Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Step on a Bee Day

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Don't Step on a Bee Day

I find bees cute, and generally, very unintimidating. Any I find in the house will be gently and carefully assisted to leave.

Wasps, on the other hand, can be vindictive little beggars and I generally give them a few chances to be booted out alive, but out, they are going!

For several years, I had mused over the idea of keeping bees. They fascinate me and so does the notion of a small, regular supply of honey. Apparently, between a third and a half a teaspoon is the average lifetime's work, I.e. about 6 weeks, of a honey bee. Sadly, the garden is, I feel, just not quite big enough.

But I'm a bee fan .... preferably, not in the house, though. One, summer before last, I swear had B52 somewhere in his ancestry. As he flew over, he blocked out the sun. He was e-flippin'- normous.

Bagnaj97

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Sadly, the garden is, I feel, just not quite big enough.
    If you're worrying about their welfare, thankfully they have wings and are adept fliers. Despite your best efforts, hedges and fences will simply not keep them in.
    If you're worried about space for the hive(s), it seems you don't need much and I can't imagine urban beekeeping would have had such a rise in popularity if you needed acres of space.

https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6622 That looks like a helpful place for anyone tempted!

3. Received thanks from:

Saracen (11-07-2017)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

It's more a case of not wanting a hive of several thousand bees that close to ppen house windows, in summer. Also, to not having potential problems with neighbours.

Bagnaj97

It's more a case of not wanting a hive of several thousand bees that close to ppen house windows, in summer. Also, to not having potential problems eith neighbours.
    "If you have neighbours then you can encourage your bees to reach their normal flying height quickly by planting a hedge or placing a fence approximately 2m in front of the hive. Bees normally fly above head height at about 5m above the ground." https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/beekeeping/beehaus/

But I decided not to get a hive for similar reasons - neighbours and a toddler.

6. Received thanks from:

Saracen (11-07-2017)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sammyc View Post
    Heartily dislike the way you have capitalised that :/ Ugh
    It's the official rank I have given them. Just like Corporal, or Lieutenant... It's how I address them and so is capitalised.

All points about health issue granted, I still take issue with the us-centric view of what gets to live & die.... Where wrong place is just 'inconvenient to me'; there's no wrong place as far as the ant is concerned. If something really has to go it's a matter of me putting myself first, & justifying it, but it's to be regretted.
    No different to most other animals - No wrong place so far as they are concerned, but to the animal protecting/enforcing its territory, the target is most definitely "in the wrong place, pal...". The difference with flies and other insects is that growling and peeing around the place doesn't do anything. I don't believe they can even speak English, let alone read it, either...

I take a similar view to the rats and field mice that invade my rural home on occasion and I am NOT about to go all loving Buddhist Liberal on them, otherwise I'll end up dying of Leptospirosis!!

Those wayward wildlife wanderers that I can pick up and relocate (frogs especially), I do. Otherwise, it's a race to see if they can leave before I swat them. If you know a better way of keeping them out, I'm all ears...

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    It's the official rank I have given them. Just like Corporal, or Lieutenant... It's how I address them and so is capitalised.

No different to most other animals - No wrong place so far as they are concerned, but to the animal protecting/enforcing its territory, the target is most definitely "in the wrong place, pal...". The difference with flies and other insects is that growling and peeing around the place doesn't do anything. I don't believe they can even speak English, let alone read it, either...

I take a similar view to the rats and field mice that invade my rural home on occasion and I am NOT about to go all loving Buddhist Liberal on them, otherwise I'll end up dying of Leptospirosis!!

Those wayward wildlife wanderers that I can pick up and relocate (frogs especially), I do. Otherwise, it's a race to see if they can leave before I swat them. If you know a better way of keeping them out, I'm all ears...
    Cats.

They deal with most things. Apart from the errant Secret Slug that is currently living in my dining room and comes out at night to eat the cat's leftover biscuits.

Maybe I need a pet hedgehog for the slug situation.

9. Received thanks from:

spacein_vader (11-07-2017)

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

One, summer before last, I swear had B52 somewhere in his ancestry. As he flew over, he blocked out the sun. He was e-flippin'- normous.
    Bee 52

11. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (11-07-2017),Saracen (14-07-2017),spacein_vader (11-07-2017),Xlucine (13-07-2017)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by zak33 View Post
    there is

it's any day ending with the letters ay
    Quote Originally Posted by saracen View Post
    i thought this was beware of the moose century??
    lol!!

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    Cats.
    They deal with most things.
    How do they deal with flies and thripps... without leaping all over the place and knocking stuff over, I mean?

Plus - Which cat breeds are suitable for a wife who is severely allergic to cats and will also be friendly to three medium-sized enthusiastic puppydogs?

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Do you drink proper coffee tigs?

If so ... mulch around the plants you want to protect with the coffee grinds. Ants won't walk on them.

We used to have a real ant problem in one of our old houses, and being very anti-poison were desperate for a non-damaging way yo keep them out. Once we found out where they were coming in and started sticking the coffee grounds down, we didn't see another ant in the house!
    you beauty.

this works for slugs too, but I will try it with ants as my garden is plagued by them. I've lost numerous pot plants to them, when they next in the pot and kills the roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    you beauty.

this works for slugs too, but I will try it with ants as my garden is plagued by them. I've lost numerous pot plants to them, when they next in the pot and kills the roots.
    I don't - after having my heart condition fixed in 2011 that meant I culd drink caffeine again, I haven't really embraced it. However I do have a couple of coffee shops on the high street who I might be able to ask.

My trees are the ones plagued by ants... my little patio fruit trees.

Registered+
    Thanks

Who purposefully steps on a bee? Which monster... I do hate whenever they enter my home and start ramming into everything but I still wouldn't step on them...

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    you beauty.

Technically (under EU rules) it is illegal to use coffee grounds to control slugs (or ants) at it hasn't been licensed for such use and hasn't had an environmental impact assessment for such use. However you can use it as a mulch or soil improver!

http://www.independent.co.uk/propert...s-8081384.html

(and no - it isn't dated 1 April)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

18. Received thanks from:

tiggerai (11-07-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    All spiders - NCO & civilian - in & of themselves - shudder. Spiders with rank just adds a whole extra level of argh somehow. Fgs, enough power over me, already.

I did concede health issues, ie the principle of no wrong place and the practicalities are different; more so in some cases than others. Rats - no wrong place on paper but life threatening; rabbits - no wrong place but pinching your lettuce; moles - no wrong place but 'spoiling' your slide rule lawn, ants; no wrong place and likely not going to even bother you. If something HAS to go then it has to go (again, regrettably) but my idea of 'has to' is well toward the lenient, & inconvenient/unsightly aren't on the list. As far as I'm concerned, I'm in the mole's way, more so than the other way about. Hopefully at some point the Master Rabbit race will evolve and we'll get our turn , until then -

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    We used to have a real ant problem in one of our old houses, and being very anti-poison were desperate for a non-damaging way yo keep them out. Once we found out where they were coming in and started sticking the coffee grounds down, we didn't see another ant in the house!
    THIS (bold underline emphasis exclamation mark) - if death is avoidable, avoid it! Like, why wouldn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Technically (under EU rules) it is illegal to use coffee grounds to control slugs (or ants) at it hasn't been licensed for such use and hasn't had an environmental impact assessment for such use. However you can use it as a mulch or soil improver!

http://www.independent.co.uk/propert...s-8081384.html
    you can imagine how much I warmed to Dr Slug Pellet.
    Last edited by sammyc; 14-07-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

Thanks

I had to once - needed to get up higher to reach to change the lightbulb in a bathroom

Thanks

No bidet jokes please I've seen 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by snedger View Post
    I had to once - needed to get up higher to reach to change the lightbulb in a bathroom
    What part of 'no..'
    Aliorum vitia turbaverunt me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information