Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: (Independent) Scotland and the pound?

Thanks
    • george1979's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7P55D-Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Kingston Hyper X
      • Storage:
      • 128Gb Crucial M4 + 1Tb Samsung F3 + 1Tb WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX570 Twin Frozer 2
      • PSU:
      • 700W Coolermaster Silent M Pro
      • Case:
      • CM 690 II Advanced
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL & Dell 2312HM
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet

Re: (Independent) Scotland and the pound?

Quote Originally Posted by adidan View Post
    See, one family member gets drunk at a wedding and kicks of and then the rest of the family get involved.

There'll be one hell of a clean up in the morning.
    Thanks - that gave me a much needed chuckle

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 m.2 480Gb / 2xCrucial M500 1Tb0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • CM NR400 Noctua Redux filled
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

Quote Originally Posted by george1979 View Post
    Thanks - that gave me a much needed chuckle
    Glad to help, even just a little
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

Thanks

If we decided to build a great wall around London to separate us and them, then their society would collapse long before the rest of the UK. Starvation being the most obvious catalyst. Now I'm not saying that we would fare any better in the long term, just that it is worth putting things into perspective.

Our world is based on using money as a mutually agreeable material value system. So from that perspective it does look as though London is subsidising the rest of the UK. However, if you start looking at real value, i.e. having food to eat is more important than having money (as the latter can become worthless). Then you see it's a much more interesting picture.

The debate we should ultimately be having, beyond that of more regionally devolved government, is how do we best organise both the infrastructure of our country and the mechanics of our society? Clearly some areas are more suited to particular necessities than others, e.g. food and energy. Where the problems start is the iniquities this inherently creates within our current monetary system. So we have to tackle both in combination.

Apologies if any of the above reads a bit odd... part way through writing I got that Mockingbird nonsense stuck in my head. Which destroyed all rational thought... hard to concentrate after that
    Last edited by SeriousSam; 11-09-2014 at 10:35 PM.
    If Wisdom is the coordination of "knowledge and experience" and its deliberate use to improve well being then how come "Ignorance is bliss"

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

I agree, money has become an idol to this country and we have lost sight that it is a means to an end rather than the end itself. We are best as a whole, and the wealth should be spread out, and jobs with it. It is crazy the way we are so crammed into the south east when we have land elsewhere with derelict properties being bulldozed and boarded up due to oversupply. But none of this will be fixed by Scotland leaving, and demanding more than its fair share of the national assets, (and none of the national debt) if it does.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by george1979 View Post
    It was an educated guess

No one expects 5.3million Scots to dictate anything to the rest of the UK - that's just ridiculous. Of course, England, as the largest nation by far, would be expected to dominate parliament etc. No reasonable person would expect any different, its just basic maths.

It is entirely about being able to determine our own future. Scotland is a small nation with specific needs in relation to its people, health, geography and culture. Many people simply feel we would be better off managing these things ourselves.

Also no one expect or wants England to bend over backwards for us - please move away from this mentality. I'd also like it for people to stop referring to Scotland as the SNP - many people are not SNP voters but are supporters of independence. The SNP is just a party, they do not represent every Scot.
    Seeing as you quoted me, I'll assume that's directed to me.

I'm not assuming all Scots are SNP. That's why I attributed some of the above rationale to the SNP, not to Scots as a group.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I think
    I am now getting to the point where I am heartily sick of the BBC's incessant coverage of the referendum.

Yes, I know it is a potentially a major turning point in history, and yes I know it may have an impact on England, the country where I live - but I have no influence or power to affect the outcome.

So please BBC, can we do without the token Scot, James Naughty reporting every nuance on the today programme - and can we not have it at the top of the news agenda in England? Cover it as much as you like in Scotland, where the Scots do have a vote, but just tell me the result next week so I can, if necessary, make the changes to my banking and investment arrangements.

(and by the way, IF it is a YES vote, and IF it all goes wrong, can I have a vote on whether I want the Union re-instated please?)

/rant

Now off to set the radio to R4 Extra for the next seven days.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

7. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (12-09-2014),Saracen (12-09-2014)

Thanks

Daniel Hannan - The Telegraph - "Devo Max" is the best option -

"The best outcome for Scotland is surely full autonomy within the United Kingdom. Holyrood should control transport, education, welfare, health, and the bulk of taxation, leaving Westminster to oversee defence, foreign affairs, immigration and monetary policy."

And then the same should happen for municipalities throughout the rest of the U.K.

"We could do better. We could have pluralism at local level, with the freedom to innovate, to trial new ideas, to copy best practice. We could have tax competition, leading to downward pressure on rates. We could restore honour and purpose to local democracy, attracting a higher calibre of candidate. And then – a delicious bonus – we could let the House of Commons become a part-time assembly of citizen legislators, meeting for no more than 40 days a year, its MPs compensated for their time rather than paid salaries."
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I think
    I am now getting to the point where I am heartily sick of the BBC's incessant coverage of the referendum.

Yes, I know it is a potentially a major turning point in history, and yes I know it may have an impact on England, the country where I live - but I have no influence or power to affect the outcome.

So please BBC, can we do without the token Scot, James Naughty reporting every nuance on the today programme - and can we not have it at the top of the news agenda in England? Cover it as much as you like in Scotland, where the Scots do have a vote, but just tell me the result next week so I can, if necessary, make the changes to my banking and investment arrangements.

(and by the way, IF it is a YES vote, and IF it all goes wrong, can I have a vote on whether I want the Union re-instated please?

/rant

Now off to set the radio to R$ extra for the next seven days.
    Absolutely.

I turn on Newsnight, and it's primarily on Scottish independence. I turn on the Daily Politics, and it's primarily Scottish independence. TV news and, yup, independence. Switch to a different TV station, mand you get a different talking head droning on about independence. Try a third, even a fourth station, and you get more. Hell, even my local radio had a chat show on, you got it, independence. I ended up on Al Jazeera, simply because at least they didn't seem to be so single-minded.

I am, frankly, bored to the back teeth with all the coverage, and personally, I suspect media coverage is partly driving polling, which in turn drives coverage. I mean the hoopla after one, count 'em, ONE poll showed Yes in the lead, and all of a sudden, it's a win. In fact, nothing material had changed. The gap was well within the margin of polling error, and the latest version of the exact same poll now gives No a greater lead than it gave to Yes in the last one, still within the margin of error. And none, absolutely NONE of the polls can be relied on to predict the outcome. We have to wait for the vote for that.

So, I absolutely agree with Peter. I'm sick of the non-stop coverage. In Scotland, fine. Down here, give us a break.

And I already have changed much of my banking and investment arrangements, just in case. One account is closed, a second is down to a minimal balance pending closure, and investments have now completed the move. I dumped some shares in Scottish companies months ago, again, just in case.

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):

It is getting a bit much but expect more of it if it's a 'yes' vote. Actually, expect more if it's a 'no' vote, the Scottish votes on English&Welsh law is just one thing.

There'll be several years of legal negotiations re how much of the oil the rest of the UK is actually entitled to under International Law let alone every other issue under the sun. Joy.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

Banned
    Thanks

Personall, if they vote yes... The best thing to do would be for the rest of the union to asset strip before independence.

Might as well profit from it.

Thanks

if Scotland vote NO and get devo max then great they lose the London MP`s as well.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    Personall, if they vote yes... The best thing to do would be for the rest of the union to asset strip before independence.

Might as well profit from it.
    Which would be countered by debt non-repayment come independence at least equal to the perceived value of the assets.

Thanks

Sick of coverage?! Come on folks this is a massive, huge, major event for the UK. It's not like you have control over any other item featured on the news?... What other item of news on even remotely the same scale is currently being under reported due to the coverage of this?

And this is coming from someone who barely watches the news as it's usually irrelevant or depressing pap.

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Sick of coverage?!
    You see I'm sick of it but you can be damned sure I keep turning over the channels hunting around until I find someone saying something about it. Yes, I make myself sick.

Such is life.

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I'm not assuming all Scots are SNP. That's why I attributed some of the above rationale to the SNP, not to Scots as a group.
    But I think Salmond believes the SNP IS Scotland and every Scot living there.

He seems to have forgotten that the SNP only holds about 50% of the seats, doesnt really "have a mandate" and is determined to have what he wants, at any cost.

Based on the 2011 elections, they have 53.49% of the seats, based on 45% of constituency votes and 44% of regional votes.

Seems good, but given the turn out was 50%, they actually might only represent ~25% if Scots.

And im sure they argued hard for the referendum being a simple majority, rather than a truly representative one with minimum turnouts etc.

Of course, I could have completely misunderstood many many things.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    Sick of coverage?! Come on folks this is a massive, huge, major event for the UK. It's not like you have control over any other item featured on the news?... What other item of news on even remotely the same scale is currently being under reported due to the coverage of this?

And this is coming from someone who barely watches the news as it's usually irrelevant or depressing pap.
    My problem with it isn't that they're covering it. It's that there's very little happening that's new, yet it's getting the lion's share of so many current affairs and politics programs, day after day after day after tedious day.

If it advanced the subject matter any, I wouldn't mind. But it doesn't. The vast bulk of the coverage consists of tbe same three things :-

- the 'no' camp asking the same questions (what currency, EU membership, etc, that they've been asking for two years.

- the 'yes' camp refusing to answer, and labelling anyone that doesn't agree with their world view as using scare tactics. I've known parrots with a more extensive vocabulary.

- miscellaneous experts giving their opinions, all of which are useless because all that matters is what peopke vote.

So yeah, cover it, but not 75-100% of Newsnight, Daily Politics, etc, day after day after day. And if something genuinely new happens, cover it. But we've been getting those same questions and answers for two YEARS.

And that's coming from someone that is a news and current affairs junkie, and that rarely misses Newsnight, Daily Politics, etc. I am interested. Very interested. Yet even I'm bored rigid by going over the same ground, without progress, for two years.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information