Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: HEXUS Community Review Sept 2018 - Would you like to review a SteelSeries mouse?

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

HEXUS Community Review Sept 2018 - Would you like to review a SteelSeries mouse?

Hi lovely HEXUS Community people

The Forums are a good place to be because you all make it that way.

So we're looking to put some love back out there

It's HEXUS COMMUNITY READER REVIEW TIME

Our friends at SteelSeries have put something cool on the table.

We want three Good and True Forum Members, who REALLY NEED A NEW MOUSE, but are struggling to justify buying one.... to have a nice new SteelSeries mouse, use it, review it honestly and then to write the review here, within TWO weeks of it arriving.
    (You need to be in the UK for this please)

It's a very good mouse. I'm quite jealous as it goes.

SteelSeries RGB Sensei 310 Ambidextrous eSports Gaming Mouse
    https://steelseries.com/gaming-mice/sensei-310
    https://www.scan.co.uk/products/stee...CABEgKMVPD_BwE

Fancy that? Do you fancy plugging that bad boy in and using it, testing it, then telling us what you think?
    (AND..... if you want to review a Rival 310 instead (right handed only), we will sort it with them in lieu)

So here's the offer - we want a Reader Review : 350 to 500 words -photo's would be nice too, in situ on your desk.
    HEXUS & SteelSeries will provide the mouse and, you get to keep it

So, how do you enter? What will determine how we choose who gets a crack at this?

Easy.. tell us (and show us) just how bad your current mouse is. Make us feel sorry for you. Make us laugh too if you can.

Perhaps you have a PS2 old schooler, in hearing-aid-beige? Perhaps you've never had a mouse worth more than the freebie that came with your Gran's Dell PC, in 2010?
    Perhaps, like DR here, you rolled over the USB plug with your office chair and totally arsed-up your old mouse (true story)

OK..over you

We will choose the lucky Reader Reviewers next week (week commencing 24th Sept 18) once everyone who want to step forward has... stepped forward

Good luck.
    Last edited by Zak33; 27-09-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: extended one week review time to two weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

2. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (18-09-2018),Saracen (19-09-2018)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: HEXUS Community Review Sept 2018 - Would you like to reivew a SteelSeries mouse?

I would like to say a big thank you to Hexus and Steelseries for organising this forum giveaway and will be excited to see the reviews and what people will be upgrading from!

Thanks

Re: HEXUS Community Review Sept 2018 - Would you like to reivew a SteelSeries mouse?

As I sat here looking at my twin laser, RGB, more buttons than the shuttle, 2 billion dpi mouse I just don't think I can get away with saying I need a new one, but good luck to whoever gets it
    Jon

5. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (18-09-2018),Zak33 (18-09-2018)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    As I sat here looking at my twin laser, RGB, more buttons than the shuttle, 2 billion dpi mouse I just don't think I can get away with saying I need a new one, but good luck to whoever gets it
    LOL,I thought my one was not bad(due to the selectable lighting),but yours has twin lasers.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

I'm game.

I am currently using a Gigabyte mouse because it was the cheapest one I could find that had two buttons on the side. To be fair to it, the thing is pretty responsive and the rubber pad on the side hardly ever has to be glued back on again.

8. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (20-09-2018)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    and the rubber pad on the side hardly ever has to be glued back on again.
    Made me smile!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

10. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (20-09-2018)

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Going to throw my hat into the ring here:

Two big events in my life happened in 2007. Firstly I got married, but more importantly I spent the grand total of £12.79 for a "Microsoft Keyboard & Mouse value pack" from Dabs, an e-tailer so poor that being bought out by BT was actually an improvement. The keyboard has long since died, but the mouse soldiers on.

According to the underside it's a Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A (I assume the A stands for Awesome,) and boasts of compatibility not only with a PS/2 port but also one of those newfangled USB jobs. It's very compatible on the software side too, with driver support for Windows XP, 2000 and the promise of day 1 drivers for the upcoming Vista which I'm sure we'll all love for years to come. Gaining a 33% increase in buttons over my previous rodent thanks to the mousewheel doubling up as a clickable 3rd button and the sleek black looking much better than my previous beige affair I was mightily impressed.

But what really makes it stand out are the mods I've made to it since. Originally this thing had a Microsoft logo at the back but years of my sweaty palms all over it have worn it down, a cause of great empathy between it and my wife. There's also a noticable sheen on the left mouse button where years of fingering have worn it smooth, a cause of [REDACTED]. The stand out feature though has to be the thin crust that has built up in the grooves of the mousewheel and between the buttons that has accumulated over the years and has been latterly added to by my children so that it contains roughly equal parts skin, sweat, saliva and playdoh. Given the delicate ecology of the mouse (I'm pretty sure it's inhabitants are mere days away from discovering fire,) I'd like to be able to retire it to the Wildlife Trust as a Site of Special Scientific Interest and thus need a replacement.

Obviously that replacement would be reviewed against the backdrop of this long serving, battleworn hardware. Does the (presumably,) higher DPI make a noticable difference in gaming? Is Steelseries Vista support as strong? Can my tiny brain deal with more than 3 buttons? There's only one way to find out...

12. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (20-09-2018),peterb (20-09-2018),Zak33 (20-09-2018)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Good luck, participants!!

bios curious
    Thanks
    • Mr_Jon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock AB350 Pro4
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 48GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO NVME
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6750XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define XL R2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung C32JG50 WQHD @ 144hz

I'd like to "reivew" a SteelSeries mouse.

Mostly because my current one is headed rapidly for the knackers yard - due to failure to clean off what I can only describe as years of "hand gunk", which has now worked it's way under the quite vital lmb - and a free one sounds eminently better than buying one.

15. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (20-09-2018)

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

ok good people, keep the love coming.

Who else is up for a Review and Keeping what could be the nicest mouse you ever own?

"The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post

Two big events in my life happened in 2007. Firstly I got married, but more importantly I spent the grand total of £12.79 for a "Microsoft Keyboard & Mouse value pack" from Dabs, an e-tailer so poor that being bought out by BT was actually an improvement. The keyboard has long since died, but the mouse soldiers on.

According to the underside it's a Wheel Mouse Optical 1.1A (I assume the A stands for Awesome,) and boasts of compatibility not only with a PS/2 port but also one of those newfangled USB jobs. It's very compatible on the software side too, with driver support for Windows XP, 2000 and the promise of day 1 drivers for the upcoming Vista which I'm sure we'll all love for years to come. Gaining a 33% increase in buttons over my previous rodent thanks to the mousewheel doubling up as a clickable 3rd button and the sleek black looking much better than my previous beige affair I was mightily impressed.

But what really makes it stand out are the mods I've made to it since. Originally this thing had a Microsoft logo at the back but years of my sweaty palms all over it have worn it down, a cause of great empathy between it and my wife. There's also a noticable sheen on the left mouse button where years of fingering have worn it smooth, a cause of [REDACTED]. The stand out feature though has to be the thin crust that has built up in the grooves of the mousewheel and between the buttons that has accumulated over the years and has been latterly added to by my children so that it contains roughly equal parts skin, sweat, saliva and playdoh. Given the delicate ecology of the mouse (I'm pretty sure it's inhabitants are mere days away from discovering fire,) I'd like to be able to retire it to the Wildlife Trust as a Site of Special Scientific Interest and thus need a replacement.

Obviously that replacement would be reviewed against the backdrop of this long serving, battleworn hardware. Does the (presumably,) higher DPI make a noticable difference in gaming? Is Steelseries Vista support as strong? Can my tiny brain deal with more than 3 buttons? There's only one way to find out...
    every part of that came with violins and yet.. I believe you entirely.
    Any chance of a photo of the old girl?

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    every part of that came with violins and yet.. I believe you entirely.
    Any chance of a photo of the old girl?
    Here she is, denuded on her front and back:

I assume you meant the mouse?

19. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (20-09-2018)

MaQ
    Registered+
    Thanks

Good luck to all who do the review.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post

And that made me LOL - my only concern is whether the steel series would support the same biodiverse flora...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    And that made me LOL - my only concern is whether the steel series would support the same biodiverse flora...
    i can send yoghurt.....

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: HEXUS Community Review Sept 2018 - Would you like to review a SteelSeries mouse?

Right, who wants to review these mice ?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information