• Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Always check Bing, not just Google

For some of you this is seriously obvious, but for others, it won't be.

For the last month I have been using Bing immediately before or after Google on the same searches to compare and I have found some things on Bing that never ever show on Google.

That whole lack of Net Neutrality thing is starting to show up in some walks of life.
    One of our long term HEXUS members, who's a good mate, had asked me to help him search for something, historicn online. He had found absolutely nothing of any use.
    And by co incidence I had just started my search comparison....

Bing found exactly what i wanted immediately and many pages of it! Even KNOWING what I was then looking for, Google utterly failed on every count.

Now there are many potential reasons for this, not simply including the fact that Google spiders had missed it entirely. There is a possibility that Google was deliberately missing the web pages in question, for some odd/financial/commercial/political reason.

So, the question: do you have any examples yourself, and do you use mutiple search engines? Because I do now.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Re: Always check Bing, not just Google

I use DuckDuckGo, it's not as good in terms of search results as the big boys, but usually get the answers I need from it. Mainly because I don't care to give Google more of my data, i'm already signed in on youtube and gmail and use Chrome as my main browser! But sometimes I'll check google, for things like maps etc. which is far superior with google (but then use incognito on Firefox). I'm not in any way paranoid btw.

I have noticed different results with different search engines before (going back many years)... guess it depends on the parameters that the engines use. It'll probably also depend on what you're searching for.

Thanks

I have done for a while, I tend to start with Bing but then if I cant find what I want I look at Google.

4. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (25-10-2019)

Registered+
    Thanks

I used to use a search aggregate like dogpile but havent bothered for some time and tend to stick to google now.

Thanks

I haven't looked for anything sufficiently obscure that I haven't been able to find on Google for a long, long time.

I used in my favorite a list of search engines and metasearch engines (more than a dozen), but haven't needed that.

Thanks

I'm like TooNice .... but different.

For many years, I haven't searched for anything with a sufficient lack of success that I actually resorted to using Google, which I avoid with the same enthusiasm as I avoid a dose of Ebola. It's not that I might not find it on Google, more that I won't give Google a single byte of data on me that I can avoid.

But I take Zak's point, and with my journalist hat on - always double-check, cross-check and verify your sources. It's a good way to avoid getting sued.

8. Received thanks from:

Zak33 (25-10-2019)

Thread Information