Thread: Time for a new credit card I think...

Thanks

Time for a new credit card I think...

So, I've been flight rebooking as something sudden came up two hours ago and I am no longer able to take my early morning flight. Having to pay for the change is unfortunate, but expected, but what is not expected is that the system is unable to process the request. I figured it might be the credit card company flagging something weird going on, but after calling the fraud team they basically say that they are not able to check if the card has been blocked or not as they only deal with lost cards, and to "keep trying" (at my risk of duplicating the transaction) or wait until their opening hours (6AM-10PM, UK time). I know it's 2AM, but frankly speaking, I do expect banks to be able to deal with those kind of issues 24/7 and be able to deal with those kind of issues. And I know that this bank used to, as I've sometime had to call from Japan in the past, where the timezone is obviously extremely different from the UK. Likewise, I've had customers from the other side of the world having to make a call just to allow the transaction. The security net, while sometime obstructive, is appreciated, but the ability to unblock should be as straightforward as possible.

Anyone can suggest a good CC with a responsive CS, a good security system (strike a good balance between safety and convenience) and preferably good for using abroad (favourable transaction rate etc.).

Thanks

Re: Time for a new credit card I think...

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    So, I've been flight rebooking as something sudden came up two hours ago and I am no longer able to take my early morning flight. Having to pay for the change is unfortunate, but expected, but what is not expected is that the system is unable to process the request. I figured it might be the credit card company flagging something weird going on, but after calling the fraud team they basically say that they are not able to check if the card has been blocked or not as they only deal with lost cards, and to "keep trying" (at my risk of duplicating the transaction) or wait until their opening hours (6AM-10PM, UK time). I know it's 2AM, but frankly speaking, I do expect banks to be able to deal with those kind of issues 24/7 and be able to deal with those kind of issues. And I know that this bank used to, as I've sometime had to call from Japan in the past, where the timezone is obviously extremely different from the UK. Likewise, I've had customers from the other side of the world having to make a call just to allow the transaction. The security net, while sometime obstructive, is appreciated, but the ability to unblock should be as straightforward as possible.

Anyone can suggest a good CC with a responsive CS, a good security system (strike a good balance between safety and convenience) and preferably good for using abroad (favourable transaction rate etc.).
    the only CS i could recommend that are 24/7 and based in the UK are first direct. had great service each time i have called them

Thanks

for dealing with Foreign currency get a monzo or revolut card... perfect exchange rate based on mastercard and saved me fortunes!

Thanks

First answer is, have several. Obviously pay the bill in full every month so you never pay interest. Then look at your rewards maximization strategy. For customer service, AMEX will always be best, however, acceptance isn't too widespread outside the USA. You are never on the hook for security breaches, but responsive customer service is important. The only bank that has made that hard for me has been Barclays (US), but that was eventually resolved within a couple of billing cycles.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Yes. No-one comes close to Amex in terms of credit cards.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post

In the last 24 hours I've also had online transactions declined. I checked with the bank who told me that I was not putting my cvc code in correct or the expiry even though I had done it 3 times and carefully with the same error. It could be the payment processor on the website or verify by visa.

Other than first direct am not sure who else does 24/7.

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!

You just can't beat first direct. I take huge umbridge at someone having my monies, but being difficult to get hold of. The principle of it grinds my teeth. Santander, I'm looking at you!

First direct, 24/7, none of that "press one for this, two for this... Seven for that..." no awkward opening times and nigh on instant answer when rung. No one comes close! That's what I expect when you have all my monies.

Thanks

I am using Smile, which I signed up at the time because of the cashback (and I always pay in full every month so that interest rate isn't a concern). I was pleased by the service for the longest time, with the main complaint being the limited amount of high street presences (via the Cooperative Bank) but isn't too much of a deal breaker as I seldom need to go to the bank. According customer service, they stopped 24/7 service for issues other than reporting lost/damaged card since February, so it is a relatively new development. I didn't realise that this practice is pretty common!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Yes. No-one comes close to Amex in terms of credit cards.
    That's true. Nobody else has ever been so bad, so incompetent, that after a written complaint, answered by the VP (Europe), a cheque for several hundred pounds was sent, in compensation. That said, it was a one-off, and quite some years ago.

In general, for "how to handle credit cards", TeePee's advice was pretty sound, eve if not quite what the OP asked.

I would add a couple of caveats, though.

First, on "several" ... well, yes. Probably. It is subject to caveat 2), but in general it makes sense to have at least one fall-back card. Just be aware that while "several" may generally be good, too many is definitely bad.

How many is too many? It depends on your circumstances, finances, needs and especially their respective credit limits. My strategy, over several decades, was too have a card for each of several specific purposes (business, personal, household, foreign travel, etc) BUT to ensure that all cards got periodically flexed.

Second caveat - consider what you need. These days, I don't really need a credit card at all. So, I fluctuate between one and none, and currently, none. The last one I had I dumped because they insisted on it being contactless-enabled. Seeing as I don't want contactless transactions enabled under any circumstances, I cancelled the card when they (NatWest) wouldn't either disable it or issue a non-contactless card. That was a good couple of years ago and, so far, I haven't needed snother card.

I suspect that not many people could, or would want to, manage without these days but I'm living proof that, yes, it is possible. My point, though is not to advocate none, but to point out that "several" might be too many. It depends on the individual.

Thanks

My logic on 'several' is based on your usage and goals especially for frequent travelers.

My cards are US based, and the rewards are slightly better here. I have, for example, a credit card for IHG hotels. It has an annual fee of $49 a year, and each year they give me a free night in any Intercontinental hotel worldwide. I've used this for the Intercontinental Hong Kong and in London, both of which are typically $300/night properties. I wouldn't claim a $251 value, because I wouldn't be staying there otherwise, but it's certainly a nice experience. The perks on hotel branded credit cards are generally spectacular, and I have a different card for every major hotel brand. I stay in a lot of hotels for work, and they offer more points for paying for the stay with their own card. I'm staying in a Marriott this week.

Similarly, I have a number of different Airline cards, and I've used those points for, among other trips, Cathay Pacific's First Class from NY to HKG, a ticket with a $28,000 retail price. I fly either First or Business to the UK a couple of times a year, again with points.

This, of course, is taking these programs to extremes, but there is a lot of opportunity here if you start with a goal, and put all of your purchases on one card to earn rewards to achieve it.

Saracen's advice is good, except everyone needs at least one credit card for security if nothing else. The most you can ever be liable for fraud is 50GBP. If your debit card number is stolen, and your account emptied, your money will eventually be returned to you, but you could face a lot of hassle in the mean time. If your credit card is used for fraud, it's just numbers on your next bill. Use a credit card for everything!

Always pay your bill in full every month. If you don't, your 22% interest payment will be paying for my next holiday!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Substitute "everyone" needs one for "almost everyone" and I agree. I'm the exception. I certainly don't "need" one, though there are times when it's convenient.

Given your lifestyle, TeePee, "need" is fair comment. And in years gone past, I was the same, with UK-US five or six timss a year, UK to Europe naybe a dozen dnd an odd trip here there to the Far East. Mostly, it was business, almost always business class and often upgraded to first, either using miles or, fairly often, gratis by the airline. I spent about 20 years as AA Advantage Platinum and got to some of ths Admiral's Club staff at Heathrow, JFK and Miami quite well.

But there days, I rarely travel far. My passport expired a couple of years ago and I haven't, and have no plans to, renew it. I don't need to travel any more, and there isn't really anywhere I want to go badly enough to put up with the hassle and indignities of modern international travel. I'd rather sit in the garden, or my study, listen to music, read or potter about gardening.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a Barclaycard with cash back. They are quite hot on security - I occasionally get phone calls asking me about transactions if they fall outside my usual spending profile.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thread Information