Thread: Few TV questions

Registered+
    Thanks

Few TV questions

Hi all,

This is my first post so not sure where to write this post.

I have a few questions out of curiosity.

I see that smart tv are the craze now. I know that LED TV is actually LCD TV just with a LED backlight.

Questions :

1) why are processors never posted on TV website like Samasung smart TV for example?

2) will future TV use HBM memory for higher efficiency to use less power or LPDDR4?

3) If TV use 14nm processors does that mean that TV's will use less energy watts?

4) Mobile screens are becoming clearer and more efficient like AMOLED HD, Quad AMOLED that I think is the latest and most efficient for mobile screens. For TVs are screens technology improving and becoming more efficient or we just get 1080 and now 4K?

5) Also how come TV don't say which version of HDMI they have? As 4K tv can really get the full advantage on HDMI 2.0 and HDMI 2.0a

6) Does newer processor improve on clearer TV and a better tv experience?

Reason I asking a few question for efficiency is because now a days efficiency is important on mobile and I guess people in general are more energy conscious.

Thanks

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Few TV questions

Getting a smart TV to me is a dumb thing.

The 'smart' component will be out paced within a few months, whereas the TV should be still good for many years.

Myself I'd just get a FireTV stick and not even contemplate the 'smart' tv features, I think I've used my TV's built in function once.

1,2,3 these things have so little processing power it doesn't matter at all.

4) no, the demand for innovation is less, fewer are sold and they don't have such short livespans.

5) because most consumers wouldn't understand.

6) it's not the speed, these processors are normally not a 'cpu style' but FPGA style due to the high data throughput requirements. As such their algo is the most important part, I'm not aware of anyone issuing updates for them either.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for the answers TheAnimus.

The thing is the new TV's that are coming out are smart all ready aren't they.

To be honest Im waiting for a 4k TV to come out with HDMI 2.0 to get the full advantage of 4K for future use. As once I buy a TV I would like it to last a number of years. To be as future proof as possible. I know some technology that each company say are gimmicks and not really a big advantage at all i guess.

But was always interested in knowing on screen technology etc etc. But as you say its not really updated often.

Thanks

Registered+
    Thanks

I will just add a bit more what I know/believe.

for 4. TV screens are improving, you have various different technologies available such as LCD (with LED backlight), plasma's (which are getting outdated and hard to find) and THE screen technology in my opinion OLED. OLED's are pretty awesome, extremely flat and have absolutely stunning picture quality (and price tag while we are at it). For the resolution itself there is always the issue of content and the distance you are viewing at, so 4k looks better than 1080p but there has always been arguments how much you can see the improvement when you count in some 3.5m average eye to screen distance. While smartphones are usually used on 20-30 cm distance so you can actually notice the difference between 720p and 1080p (you can of course still notice it on TV's but it is not that visible). Also TV manufacturers work on improving the picture quality all the time (this deals with accurate color reproduction etc...) which are just as important and in my opinion the actual specs matter with TV's but I would still rather go with a well reviewed fhd model from a big name company than a cheap 4k model.

5. Hdmi 1.0 hdmi 1.4 and 2.0 are quite new and mostly vendors are trying not to confuse people with it. It is not true that you need 2.0 to get 4k content, you can get it at 30Hz (so 30 images in a second) over normal hdmi, you need 2.0 for 60Hz 4k content. Also many of them ship with so called display port connectors which work on 60Hz 4k and most of the respectable stuff that can actually work on 4k has one too.

6. It might improve your user interface experience, so how fast apps install and stuff loads. I believe the most future proof of the "smart" standards is Android TV but it is usually well overpriced and still won't be usable for more than a couple of years at the very most. Simply said 5 -10 years most people use their TV's is too long a time in today's level of progress.

Faster processor won't improve the picture quality, most tv's have specific "graphics" processors which handle the picture and adapt the signal coming through the ports and they spend a lot of focus on making these right (and here comes the above picture quality stuff).

Thread Information