Thread: Barlow lens

Spreadie

Barlow lens

So, I was browsing second hand stores for a cheap tripod for my bridge camera and happened across a cheap and cheerful Jessops TP323 bundled with a 60x350mm spotter scope.

I had a quick play with it in the back yard this evening and saw some reasonable detail on the lunar surface, even though the scope only has a single 4mm eye piece - I'll probably get a couple more at some point.

What I'm wondering.. will a 5x barlow lens work ok with a short eye piece? Nothing extravagant - I just want to have a bit of a play around without this turning into another expensive hobby - which is why I didn't buy the 8" reflector they had in there too. Close call though.

Anyone here have any experience/knowledge I can tap?
    Last edited by Spreadie; 03-03-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks
    • timread's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX
      • Storage:
      • 1x WD Blue SN550 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD, , 1x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD, 2x WD 1TB HDD in RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti WINDFORCE OC 6G
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750W Gold Gen2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R3 Arctic White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 2590 G4, Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia

Re: Barlow lens

I have a Meade ETX70AT scope. I purchased a 3x Barlow lens as a way of getting higher magnification without spending more money on higher strength eyepieces.

The Barlow lens works well. In my opinion it might add some fringing/vignetting which you wouldn't get with a more expensive dedicated eyepiece, but as a first step in viewing at higher magnifications I think it's worthwhile.
    Last edited by timread; 04-03-2015 at 12:03 AM.

3. Received thanks from:

Spreadie

Thanks for the reply - I've ordered a 3x Barlow and another eyepiece.

I'm not expecting anything astonishing - it is only a spotter scope after all - but it is easy to use and, if the kids show an interest, I might consider something a bit more capable that won't break the bank.

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Personally I wouldnt ever go above a 2x Barlow, law of diminishing returns.

http://ukastroimaging.co.uk/forums is a GREAT place for beginners in astronomy, no such thing as a daft question, very friendly.
    Cheers, David

6. Received thanks from:

Spreadie

I was looking at a 5x but reading around seemed to suggest it might be asking a bit too much, so I naively though 3x would be a good compromise - It was only around £8 so it's not the end of the world if it turns out to be rubbish.

Thank you for the link, too!

Bagnaj97

The Tal barlow lenses are highly regarded for their price, but it seems they may have been discontinued or are at least no longer imported. The Baader Classic seems to be a favoured replacement at the moment - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baad...5x-barlow.html

For a cheaper option there are several barlows available on astroboot - http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot

9. Received thanks from:

Spreadie

Thank you, but given the initial outlay, I'm not keen to spend three times as much on a Barlow lens.

I am aware that great glass doesn't come cheap and I'm not averse to spending a little to improve the experience provided by the modest equipment that I have, and I'm also aware that gradual, incremental, improvements will likely cost more in the long run, but I'm willing to accept that for now. I think it could be far too easy to let this get out of hand when it is nothing more than a casual interest at this stage.

Thread Information