Thread: Goodbye IE. It's over...

Thanks

Thanks
    Its still doing me good. I rate the feel/character of a program highly so im going to stick with it for a while.

BTW 777 posts

Thanks
    Well, it seems more and more people are dropping IE, largely in favour of Firefox. Some people say IE causes them no bother, but IE has serious security issues, whereas Firefox is more secure, and is generally nicer to use (i.e. tabbed browsing). I can't think of a single bad thing about Firefox (with possible exception of the fact that you might need to use IE to get Firefox in the first place ) It's nice to see Microsoft's dominance confronted - I believe that the number of people on the internet using IE has now dropped below 90% - can't remember where I read it though!
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    Yes, i've heard all about it and it is the best browser ever. Im still happy with IE, maybe in the next windows re-install i'll switch, but i hate switching.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Why wait for a windows reinstall? Firefox is a small download and stops most of the crap that installs itself through IE..
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo
    Why wait for a windows reinstall? Firefox is a small download and stops most of the crap that installs itself through IE..
    Like i said in my previous post i dont like switching from software that i am accustomed to and enjoy using I like the way IE works and as i havent ran into any major problems yet im in no rush to move on to firefox. I wish MS or Google would hurry up and put the new browsers the character of a program is important to me and i dont really like firefox tbh.

Im a complicated fool , dont mind me

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_w
    I can't think of a single bad thing about Firefox (with possible exception of the fact that you might need to use IE to get Firefox in the first place )
    Actually, there have been a couple of design issues raised by security groups which affect all tabbed browsers:

Popup alerts and/or logins - you can be one on tab and have a second non-selected tab make a popup prompt appear, making you think the page you are looking at is the one which is asking you for information.
    Potential here is that you could be led to open a malicious site in another tab while looking at, say, your bank's website and be presented with a login prompt - enter the details here and they get posted to the malicious site.

Ability to re-open closed tabs - this includes HTTPS sites to which you may have authenticated.
    Very handy feature for users - "oops, I didn't mean to close that tab.. *click* *click*... there we go"... the HTTP/HTTPS session is therefore not torn down so must be resident and accessible in memory.
    Bad, bad, bad - I would have expected Firefox, for example, to at least trash the session cookies and tear down SSL sessions, forcing you to re-authenticate.
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Have you raised it as an issue Paul?

That's the good thing about firefox development, if you have an idea or issue you add it into the suggestion box and if it's a good one, more often than not it'll get picked up and implemented, either by the main firefox dev team, or an interested party as an extension
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Well personally don't like multiple tabbed pages, I used Opera extensively at Uni during early IE days when it was worse than it is today. (YES worse - those who don't remember IE 3 and 4 are lucky)

I could never figure out the point of multi tabbed sites... I still remember the whole process of coding sites to look different under different browsers, and still think netscape navigator 3.3 gold was one of the best integrated web/e-mail and news browsers that has ever existed.

If firefox keeps going and gaining strength like it has been, i'm sure it will get to a point where it becomes a mature and sensible product that i'll happily use... Sadly yes i don't quite feel its there yet, be it open source or whatever. I don't want to switch to a browser than could disappear if things went badly for it. You know what americans and law suits are like, especially if one of the vunerabilites that Paul speaks about was to happen to the wrong person.

Having said all that, i hope firefox does very well, small efficent and well developed code is something i strive to deliver myself, so seeing other products working and being a shining example of what can be done is a good example to Microsoft...

Lets hope they take note

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Have you raised it as an issue Paul?
    Oh it's well known - I read it in the discussion digest from Security Focus some weeks ago, and I believe it said every tabbed browser has these issues.

That's the good thing about firefox development, if you have an idea or issue you add it into the suggestion box and if it's a good one, more often than not it'll get picked up and implemented, either by the main firefox dev team, or an interested party as an extension
    My experience has been not so savoury, admittedly with Thunderbird which I think needs a huge amount of work yet - each suggestion failed to turn up in the complex search system, then got flagged incorrectly as a duplicate of another request and automatically closed.
    (My suggestions were around message filters and events on receiving mail such as sound effects being unique based on sender and/or mail account retrieved.)

There is a bug report outstanding for Firefox which I think originated in 2002, to do with icons for bookmarks becoming incorrect - it has a massive thread of people contributing to it, but all the devs cannot be bothered looking into it as it's not a "glory feature".
    Okay it's not a security risk, but they continue to add new features to the core product without fixing the known and widely reported bugs with the current code.

For supportability reasons, I don't like extensions and plugins as a solution - another thing to keep version control over, to go wrong, to not maintain compatibility with the main product, to have problem distributing to multiple machines, and so on.
    Extensions, plugins and addons should, in my opinion, be the "unusual" features that are only wanted or needed by specific people - such as admin and debugging tools.
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080

Thanks
    Paul has very valid points. I am willing to tweak Firefox and put up with it's quirks. For me it is FAR supererior to IE. However, in a corporate environment I'd see it as a nightmare to manage.

Worse is Thunderbird, because it CRASHES! I change the label (colours) on e-mails a lot for the work I do, and this seems to crash it.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Adams
    Ability to re-open closed tabs - this includes HTTPS sites to which you may have authenticated.
    Very handy feature for users - "oops, I didn't mean to close that tab.. *click* *click*... there we go"... the HTTP/HTTPS session is therefore not torn down so must be resident and accessible in memory.
    Bad, bad, bad - I would have expected Firefox, for example, to at least trash the session cookies and tear down SSL sessions, forcing you to re-authenticate.
    My Opera doesn't do that - if I close a tab e.g. in my bank's site I have to log back in.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFF
    My Opera doesn't do that - if I close a tab e.g. in my bank's site I have to log back in.
    Sorry, poor explanation on my part, and I'm not sure if Opera does this as I've only seen it happen on Firefox with TBE - I meant the "undo close tab" feature.
    Closing a tab and opening a new one to the same site does not have that session instantiated, that would be very, very bad!

Thanks
    I'm a fan of Firefox, but I do like IE (except for the security issues) At home I use firefox for all my browsing, except hotmail. I have yet to figure a way to setup msn messenger so that when you click to check your mail, it opens in Firefox instead of IE. I know Firefox aint perfect, no software is... but the number of security issues/concerns with IE is just a lil too much for me.. At work I gotta use IE

IE still has ALOT of life in it yet, I cant see it dying anytime soon.
    ~NiROE~

Thanks
    Good riddance to bad rubbish is what I say. I'll never use IE unless forced to...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePyle
    Opera all the way, I like the intergrated email/news group reader.
    Agreed, Opera is the man

Thread Information