple of thousand in those banks, I'd withdraw it in one go if I can, and in 20 chunks of £100 at a time if that's all I can do, but either way, I'd withdraw it. Permanently.

But .... you introduce those capital controls and you can pretty much kiss goodbye to any chance of further incoming capital, and that wrecks a major plank of the Cypriot economy, which relies on "loose" tax and money laundering rules.

IMHO, 50% of the damage is already done, that being damage to future trade, that now will go elsewhere. The other 50% is yet to come, that being damage to the trade they already have .... sorry, had.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I presume they'd just put a block on say 10% of the amount in the account, possibly back dated to last Monday.

Thanks

Saracen thats pretty much what this guy who the bbc interviewed has said , his firm is close to going under , all they have is cash reserves - credit cards arnt being taken in alot of places now as well. no one is spending , and cash machines arnt being refilled.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    IMHO, 50% of the damage is already done, that being damage to future trade, that now will go elsewhere. The other 50% is yet to come, that being damage to the trade they already have .... sorry, had.
    There is a cruel irony in this thou.

10% loss is nothing. Absolutely nothing.

There I said it.

If a business is operating so close to the wire that a 10% loss on its operating cash is enough to kill it, it was already dead.

If a person has just sold their house, and lost 10% of the cash they had sitting in the bank, life's a bitch, it's not going to make you homeless, worst case, the kids share a room.

If someone is living on their savings, 6.9% might mean a loss of luxuries, but not starvation.

As it stands the un-certainty, the looking probably collapse of their banking will likely cost each person a hell of a lot more than 10%. However that won't effect them until tomorrow!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

There is a cruel irony in this thou.

10% loss is nothing. Absolutely nothing.

There I said it.

If a business is operating so close to the wire that a 10% loss on its operating cash is enough to kill it, it was already dead.

If a person has just sold their house, and lost 10% of the cash they had sitting in the bank, life's a bitch, it's not going to make you homeless, worst case, the kids share a room.

If someone is living on their savings, 6.9% might mean a loss of luxuries, but not starvation.

As it stands the un-certainty, the looking probably collapse of their banking will likely cost each person a hell of a lot more than 10%. However that won't effect them until tomorrow!
    Perhaps, but personally, I would be really, REALLY furious if the government decided to help itself to 10% of my savings.

Let me give you an example. When the credit crunch hit, and there was speculation about Halifax/RBoS, etc, I had to shift a fairly large sum around. I'm not going to go into too much detail for obvious reasons, and reading too much into what I'm saying next would be a mistake because any inferences drawn are likely to be wrong. But I shifted a sum that, well, could be measured in the hundreds of thousands, into multiple accounts and into other asset classes, precisely because of the risk.

And sure, the risk was over FAR more than 10%, but even 10% would have been a really large hit.

The point was the damage to confidence. I no longer would put that sort of sum in one place, or for that matter, one asset class. My confidence in the safety of banks has never recovered, and I doubt it ever will.

And yes, the situation, and the nature of the risk, is different. But the reaction to a risk you didn't expect, that you had never thought of as possible, that had never occurred to you, is that you will never be unaware of it again.

And right round the EU, and possibly even wider afield that that, people are looking at their bank, and their government, and thinking "hmmmm .... what if ...?"

Most, no doubt, won't act overtly, at least, not yet. But, they may take precautionary measures. Maybe, they keep an emergency reserve in cash, at home. That would certainly be a lesson many in Cyprus would be well-advised to consider, though it brings security risks of a different kind.

Another option would be to keep some funds in a different currency, and even in a bank in a different country. It's not that difficult to do. And I've been doing it for about 30 years, though in large part, it's for convenience not as a hedge against risk. It doubles up as that, though.

So it remains to be seen what long-term effect this has, but regardless of that, the damage to confidence and to banking has been done. It'll be worse, by far, in Cyprus than elsewhere, but echoes will be felt all over the place.

As for whether 10% is damaging or not, it depends on your perspective. It might not be that damaging to those with a regular income stream, but if you're trying to live on savings and returns from those savings, it's a very big hit, because you not only lose that 10% as a one-off, but you also lose the revenue, such as it is at today's rates, on what that 10% would have earned, and you lose that year after year. And the capital may well be irreplaceable.

But even if not, the real issue is not what damage losing the 10% would have done, but what damage people reactions of perhaps losing in a similar way on the future would be.

And of course, if they grab 10% now, what's to say they won't be back in a week, month or year, for another 10%, or 25%, or .... ?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

If my government clobbered me like this once, two things would happen. First, I'd never forgive them. Second, I'd do everything I could to ensure I was not in a position that they could ever do it to me again, just because they thought it was possible. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Thanks

Well they've completely backed down for now:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21875246

But it will be interesting to see what will happen.

Contempory Economic History will be much more interesting for students of the next decade.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Contempory Economic History will be much more interesting for students of the next decade.
    It's going to be hilarious. A mix of 'WTF were they thinking' and 'nothing actually works so why are we on this course?'

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    The collective debt could be sold as a bond. Instant cash.
    Perhaps, but it would be worth far less than the headline number.

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Perhaps, but it would be worth far less than the headline number.
    How so? A bond is a bond. The only negotiable bit is the interest paid by the borrowing comapny / nation given how risky it seems to the lender. In this case the bond would have to be underwritten somehow to make it credible. Given the endless other BS underwriting iffy debt going on in the Eurozone, this would be just another day at the office.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    How so? A bond is a bond. The only negotiable bit is the interest paid by the borrowing comapny / nation given how risky it seems to the lender. In this case the bond would have to be underwritten somehow to make it credible. Given the endless other BS underwriting iffy debt going on in the Eurozone, this would be just another day at the office.
    Why would anybody want to buy a huge amount of debt with no guarantees it would be repaid? It would have to be value for money, i.e. they'd pay less than it's worth and in doing so take on the risk.

I get what your argument is, but surely you can see how much more convenient taking savings would be, as compared to increasing debts?

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

It shows you what govt guarantees mean. I remember the run on Northern Rock and Alistair Darling urged to make a statement, any statement, to give people confidence is safe.

The Cypriot PM has committed political suicide. Yes it is robbery but given they were going to the wall and would lose it all, one can understand why he did it.

That isn't the worst of it. They were asked to place 15% levy 100k+ folk which by estimates make up 65% of accounts, PM argued to bring it down closer to 10% and make the rest from those with less than 100k.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information