• Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Re: Scammed by sale on Gumtree

Quote Originally Posted by ufospace View Post
    tell the bank that someone got in your account and done the withdrawal transfer and you never did the transfer. That's the only way to get your money back. Otherwise they will say its your fault etc...
    So first you spam the forums, and now you advocate fraud. Impressive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrPK21 View Post
    at the moment it's still looking like i am going to be taking a road trip.
    For the purpose of..?

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Quote Originally Posted by herulach View Post
    There isn't a legal way to find out if the name matches the address, however, its perfectly possible if you know the right google-fu.
    Yes there is, electoral role (believe you have to pay for the full access though, and can be out of date, mine shows up as where I last voted in the general election, moved twice since then)
    http://www.whitepages.co.uk/electora...er-voters.html

ufospace: That is fraud to claim you didn't make a transaction that you did
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Thanks

People use Gumtree for non-pickup items?

Odd, I never thought of that, ebay is for postable items, Gumtree is for collecting items.

Good luck :-/

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

right so they might do something, and they might contact me again, this makes me feel that the police are really willing to help me.

Other than that I'm on my own again. I do find this hard to believe, that there is so little legal back up for this offence .....
    Well, I know you're not going to want to hear this, but how much police attention do you think the average burglary, car theft or street mugging gets?

And, how many reports do you think ActionFraud get?

They simply don't have the resources, or a small fraction of the resources, necessary to do a detailed investigation into each and every report.

I know it's harsh, and I know the only one that matters to you is the one that happened to you, but there are thousands of people in the same boat, every month, thinking and feeling exactly that., and police just aren't able to investigate them all. Which is why so many small crimes result in a crime number, an official record and beggar all else. Been there, done that, and worse off because of it.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OilSheikh View Post

But, in reality, being nice doesn't get you anywhere in life. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.
    Agreed, it doesn't. One thing that is unknown if you go to, erm, coerce a refund, is what the reaction to that will be. It might be that you get your money back, it might be that you get shot at, or it might be that you find the police looking for you, for assault or worse.

I seem to remember a certain MP seeking to avoid points on his licence, and presumably, political fallout, for speeding, by coaxing/inducing his then wife to take the points. That apparently trivial little stunt ended up with both him and his wife in jail, both now having criminal records for very serious offences, and his political career being, it seems, well and truly toast. Action, and reaction.

I would also advise anyone planning to visit a fraudster with a baseball bat to not talk about it on an internet forum. With GCHQ and the NSA these days .....

7. Received thanks from:

OilSheikh

As a fan of Burn Notice and a lifetime member of the Michael Weston fanclub, this is what I would do :

-Check out the place on Google Maps, ideally with Streetview

-Prepare phony 1 page research document and print ten copies and go to the house on a weekday evening, ring the doorbell and say you are doing a research on people in the area to find out if there's any issues they would like to address.
    So, the first question is - Can I take your name please.

-If you have a full name, match the surname with your bogus seller's surname. If it matches, run to the Police.

-If it doesn't, it's surveillance time. Sit in a car outside the house and keep watch. Follow anyone leaving the house and see where they go, what they do.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB Fighter
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTTP

Wot ? This is an internet forum. I am a packet of data, you are a packet of data and we are all anonymous. Do clarify what you mean.
    You've had your head in the sand for too long. Because something is on 'the internet' does not mean it is outside the law. Think about the number of Twitter related law suits, or the muppets who incriminated themselves during the London riots.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    .... Because something is on 'the internet' does not mean it is outside the law. Think about the number of Twitter related law suits, or the muppets who incriminated themselves during the London riots.
    Well, quite.

Few people are actually anonymous on the internet IF the authorities want to find you. Of course, some people might be beyond jurisdiction, like abroad.

But my point, OilSheikh, wasn't about legal liability for you or me, but for HEXUS, as publisher. And HEXUS is neither anonymous, nor abroad.

Part of the job of any moderating team is to keep one eye on the legal liability of the publisher. There are a significant number of ways that can crop up, from joint liability for defamatory statements, to possible criminal action for incitement to various violent acts.

Is anything that's been said here likely to be considered as that? I'd think not, no, but it was starting to explore the edges of it. So, does HEXUS, as a publisher with joint liability, wait for something to go wrong and either letters from lawyers to arrive, or the police to be knocking on the door, or do we avoid liability in the first place?

The long and short of it is that we have no desire to go through the hassle or cost of such involvement, and certainly not over keyboard-warrior remarks of forum members, because such legal action can be VERY expensive. HEXUS will, if necessary, stand behind IT'S articles and posts, but has no desire to have legal issues over member's forum posts.

Hence my comments.

Thanks

Wot ? This is an internet forum. I am a packet of data, you are a packet of data and we are all anonymous. Do clarify what you mean.

Moving on, Yes, it was a joke.

But, in reality, being nice doesn't get you anywhere in life. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

no you are not anonymous - as users on PPRUNE found out when Ryanair sued the forum owners for the posters ip addresses and any relevant information.

again from a legal viewpoint - your on your own.

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

I feel for you OP.. it sucks. Been in that position before, but maybe not as bad ££ wise. I hope it gets sorted at somepoint.

But the mentality of some people is unreal. It'll be like a scene out of Big Bang Theory when Sheldon and Co tries to recover his World of Warcraft goods.

Out of curiousity, did you offer to pay via Bank Transfer or did the Seller ask you to pay by Bank Transfer? If you have his email address, try searching on Google, his email address. If you come across him selling anything else, get a friend to buy from him but try and recover as much information as possible. Just a suggestion, as taking law into your own hands is likely to go south and you'll be worse off.

Lesson learned pay either Credit Card or Paypal in future.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Well, I know you're not going to want to hear this, but how much police attention do you think the average burglary ...
    This is an excellent point: while a couple of officers will turn up for an hour and make soothing noises, you'll get about half an hour of forensics and a "bad luck, we'll be in touch if anything turns up". It's little enough to make some things barely worth reporting...

Thanks

Hey, i myself have also been had. I did a bank transfer at the end of December last year there, for £700 on my direct debit. and never received the goods. I saw a facebook ad from one of the selling pages for a ps4 bundle. It was supposed to b a surprise xmas present (some surprise). I kept in touch with this man for about a month after the goods had been "sent" so i wasnt suspiscious at first. He told me that they were sent at first, and that he didnt get a tracking number, which he promised me he would get! So i was v. annoyed with him for that. So then i contacted the company he was using to see if i could get the track number off them. They asked me for the addy it was going to, but then they told me they didnt have the parcel? So then thats when i lost my cool and started panicing, and contacted this seller again asking whats going on? So then he said he'll phone them and get back to me within the hour. So then hr slowly passes and says to me he'll refund me the money for all the trouble, if i want. So i said yes please! But i said just to refund me through Paypal so i didnt have to give him out any bank card info. Thinking thats a safer way. It said on my paypal account Temp Hold ever since 30 December 2013. i've contacted Paypal a bundle of times. They say coz i've never paid with them in first place i cant get refund from them. I've contacted bank, they said if it were a credit card, i could have been insured, but it was a debit card so i'm not basically. And i had Police up yesterday there, and they said because the way it looks on my paypal account it looks as if he has attempted to refund me but its failed (coz of the temp hold). and im just waiting for the refund still. But i have no way of contacting this seller! His mobile is constantly switched off, or hes ditched the SIM, hes not replying to his emails, and he Facebook as of last week has now been taking down! so how the heck am i gona get outta this one yi know? So Police told me to just wait and see if this seller refunds u?? So yea, great. They took dwn notes. and didnt take any evidence away with them for now. so i've just to wait. for who knows how long. I've reported it to Action Fraud too, but they do nothing.
    Last edited by peterb; 14-01-2014 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Language

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley McLoone View Post
    Hey, i myself have also been had. I did a bank transfer at the end of December last year there, for £700 on my direct debit. and never received the goods. I saw a facebook ad from one of the selling pages for a ps4 bundle. It was supposed to b a surprise xmas present (some surprise). I kept in touch with this man for about a month after the goods had been "sent" so i wasnt suspiscious at first. He told me that they were sent at first, and that he didnt get a tracking number, which he promised me he would get! So i was v. annoyed with him for that. So then i contacted the company he was using to see if i could get the track number off them. They asked me for the addy it was going to, but then they told me they didnt have the parcel? So then thats when i lost my cool and started panicing, and contacted this seller again asking whats going on? So then he said he'll phone them and get back to me within the hour. So then hr slowly passes and says to me he'll refund me the money for all the trouble, if i want. So i said yes please! But i said just to refund me through Paypal so i didnt have to give him out any bank card info. Thinking thats a safer way. It said on my paypal account Temp Hold ever since 30 December 2013. i've contacted Paypal a bundle of times. They say coz i've never paid with them in first place i cant get refund from them. I've contacted bank, they said if it were a credit card, i could have been insured, but it was a debit card so i'm not basically. And i had Police up yesterday there, and they said because the way it looks on my paypal account it looks as if he has attempted to refund me but its failed (coz of the temp hold). and im just waiting for the refund still. But i have no way of contacting this seller! His mobile is constantly switched off, or hes ditched the SIM, hes not replying to his emails, and he Facebook as of last week has now been taking down! so how the heck am i gona get outta this one yi know? So Police told me to just wait and see if this seller refunds u?? So yea, great. They took dwn notes. and didnt take any evidence away with them for now. so i've just to wait. for who knows how long. I've reported it to Action Fraud too, but they do nothing.
    if you know who he is, and where he lives then you might be able to go through the small claims.

i was the same with Action Fraud, you have know idea what or if they are doing any thing.

i have had some luck with mine it turns out that i am 1 of 6 ppl, the guy has been arrested and is out on bail.

I'm just waiting on this going to court, and then seeing what happens, if i don't get what i want out of it i will then try them small claims my self.

my fingers are crossed.

Thanks

Hey, OP. I feel for you.

I was thinking of the post above too, small claims court.

You might be able to also (if you know his / her name) searching an electoral roll and that might see if he / she is actually at that address.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

if you know who he is, and where he lives then you might be able to go through the small claims.

i was the same with Action Fraud, you have know idea what or if they are doing any thing.

i have had some luck with mine it turns out that i am 1 of 6 ppl, the guy has been arrested and is out on bail.

I'm just waiting on this going to court, and then seeing what happens, if i don't get what i want out of it i will then try them small claims my self.

my fingers are crossed.
    expect nothing and anything on top is a bonus if you can stand to get £1 per week.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information