• PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Post Working overseas?

Does anyone here work overseas?

I ask as I'm in the process of looking at another job.

Is there any particular website you can recommend for ANY overseas jobs? My existing career isn't challenging and now I want to do something different, become passionate about, learn, thrive and progress.

I know this isn't specified at a particular job, but I'd be curious at looking at what jobs are being advertised and if training is provided etc.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Working overseas?

I did for 6 months.. but I didn't go through any special websites or anything. Just apply to the companies as you would a job in this country. Contact their HR if you need any more info with the process, which most companies are quite used to dealing with (ie if selected for interview, will pay expenses, offers conditional on visa etc. - but they usually help with all of that).

3. Received thanks from:

Macman (20-01-2016)

Registered+
    Thanks

What do you fancy doing and where? Speaking a second language might be helpful.

5. Received thanks from:

Macman (20-01-2016)

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

IS it worth looking into TEFL? I know a few people who have done this and found it immensely rewarding.

7. Received thanks from:

Macman (20-01-2016)

Thanks

I live 'overseas' - have lived in three different countries over the last 15 years (!!! where did that time go?!).

Since your question is very general I have several questions back in return. If that's alright?

My first question back is why are you thinking 'overseas' rather than just 'new job/career'?

When you move somewhere else for work you end up with two massive factors - the job itself and the new culture. If you don't like your work at the moment is it fair to assume you won't want the same job elsewhere? If so, how important to you, is the job you do - or are you just after a change of scenery?

Last questions - how much travelling have you done so far, have you spent any extended time abroad/away from home/family, and if so, does any particular type of place/culture/job appeal to you?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

9. Received thanks from:

Macman (20-01-2016)

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I did for 6 months.. but I didn't go through any special websites or anything. Just apply to the companies as you would a job in this country. Contact their HR if you need any more info with the process, which most companies are quite used to dealing with (ie if selected for interview, will pay expenses, offers conditional on visa etc. - but they usually help with all of that).
    Cheers Kalniel

Quote Originally Posted by suedenim View Post
    What do you fancy doing and where? Speaking a second language might be helpful.
    At the moment, I am unsure what I want to do but what I do know is I need a change, a new challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    IS it worth looking into TEFL? I know a few people who have done this and found it immensely rewarding.
    I'll give that a look! I'm sure not long ago, I somehow ended up getting an email from TEFL regarding teaching English in China. Cheers Smudger.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant View Post
    I live 'overseas' - have lived in three different countries over the last 15 years (!!! where did that time go?!).

Since your question is very general I have several questions back in return. If that's alright?

My first question back is why are you thinking 'overseas' rather than just 'new job/career'?

When you move somewhere else for work you end up with two massive factors - the job itself and the new culture. If you don't like your work at the moment is it fair to assume you won't want the same job elsewhere? If so, how important to you, is the job you do - or are you just after a change of scenery?

Last questions - how much travelling have you done so far, have you spent any extended time abroad/away from home/family, and if so, does any particular type of place/culture/job appeal to you?
    Yeah, fire away with the questions, more than happy to answer!

I'm thinking overseas, partially because I'm thinking new career, new country, new start, learn new culture and travel? If that makes sense?

I don't mind the finance side of things, but long story short. I was working in department, I held alot of responsibility. I was doing work which should've been done by a higher grade individual. I did it for 4 years, they decided to reallocate me to another team. This was almost a demotion, I take pride in my work and I felt what they done was a slap in the face and my loyalty had meant nothing.

I know this happens in work, around the world, deal with it. But I want to feel passionate about working, rewarded and help others. And a change of scenery would be nice.

As for travelling, I've move around alot, Lived in few places around England, Germany and Scotland. Been to Austria 4 times and Spain 2 times, although Austria and Spain were holidays. As for spending time away from Family, isn't an issue, I know that much.

There isn't any particular place/culture/job that appeals to me so aslong as I'm working somewhere I can be useful, apply my skills, work up the career ladder, rewarded for it and gain more knowledge and soak in culture etc.

Hope this makes sense?

Thanks for your input guys.

Thanks

What sort of industry/field are you looking for?

Some people are happy to do menial work just to travel. Others want a "good" job, and you've said you want a challenge. There are tons of challenges out there, so again, some specifics would help, just to narrow it down a bit.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

What sort of industry/field are you looking for?

Some people are happy to do menial work just to travel. Others want a "good" job, and you've said you want a challenge. There are tons of challenges out there, so again, some specifics would help, just to narrow it down a bit.
    I'd like to get into IT but I guess a good paying job in that field will require some form of qualifications.

The only experience/qualifications I have is HR, Payroll, Finance (Accounts Payable and Banking) spanning over 13 years.

I want a challenge yes but also good paying job. I know this isn't going to be handed to me on a plate. Will probably check jobs on the internet over the weekend and look up TEFL.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Just be careful with TEFL - it has in the past got a bit of a bad rep for not being seen as a serious job - the teachers are paid badly and have few entitlements, and it's thought of as more like gap year type activity, so fun if you like being a student again, but not necessarily any good for progressing a career. I was once interested in going back to Japan for JET, but it's not so good these days.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Macman View Post
    I'd like to get into IT but I guess a good paying job in that field will require some form of qualifications.

The only experience/qualifications I have is HR, Payroll, Finance (Accounts Payable and Banking) spanning over 13 years.

I want a challenge yes but also good paying job. I know this isn't going to be handed to me on a plate. Will probably check jobs on the internet over the weekend and look up TEFL.
    Did you gain any qualifications when you spent your time in payroll or finance? If yes it may be worth investigating if these have parallels in other countries which could aid in the initial move to another country.
    Steam - ReapedYou - Feel free to add me!!

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Quote Originally Posted by Jowsey View Post
    Did you gain any qualifications when you spent your time in payroll or finance? If yes it may be worth investigating if these have parallels in other countries which could aid in the initial move to another country.
    The only qualifications I gained was SVQ L2 and ECDL, which isn't all that great.

Thanks

And do you have any specific countries/regions you'd like to visit?

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

And do you have any specific countries/regions you'd like to visit?
    Pretty much open to anywhere really.

Thanks

Accounting as a career stands a good chance of offering you a lot of flexibility - world is your oyster sort of thing. I'm based in Gibraltar and accountancy is a big sector here, but beyond just locals I see no end of accountants of various types from all over the world for a one or two year stint here and there. The ones who desire it definitely seem to get about, although getting a position with a big, reputable firm can help in that regard. Still, it's the sort of job that is extremely transferable and can pay well.

Having said that, there are a couple of other options - have you considered finding a local 'base' to work from and instead aim to make travel adventures part of your regular, annual plans? You don't have to live abroad, but instead can travel regularly?

I'm not personally very familiar with how a career in accountancy works from the inside out, but I'd suspect it's the sort of thing you need to stay in one place for, at least for a while. Not certain where the best foreign bases would be, but my guess is you'd find the best options in the developed countries around the world - so Europe/norther Europe, Japan, SE Asian countries, Australia, China etc. Places you could go and then use as a jumping off point for travels??

If you don't care about work in accounts then the question becomes - what other marketable skills do you have? Or would you be willing to train for a career in another field?

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Just be careful with TEFL - it has in the past got a bit of a bad rep for not being seen as a serious job - the teachers are paid badly and have few entitlements, and it's thought of as more like gap year type activity, so fun if you like being a student again, but not necessarily any good for progressing a career. I was once interested in going back to Japan for JET, but it's not so good these days.
    Did JET here, curious as to why you say it's not so good these days? Just the bad exchange rate?

If the OP has any questions about Japan or TEFL there will be happy to answer!

Registered+
    Thanks

You could always test the waters with a sabbatical for a charity.

http://www.projects-abroad.ca/ - not used this site just came up on a google search but something like this is less "final"

Thread Information