• Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

US State Rep made to look (more of) an idiot by that Borat man

I'm not going to post a link to this as it's potentially offensive, definitely NSFW, etc.

Have people seen Sacha Baron Cohen pretending to take this US State Rep (Jason Spencer) through anti-terror training? The guy totally buys it and goes all out to the point where SBC almost loses it with laughter. The serious side is it's a perfect exposure of the stereotypes this guy holds. The planning and psychology underpinning this is just brilliant on one level but also just hilarious for some guy who should know better doing totally stupid and outrageous stuff.

I personally like the fact that he is exposing the underlying motives and prejudice this guy holds as well as how stupid he is. Luckily his career in the House was already over and so he hasn't lost anything - I would feel bad if him trying to do something to help other politicians survive a kidnapping led to him losing his job, regardless of how idiotic and crass his actions.

Admin - if discussion of this content is not appropriate for the Hexus forums, please feel free to delete this thread and let me know as I struggle sometimes to figure where the line is. It's hard to know what some forums will accept and where others draw the line. Cheers.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: US State Rep made to look (more of) an idiot by that Borat man

Is that the one I saw the other night with the guy from Georgia threatening to remove certain body parts of certain terrorists with a bias towards certain religions from oil-rich producing sandy climates around the gulf region? I tuned in part-way through and thought it most bizarre and wondered if it linked into something from earlier in the show.

I thought the bit about the mosque building project in Arizona was an amazing wind-up-cum-expose. It really highlighed how comfortable some of those folk are about expressing what they really think. I'm not sure what the more shocking bit was, their thoughts, or that they felt comfortable enough to share them publicly and clearly without fear of persecution from others in the room. On the one hand I'm a staunch proponent of free speech, but on the other hand...

Much though I don't agree with their viewpoint, given that it was a closed room and their aim in that discussion was not to belittle or provoke anyone in that room (ignoring that we knew SBC was in character) they were discussing their views, and we have to accept that it is healthy to enable people to speak their mind where malice is not the aim. Does that make sense?

edit: presumably it is only through debate and education people change their views. Is it dangerous, the bottled-up frustration of the repressed (or surpressed), be that emotionally, idealogically, sexually etc? One day they just snap and it all comes out - potentially badly? I'm thinking about the nagged and belittled spouse who one day snaps and explodes in rage; the disgruntled class of people with no great education / employment prospects who end up rioting; the person uncomfortable in their own skin/sexual attractiveness or whatever who ends up raping someone... Presumably all of these things can be mitigated in some way through letting them voice their problems - and having people actually listen to them and seek to help them. It's presumably how coups happen - where a populace resents the leadership and feels they are not representing them. Give them sufficient opportunity and a sufficient depth of resentment and it's a powder keg. It's seen (in a lesser way) in the people who are on record as saying they voted for Brexit "to send the government a message we don't like what they're doing". Bit of bad way of doing it, but finally those people felt they had a platform.

Perhaps that's too narrow a way of looking at it? Others on here will probably have a better perspective on things no doubt.
    Last edited by ik9000; 29-07-2018 at 07:24 PM.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Re: US State Rep made to look (more of) an idiot by that Borat man

I think we're on about different episodes. This guy was screaming the N word and taking upskirt burka pictures. As well as trying to attack the Borat man with his bare behind.

Thread Information