Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Tony Benn

Splash

RIP Tony Benn

Was just reading through the Bob Crow thread and heard on the TV that Tony Benn passed away this morning. Another divisive character who did much (in my opinion) to engage the man in the street with politics.

Rest in peace Tony, mankind is diminished by your loss.
    Last edited by Splash; 14-03-2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: corrected typo

2. Received thanks from:

kalniel (14-03-2014),opel80uk (14-03-2014),Saracen (14-03-2014)

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Re: RIP Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    Was just reading through the Bob Crow thread and heard on the TV that Tony Benn passed away this morning. Another divisive character who did much (in my opinion) to engage the man in the street with politics.

Rest in peace Tony, mankind is diminished by your loss.

Has the pleasure of meeting him a few times and he was an absolute gentleman. The Left has lost one it's most articulate and reasoned voices.

RIP Tony

Thanks
    • MaddAussie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix Z370G
      • CPU:
      • i7 8700k (5.1Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • 500G 960 EVO NMVE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 1070
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM650i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide A1r 240
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell HD + Samsung HD

While I never really liked his politics I always listened to what he had to say. He had great integrity and its something the present bunch could do well to learn from.

RIP Tony

Isn't salad what food eats??

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post
    Has the pleasure of meeting him a few times and he was an absolute gentleman. The Left has lost one it's most articulate and reasoned voices.

RIP Tony
    I too met him, years ago, and while we might differ on Bob Crow, I would agree with that assessment.

Certainly in later years, I found him thoughtful, charming, and while I disagreed with him politically, he was extremely well-educated and oh so dangerous to get into a discussion with.

Believe it or not, this does really sadden me.

RIP, Tony.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Never met him, but he was (in his later years) very thought provoking and interesting to listen to. As a politician, and as a minister, he was, I think, a great asset to the Conservative party as his views were so far to the left that it frightened many middle of the road or floating voters (who were so assiduously and successfully wooed by Blair - who is a political pygmy in comparison) away from the party.

But a formidable intellect and a man who also had an outstanding reputation representing his constituents - which is as it should be, although sadly with some career politicians, that sometimes appears to be a secondary consideration.

He was described on the "Today" programme as "A National Treasure" a term often bandied about without thought. But certainly in his latter years, after he retired fas an MP, his delivery seemed (to me) to be more measured, as he no longer had a point to prove. I would like to have heard him speak in person - sadly no longer possible.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Heard him speak in person at a lunchtime lecture while at uni. way back in the early 90s. Even though I still consider many of his political views completely barmy, he was a formidable character, and a great public speaker.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

He was described on the "Today" programme as "A National Treasure" a term often bandied about without thought. But certainly in his latter years, after he retired fas an MP, his delivery seemed (to me) to be more measured, as he no longer had a point to prove. I would like to have heard him speak in person - sadly no longer possible.
    Indeed. As an active politician, something of a firebrand and ideologue. After retirement, I don't think his views or beliefs changed much, if at all, but presentation certainly did, and he was as charming and urbane as it's possible to get. Formiddable too.

It's often the case. Michael Portillo is far, FAR more convincing to me as a broadly non-affiliated commentator, and more measured and thoughtful, not to mention honest, in presentation, than he was as a party member.

If politicians want to know why people disengage, compare the stance of both these men while active to their approach in retirement (or voter-mandated career change) and you'll see why people don't trust politicians. Whether left or right, Benn or Portillo, they carry an obvious sincerity when they're speaking their exact views than when "preaching" as a politician. And most people react to most politicians as they would to snake oil salesmen for a good reason .... left or right, we see right through the hype, and it makes our spidey senses tingle.

In retirement (or in some cases, in my experience at least, in private) politicians are FAR more credible when speaking honestly, and from the heart, not either toeing the party line, or watching out for media-engineered verbal landmines.

Most people aren't the gullible muppets modern "professional" politicians take us for ... and yes, Cameron, Osborne, Miliband, Balls, Clegg, et.al. ... I most emphatically am referring to you.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post

It's often the case. Michael Portillo is far, FAR more convincing to me as a broadly non-affiliated commentator, and more measured and thoughtful, not to mention honest, in presentation, than he was as a party member.
    A good point, I actually quite like Portillo when he does the Great Railway Journeys thing, his love of railways really comes across. His banter with Diane Abbott on whatever review show it is they do is quite amusing. When he was an MP, I laughed when he got voted out.

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    In retirement (or in some cases, in my experience at least, in private) politicians are FAR more credible when speaking honestly, and from the heart, not either toeing the party line, or watching out for media-engineered verbal landmines.
    To be fair we've probably all had to proclaim something we don't believe in at some point or other in our lives, and if we're lucky it's mostly a limited experience associated with work, with limited impact on the wider world, and the dirty feeling goes away pretty quickly. It's 'just' that the scale and impact of the stuff spouted by the average politician is far far greater. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, hopefully, at least some politicians must have the decency to spend at least some time hating themselves.

I very much agree with regards to Tony Benn though, he actually seemed both genuinely interested and to believe in what he said, rather than spouting dumbed down nonsense all the time.

In a similar vein I had some begrudging respect for Thatcher - she at least seemed to believe what she was doing was right (and not just for her). I'm not saying she was right, just that I think she thought she was ...

(...though I guess you could say the same of several despots and warmongers)

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
    In a similar vein I had some begrudging respect for Thatcher - she at least seemed to believe what she was doing was right (and not just for her). I'm not saying she was right, just that I think she thought she was ...

(...though I guess you could say the same of several despots and warmongers)

Oh my God, what have you done!..............

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    Heard him speak in person at a lunchtime lecture while at uni. way back in the early 90s. Even though I still consider many of his political views completely barmy, he was a formidable character, and a great public speaker.
    Funnily enough that echoes a discussion that me and SWMBO were having this morning - namely that there's fewer and fewer of the old style speakers available these days. Current politicians all seem pretty mealy mouthed by comparison - presumably targeting their delivery to TV rather than a municipal hall full of folk. Actually it's only really the "loonies" like George Galloway who seem to be capable of that "big delivery".

Didn't particularly like Tony Benn because of his pro-CND stance, but there's plenty he said I DID agree with. And, as stated on the Breakfast news this morning, he seems to have been "pro-" technology. Not something you can really say about today's crop of nobodies - unless of course that "tech" is something to do with spying on the electorate!

Definitely one of those folks who did politics as a calling, rather than merely a job. And all power to him for that - hopefully someone will be inspired to take up where he left off, otherwise we definitely will be the poorer for his passing.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post

Definitely one of those folks who did politics as a calling, rather than merely a job. And all power to him for that - hopefully someone will be inspired to take up where he left off, otherwise we definitely will be the poorer for his passing.
    Very true, although don't forget he was a member of the aristocracy as Viscount Stansgate, a hereditary title, before he became Tony Benn, and had the private means to pursue politics.

And that is not a criticism.

It possibly made him a better politician as he was not reliant on sponsorship or donations so there was no question of him being beholden to his sponsor/donors - only to himself.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Quote Originally Posted by opel80uk View Post
    Oh my God, what have you done!..............
    Admitted some begrudging respect for her, then pretty much compared her to Hitler in the next breath... And no, I don't have any respect for Hitler, begrudging or otherwise. I just meant that at least she seemed to have the courage of her convictions, whereas from Blair onwards, we seem to have elected smarmy two faced gits, though to be fair my view of politicians in general hasn't changed much since Yes Minister.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Very true, although don't forget he was a member of the aristocracy as Viscount Stansgate, a hereditary title, before he became Tony Benn, and had the private means to pursue politics.

And that is not a criticism.

It possibly made him a better politician as he was not reliant on sponsorship or donations so there was no question of him being beholden to his sponsor/donors - only to himself.
    Not quite true, his dad was the viscount, he was in politics for a long while before he became one, and then only was for 3 years, during which time he was campaigning to pass law allowing him to disclaim his peerage so he could stand as an MP again.

He was obviously from money, but hardly what you'd call aristocracy, his dad was a politician, but his grandfather was from a fairly modest background.

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
    Admitted some begrudging respect for her, then pretty much compared her to Hitler in the next breath... And no, I don't have any respect for Hitler, begrudging or otherwise. I just meant that at least she seemed to have the courage of her convictions, whereas from Blair onwards, we seem to have elected smarmy two faced gits, though to be fair my view of politicians in general hasn't changed much since Yes Minister.
    I was only joshing, I know what you meant. I was more meaning that it would all kick off on here again, regarding her legacy.

In all seriousness, I’ve been reading this thread and it threw up a question. Are modern Politicians the way they are (the slickness, hype, lack of sincerity etc) despite the public, or because of the public? Is being that way the only route for most to get elected into mainstream politics these days?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Funnily enough that echoes a discussion that me and SWMBO were having this morning - namely that there's fewer and fewer of the old style speakers available these days. Current politicians all seem pretty mealy mouthed by comparison - presumably targeting their delivery to TV rather than a municipal hall full of folk. Actually it's only really the "loonies" like George Galloway who seem to be capable of that "big delivery".

Definitely one of those folks who did politics as a calling, rather than merely a job. ....
    He was what I would call, if I labelled him, a conviction politician, and I don't mean the Chris Huhne variety.

He was, at least to a large extent, espousing and promoting as policy what he believed in, and trying to convince us, rather than apparently believing in what focus groups tell you is electorally popular, and worse, electorally popular with the particular segment of the electorate you're trying to seduce .... today.

Today's politicians, by and large, have more in common with whores. No, forget that, it's unfair .... on whores. At least they're honest about what it is they're selling. Perhaps snake-oil salesmen is a better comparison. Because today's deal appears to be that politicians will believe in whatever will get their backside onto a ministerial chair .... at least until their rear lands on the chair.

I loved Robert Heinlein's definition of an honest politician .... one that stay's bought. Cynical, but not far off the mark.

Benn was a different breed, maybe a different era. He believed what he believed, and wanted to convince us. Today, they believe whatever they think we want them to believe. If Benn had been more centrist in his beliefs, he could well have been PM. As it was, his views were too far left, even for many Labour politicians. They were his views alright, but many were neither centrist, nor popular.

I agreed with Tony Benn on some things, disagreed with him on a lot/most, but thoroughly respected his sincerity and integrity. Sad loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information