Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PIC: Aircrafts :) 56k Unhappy

Large Member
    Thanks

PIC: Aircrafts :) 56k Unhappy

Some photos I took a few months back on an extremely dodgy, badly set up digi cam. I want a nice new DSLR with a 300mm lens thank you.

To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Large Member
    Thanks

Large Member
    Thanks
    Oh, any advice you photography types can give for a RELATIVELY inexpensive solution for the above type of photography would be welcome (see, this isn't photo spam David) .

Tom
    Thanks
    your shots there are good but just lackin the quality a good cam will give you lotsa noise and not too sharp.

yamangman depends what you call relatively in expensive Really, you cannot beat a dSLR for versatility and with them comin 300D body only for around £350-400 with the canon cashback offer, pair that up with a £150-200 half decent telefoto and you've got a bloomin good aircraft photography set up
    Last edited by Tom; 27-12-2004 at 03:54 AM.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Not bad shots for a crappy digicam point of view

I look forward to seeing more if you ever buy a posh DSLR
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    Dirty fly-by by a Lanc... superb!

And on the advice front... I know bugger all about cameras, having once taken a very close up pic of my own cheek with one of those wafer thin digi-cams...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    film, film, film. get yourself a film slr and get a digital; SLr in about 5 years time.
    [xp 2400 @ 133*13.5] [1Gb Twinmos DDR400 CL 2.5] [Abit NF7-s Rev 2.0] [Tagan 480W PSU] [2 x SATA Maxtor 120gb hdd - 1 x 80gb IDE Maxtor hdd - 1 x 80gb IDE Maxtor hdd] [Teac 4x Cdrw] [SonicFury S/C] [LG GSA-4082B DVD+/-RW] [Radeon 9600 np] [Zalman Al-Cu Flower - Arctic silver 3] [windows xp pro 2600 build] [3x 80mm case fans]

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    But no one uses film anymore, and it's such a pain in the ass once you've taken photos to do anything with :|
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Grm
    Thanks
    3rd picture down, looks like a Superman Badge.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grm
    3rd picture down, looks like a Superman Badge.
    Yeah... I'm gonna go with a big fat NO on that one.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Grm
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kez
    Yeah... I'm gonna go with a big fat NO on that one.
    I dont mean the smoke, the lens flare right next to the smoke.

Hmm, i think i need to go see a psychiatrist *spelling* i always seem to see weird things from nothing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Grm
    I dont mean the smoke, the lens flare right next to the smoke.
    Blimey. Anyway, nice pics - shame about the IQ though.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    But no one uses film anymore, and it's such a pain in the ass once you've taken photos to do anything with :|
    ah yes but then this is where I spend a great deal of my time pondering the benefits of both digital AND film. Both have merits as well as fall backs.
    first though I'd like to add a comment I heard today about a neighbour who has a compact camera (35mm) and lent it to her 9(?)yr old son, it went something like this:
    *snap*
    "eh! where's the picture? why can't I see it come up on a screen?"
    "these don't work like that dear."
    "Oh, so can we plug it into the computer and see the pictures then?"
    "No dear we have to take it to boots in the morning."
    "oh, ok..."[slightly unsure of why this is necessary].
    *in boots the next day*
    "right, so thy'll be ready in an hour."
    "what?[Angry kid now] a HOUR? Why can't we have them NOW?!"
    "becaue its film dear, it needs to be developed and printed by someone at boots so we can get the pictures we took."
    "oh... What?"
    "it doesn't work with a computer"
    "eh?"
    "it needs to be d-e-v-e-l-o-p-e-d first...its not digital."
    "ooooh...what?"

etc.

kids today seem to really have no clue which I think is a shame. does this spell the end of film as we know it? I hope not. personally I love nothing more than to get some cracking prints from the darkroom and truely feel its all my own work..not some 'black box' technology handled by a few filters in photoshop that I have no idea how they work.

so film and digital pro's and con's...digital is accessable by everyone for pictures you can see instantly. film means you need to take them away and process them at boots (or if you have the time, do them yourself). Image quality for digital cameras is getting better all the time and consures can get their hands on a camera that produces results pretty much identical to their 35mm cousin - at least at the size they would normally be printed to for family album etc 6x4, 7x5...up to about 8x10 or 12x10. beyond these sizes film - particularly slide films - have NO equal. no matter who you are or what you do, digital is still whooped up the bum by slide films. thats just the way it is. digital cameras have a finite resolution yet film has an infinite resolution (or analog if that helps) and so an image may be represented in a much more accurate and dynamic way on film.
    Now, most people shooting film will trot off to boots, pay a £5 and get some nice pics. not everyone with a digital will go down to boots with a cd and pay up to 50p a picture...they'd rather do it themselves BUT this means having a good enough printer - say in excess of £100 for a good one - that faithfully reproduces good photo quality pictures...then again there's a limit on the size you can print off (A4 usually), go to boots or jessops or some good printer and providing resolution is high enough you canget a monster poster pic done!

so lets weight up the pros and cons a bit more short hand, lets assume I want a mid range SLR [so no sack of poo] and looking at its equivelent digital slr - or closest, and the ability to print off pictures too...ignor lenses in this example...
    35mm: Canon Eos33 body £350
    digital: Canon eos 20d body £1000(-ish)

so already spending about 3 times more for roughly similar camera - I know its not THE same but even compared to the Eos 3 at £700 the 20D is still some £300 more!
    Printing:
    35mm at 5x7 = £6.50 (where I am it is anyway!), add £3 for a Cd but that defeats the purpose!!
    Digital = needs and Computer (£800 for a good one!) a good printer (£100? more? paper, cartridges etc... say £200 total), ok so it'll last a while but still, will you be guarenteed photo-quality printing on photo quality paper?

bonus with 35mm - less battery usage, everywhere accepts 35mm films, higher resolution on larger prints (though higher megpix count is seeming to come ever closer), compatitvely cheaper than digital and hence can learn basics on an SLR much much cheaper than a digital equal.
    bonus with digital - less need to use chemical darkroom (i.e. NONE!) and hence image manipulation is much more accessable, everyone can do it and get decent results, can see results quicker than 35mm, less photography skil required (not to say those that have one don't have any but its a very efficieny learning tool for those who are getting to grips with it), digital SLRs can in many ways enhance an experienced photographer's skills through its many functions...

Me? I'm looking at the 20D cause i love SLRs but my computer's about a useful as a chocolate teapot at the moment so really wouldn't be a wise move just yet. I also plan on getting a 35mm back to be compatible with the lenses for the digital back and hence give myself the choice when such a time arises - best of both worlds
    Its all a bit swings and round-a-bouts and really depents on how you want to have your pictures displayed!